Comments by JumpAround

JumpAround

Did he delete his original post and then leave the thread? I remember saying in response to him blaming a loss on poor officiating, the weather, the field (at a home game), and whatever else he could throw in there how ridiculous all those excuses were. He also said that CSAS is an under-skilled and lucky team. They're not lucky, and could suprise people. I'm pretty sure that is the extent of "comments by jumparound".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to set the record straight on the Page/CSAS message board in which the discussion got pretty heated.

JumpAround made the comment that CSAS is a good team and that Page fans were ludicrous for blaming the weather and the officials for their loss.

As a neutral fan at this game who had no preference as to who won, I cannot blame Page fans for being upset when the referee allows the lines lady to overrule him on a goal for a high kick that was hardly a high kick. How often is that really called, especially in the playoffs? And when CSAS scores their game-winner on an offside pass, not a questionable offside, but a blatant one, that is a tough pill for Page fans to swallow. Referees are human and make mistakes, but when you're this deep into the playoffs, such gross misinterpretations that clearly influence the outcome of the game cannot be tolerated.

And as far as the weather, playing in a driving rainstorm always makes for a fun and exciting game. But you cannot possibly play underwater, which the right offensive corner was for Page High. I don't want to give them excuses. It's merely an observation, and it's a definite influence on the game. I see #1 Ridgeway postponed their game until Monday because of weather. Smart move.

According to my information, the last time a Page team made sub-state, they lost on the final PK in a shootout (1997). And in 2003, they had a great team that had been coming up through the ranks for 4 years and finally got another shot at making state, only to lose like this. Page has already paid their dues. It was their time. CSAS hasn't ever done anything in the past. They aren't ready for the state tournament yet. But life's not always fair, and the less talented team qualified.

As far as the comments made by JumpAround indicating that CSAS is a good team and Page must not be talented for beating CA 3-0, let me give you the real scoop.

I saw the Page/CA game in the Region 4 Finals, and unlike CCS, Page played their JV for the entire second half. Does that help you with the 3-0 score? And just because CSAS took CCS to a shootout and lost 1-0 to CCS on two occasions, I wouldn't automatically say they were a great team. A good team? Okay. But CCS had trouble with Kingston, Sweetwater, and Warren County this season, and I wouldn't call them great teams.

Page played incredibly good soccer against 4 schools going to the AAA or Division II state tourney (USN, BGA, Smyrna, and Centennial).

While you were playing your Sectional game against CA Saturday, Page was completely dominating CSAS until the waters began seeping into the right corner. There is no doubt in my mind that Page was the better team, and would have beaten CSAS on a dry field by at least 2 goals. I'm not insulting CSAS. Page was simply the better team, and that's coming from an unbiased viewpoint. Page also would have taken CAK out of the playoffs and Ezell-Harding in that bracket as well.

If CSAS beats CAK, I'll be amazed. I've seen CAK play 4 times this year, and I'd bet money on them. Sorry CSAS, there's no rain in the forecast for Memphis Wednesday. You're out of luck.

And sorry CCS player “JumpAround” who is spoiled by playing for a team that makes it to sectionals every year (except for the Sweetwater debacle last year). Keep in mind when you've won 2 state championships in the last 5 years, it's hard to appreciate what it's like to have a shot once every 6 years. I know, I know, Page should work harder to be like CCS, right? Well, when you're a public school, you take the players you can get. You don't have players from all over town, some who have parents that sent their kid to CCS just so they could play competitive soccer. Most of the boys on that Centennial team that is now state bound went to Page Middle School right across the street but didn't end up at Page High. If they had those guys, Page would win the state easily.

And CCS wouldn't have a chance if they hadn't split A/AA and AAA in 1997, or if they made all private schools play in Division II with the big boys. CCS is a big fish in a little pond, but admittedly you have a fabulous soccer program. Just appreciate what you have and don't insult those who are trying to put together a winning soccer program in the public school system.

