TSSAA DEAD PERIOD

spanky51jhs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The dead preiod means that a coach cannot have any organized meetings with his players. i.e. field house closed, no organized weight lifting, ect. ec. What most teams do is meet at a gym off campus and the team has their own work-outs without any coaches present. Its a stupid rule in my opinion because of just what I stated, most kids just get together at a local gym and work out. Also know some coaches that pay a trainer to watch their kids at the gym to make sure they are actually working out, not just goofing off.

As a football coach I wish the dead period was early in the summer.We start then stop.We onley get three weeks before we start.But there is no way that each sport can have their own dead period. We as coaches are to blame in the long run. The kids need some time off from us and we need the time off also. At first I did not like it ,now its just part of the summer.

All of the indoor facilities at the school (including the gym) are supposed to be closed and locked! The rule was put into place to limit AAU programs use of high school facilities and to allow kids some down time in the summer. If it's going to work, the following rules must be added:

1. No high school Basketball or baseball coach can coach summer league teams with his H.S. players. (summer practice is already limited with the H.S. teams but the rules are not strictly enforced).

2. If there is going to be a dead period, it must be inclusive of all TSSAA sports and all high school facilities (gym, weight room, baseball, softball, and football facilities... locked shut).

3. The enforcement phase must include stiff fines and penalties to give the rule some teeth. The standard now is if you get caught, you have to add another week to it the next year. I know of coaches who ignore it all together simply because there isn't a financial cost to them for breaking it.

4. Every principal should be held accountable (fine) for enforcing the dead period at their school. IN other words, if the basketball coach breaks the rule, both he and the principal should be fined.

I have heard some talk about changing it, but whose to say they won't make it worse? IN Texas, there is no contact (except by mail) between players and coaches. I understand why they did what they did, but without enforcement, those who elect to cheat have almost no reason not to (except ethics).

I'm for giving the kids a break too, but why not have the dead period directly after school is out for the summer? I know that different systems get done on different dates but they have it (dead period) scheduled right when teams are getting prepared for the upcoming season? Plus bigman72, you aren't going to improve that much in two weeks unless your on the juice. If you want to show a coach how much you want to improve, it needs to start WAY before the dead period time.

Edited by coachcornbread

I'm for giving the kids a break too, but why not have the dead period directly after school is out for the summer?  I know that different systems get done on different dates but they have it (dead period) scheduled right when teams are getting prepared for the upcoming season?  Plus bigman72, you aren't going to improve that much in two weeks unless your on the juice.  If you want to show a coach how much you want to improve, it needs to start WAY before the dead period time.

COACHCORNBREAD, YOU MIGHT NOT IMPROVE THAT MUCH IN TWO WEEKS, BUT YOU CAN DEFINATELY TELL WHO HAS BEEN WORKING OUT IN THAT 2 WEEKS COMPARED TO THOSE WHO HAVENT.