SPRING FLING- IT`S JUST TOO FAR AWAY

DS2001

I know the west Tennessee people will dislike this comment, but for about 65% of the state , the spring fling is just too far a driving distance for many fans to come. I thought it was pretty well organized for the first year..... Most of the sites were first class facilities.... The baseball venues were too spread out.... I saw the article in the Commercial Appeal today about the Fling and how Ronnie Carter was ecstatic about how it went. What did you expect him to say. The TSSAA took the best financial deal and they are never going to criticize their own decision. The bottom line is that many West Tennesseans got to see a Spring Fling for the first time and that is good. But many veteran Spring Fling Goers from Middle and East Tennessee were denied that same oppotunity because of the distance factor.

Hopefully, after a few years the TSSAA will see fit to see the Fling become less geographically challenged for the majority of the state.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RHSTIGERS

I got to go to Memphis and see the Tigers play. Memphis did a good job with the fling. I hear several people complaining about it being spread out too far . I was in Chattanooga 2 years ago and it was spread out there also. I hear about the construction. Chattanooga had construction too. I heard about the bad side of town. I myself never saw that. It was the same kind of atmosphere there as in Chattanooga. I believe it would be the same no matter where the games are played. We in east Tennessee now understand how west Tennessee has felt . Is there anyone in Memphis or Jackson who believes the fling should be played in middle Tennessee. I myself believe it should . Not just for the teams but for the fans also.

The distance factor was what many, including myself, were screaming about when the T$$AA shipped it out to the suburb of West Memphis, Arkansas. I wish Ronnie would listen to the voice of reason for once.

Have you ever been to West Memphis? It's a truck stop, that's all it is.

If you'd get your head out of the sand, you'd realize Memphis is a good host for events like this. So what if we're in a corner of the state. Last I checked, it came here from a different corner of the state.

We in east Tennessee now understand how west Tennessee has felt . Is there anyone in Memphis or Jackson who believes the fling should be played in middle Tennessee. I myself believe it should . Not just for the teams but for the fans also.

I think it should rotate, but be in Nashville if it has to be in one place.

But if you're putting it out to bid, you have to go with whoever offers you the best package of facilities and other incentives. This time, that was Memphis.

ok here it goes... i live in Middle tn... this is the first year i have ever went to the Spring Fling.... and i drove almost 4 hours there..... for the last 15-20 mins of the Rockwood Tigers game.... and i turned around and drove almost 4 hours home..... that was the first and last 15-20 mins that i saw the Tigers play this year.... yes they got beat that game.... and had to come home.... but i just think if u really wanted to go..... then u would have went!! 8 hours for 15-20 mins.... and I'm sure if some of ya'll went ya'll would have stayed longer then that..... but if we r votin..... Nashville would be a great place to have it!!! but i just wanted to tell ya'll that!!! if u wanta go a few to 6 hours is not that bad of a drive!!! but til next time... have a good day!! :o:o:)

Tigers.... i just wanted to let ya'll know it was the best 15-20 mins i saw of Baseball all year.... i think it was because i wanted to see ya'll play sooooo bad!! but next year i see alot more!!! but til then.... Play Hard (E.T.)..... and have a great day(everybody)!!

Edited by 99ALLTHEWAY

We went to Chattanooga last year and although it was far away from west tn, I would have driven to Mars for a chance to win a state championship. I don't care if it was in Bristol, if my team is playing, we are gonna be there and so are our fans. Distance doesn't matter, getting to play for the hardware is what matters.

Would it be too much trouble to rotate between 3 or 4 cities?

I believe that it will be in Memphis for two more years and then move to Middle Tennessee PROVIDED some communtiy shows a genuine interest in hosting it. And, no, I don't mean that genuine interest has to be pouring money into the TSSAA coffers at the expense of all else. I mean truly wanting the Fling because, if you don't, getting the cooperation you need throughout the community for volunteers, venues, etc is tough. The amount of money paid does matter, though, since the more monetary investment is made then the more the cities want it to pay off.

I do not think you need to rotate it among cities for not only the reason above but because experience is absolutely the best teacher in something like this. The mistakes Memphis made this year are all correctable and will be for next year and improvement will continue the next. If you waited and came back to Memphis again in three or four years there would be different people in place there in key positions and mistakes would be much more likely to repeat themselves.