Hey i respect what you say peter but please don't talk about the CCS soccer program like that. We are not a big fish in a little pond. We play Div II schools and some of the top teams from Georgia and we beat some of them. There are 300 kids in our high school and we aren't allowed to recruit. The only reason we have a good soccer program is because we have an amazing coach who has invested 25 years of his life to our school and built the program from scratch. We don't take anything for granted and we work just as hard as any other team. I would even contend that we have one of the toughest regions in the state but that is a topic for another debate. CSAS is a very talented team and i know that because i play club ball with many of their players and we play teams from all over the state and beat them. It sounds like the Page/CSAS game was pretty sketchy and i wasn't even there to see it but i will say that CSAS is very ready for a state championship and they really want it. They have very solid seniors that lead the team and i think they deserve a great deal of respect. Every game is different and any team can beat any other team on any given day. I know when i see good soccer because i've played against the best from all over Tennessee and CSAS has a few of the best players. If you put refs, weather, and all that other stuff aside (yes it can be a major factor) the team that wants it more will win. That is how games work. The team that works harder and has a greater desire for the victory usually...not always but usually wins. Page may have deserve the win but CSAS got it and i'm not surprised. Oh and by the way....CCS played their JV for all but five minutes of the second half of the CA game as well so don't even go there because Page tied them and beat them by only one in the regular season so obviously they had some trouble with CA. Like i said each game is different and has different factors that contribute to the outcome. Soccer is soccer and it's awesome so enjoy it but stop making excuses for things because they happen and there is nothing that can be done to change it. I hope this comment doesn't sound mean because that is not my intention. I just wanted to calmly state my point of view in response to your post.

Most of what you say is very true. However, you make some blanket statements which have very little truth to them.

CSAS traveled three hours and came away with a win. They deserve credit for that. They are a smaller public school in Chattanooga, who just so happen to have several of the top Chattanooga players on their team. They will give CAK a very[/b] good game. Two years ago when CCS won state, CSAS played them to three 1 goal games. Both teams were arguably stronger then. They are a program that has been around, and they have never made it out of region because, yes, CCS typically makes it, but this region also has Boyd-Buchanon who just happens to be having a rebuilding time. CSAS can and does play with the best teams in Chattanooga.

You're right CCS's subs didn't play the ENTIRE second half like those soccer gods at Page, but they did play well over 30 minutes. CCS had a 2-0 lead at half and the shots were roughly 15-1 at half. Then 4 goals were scored in 5 minutes and all the starters were pulled.

I never said CCS was a great team. On a good day we can play with anyone as we showed against Dalton GA, a PUBLIC school, who has outscored opponents 94-6 this year. Their players told us we were the toughest team they had played all year. Then we can come out against teams like Grace and Sweetwater and allow them to tie us. CCS played very good soccer against Lovett (GA AAA semifinals, still going), Westminster (GA AAA quarterfinals, Dalton (AAAA semis), Randolph Academy (AL state champs last year), Mccallie(still playing), ECS (still playing), and other teams.

Also if you are going to pull history out, look in 1995 where CCS made it to the state final four. CCS plays the schools it has to for region play, and then looks to play any bigger or better school it can. Over the last three seasons we've played Mccallie each year, Baylor twice, Brentwood, Houston, Farragut, McIntosh and Bishop England (some of the top teams in the nation). We play teams to improve and not to inflate our record. Our school fields about 26 players a year. As it is, players have to swing to field a varsity and jv, and they both do well.

Big fish in little pond=Brentwood, Farragut, Bearden (wealthy public schools) Baylor, Mccallie, BGA, MBA (wealthy private schools), not a small christian school like CCS.

props to ccs and anyone else whose school actually supports the soccer program. C.A. soccer, boys and girls, jr high and varsity, is operated and coached by parents/volunteers. the boys had an incredible previous three years, with 3 srs. off last years team playing college soccer this past fall. this years team was down talent wise, but the work ethic and desire remained. last fall the girls team had great success. however, continued success is highly unlikely without the support of the school.

