Cumberland vs Jefferson

PureFP

Fastpitch has come a long way here in Cumberland County. These girls have been playing together since they were about 9 or 10, and are the same group that won the Dixie World Series at the 11-12-13 age group. THey have the talent and the experience of playing together, but not the past that Soddy has in playing in the state tourney. It's great to see them do so well. Thanks for the support! And if they don't win it all, I am also for Soddy since they are coming out of the same region!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got done looking at your (Cumb. Co.) roster and stats on www.tssaa.org.

There is something to be said for playing together. There is also something to be said for having 3 junior pitchers, all with 14-1 records, all with ERA's less than 1.00, plus another 2 pitchers?

What do you do up there, grow pitchers in the mountain air? :D

Edited by PureFP

Heck if I know! Seriously, we were fortunate to have a quality youth program developed when these girls were at the right age. Like I said, fastpitch here has come a long way in a relatively short time. I was playin small-college ball when these girls first started playing Dixie. All we had was slowpitch until high school, which put us at a disadvantage when playing teams from areas where the kids had always played fastpitch. Plus ya gotta remember-no matter how much we've grown, Cumberland County and Crossville still have the smalltown feel. There's just not a whole lot for kids to do around here. Kids spend a lot of their free summer time hangin' out at the ballpark. I hope to see the Lady Jets play tougher tomorrow against Soddy. Win or lose it should be a great game, and it speaks volumes for the quality of softball in this region.

Yeah, I was at one of the very first NSA tournaments they ever played in - the Coffee County Classic in Manchester - they were the cyclones in that columbia blue uniform - they were very "green" since they were coming out of Dixie Youth, and that wasn't that long ago - "they've come a long way, baby!!" There's a lot to be said for staying together for so long, but, honestly, you've got to have a coach that has a huge interest in keeping all of those pitchers happy - we have had soooooooo many quit and/or get discouraged before they really had a chance to develop!! My hat's off to your program!!!!