HeHaw107 and jumpAround have made some good points.

To build the soccer dynasty that CCS has in girls and guys soccer with such a small student body is amazing. And I am a big fan of the CCS coach, who is a great guy and the driving force behind the dynasty.

I just have to admit that the CSAS I saw playing Saturday night had surprisingly few standout players. Some Page players were saying that CSAS wasn't even as challenging to play as half the teams on their schedule. And if you look at that Page schedule, there are some real duds on it. But of course, every team has an off night, and you can never judge a team by one match. I sincerely feel that Page deserved to play CAK in Memphis this week based on their play, by a long shot.

I do respect the CCS soccer program and mean you no slander.

Peter, its rediculus how you say you are unbiased.

First off, that field was the worst field I've played on in my entire club, school and odp career. How can page even stand to play on that pile of crap? Page DEFINITELY had a home field advantage.

Secondly, Why are you complaining about the refs?? What do you think about the first goal page received when the ref called a handball (very delayed call) on our keeper giving Page a shot ten feet from the net. Our players had to line up on the goal line....basically it was an automatic goal. Also, I believe we had something like six yellow cards while page had two maybe.

So take away our "off sides" goal and you take away one of pages goals. Don't blame the weather for anything, both teams experienced it. Page had the home field advantage, so shouldn't they have know something about that right corner, and maybe changed their strategy?

Another thing about that right corner. CSAS parents spent about an hour before the game draining that water off that corner with no help for anyone one Pages side.

Pages only good player was 21. Ill give my props to him. He kept his cool and played good the whole game. Players like that deserve to go to state...unfortunately Page didn't have enough of them. Nothing anyone can say will change anything about the teams in the state. Good luck to all of those still competing.

Okay weinerbomb. Let's talk.

First of all, please learn how to spell so I can read your "rediculus" messages.

You say that I am definitely not unbiased? You're incorrect. When I said I was unbiased, I meant that I was routing neither for Page nor CSAS. I was simply an innocent bystander at the game.

Was the field the worst you've ever played on? Yes, probably. It's one of the worst I've ever seen too. But was it a home field advantage for Page High? No, it wasn't. You said they should have known about that corner flooding. But it was a recent drainage repair that was incorrectly done that caused the field to flood for the first time Saturday night. So the Page coaches and players expected that flooding about as much as you guys did, which was they didn't expect it at all.

You say both teams had to play in the same mess? Incorrect. Which team had to play offense in 3 inches of water in which the ball would not roll? Page, not CSAS.

Every yellow card I saw was justified. And I didn't think it influenced the game in any way. I think CSAS knows their goal was offsides, and I think they know the Page "high kick" goal should not have been taken away. They beat you fair and square on that shot. And yes, the indirect kick should have not been called either. That leaves the score at 2-2. So you go to overtime, perhaps a shootout. I guarantee you Page is a team that can hit all 5 shots in a shootout. Check out their recent history. And CSAS proved they couldn't hit the side of a barn in the CCS shootout. Do you think I'm trying to make CSAS look bad? Of course not. I'm just telling the truth. I know soccer backwards and forwards. I was coaching soccer 20 years before you were even born "weiner boy". I know how to analyze the game.

What the final score should have been: Page 3, CSAS-2 after a 3-0 shootout win for Page. Case closed.

Oh, by the way, for those of you who weren't at the Page vs. CSAS game and don't know who to believe and which team played the better game, I took stats.

Scoring opportunities:

Page: 22, CSAS: 5

Approximate time of possession in the offensive zone:

Page: 45 minutes, CSAS: 20 minutes

Last, you say the only good player for Page was #21. He is indeed a good player. However, there are another 7 members of the Page squad that were on a state championship travel team this past summer, and you are actually going to lie to these people in coacht-land and say they weren't talented?

There were only 2 players I saw for CSAS who were pretty decent. All the rest played kickball. And that's not soccer.

Edited by peterw