Parents and football.

eaglefan15

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to knock anyone who helps support his family by paying his own way with summer and weekend jobs but I don't think anyone should miss playing sports or playing in the band because of work. Kids need to be kids until they graduate from high school! I tell my players each year, you only get 40 football games promised to you throughout your four years of high school. Most kids only get to play in about 20 games with a few playing in 30, so enjoy it while you can. You will be working for the rest of your life and you only get to be a kid once in your life. My boys both worked at restaurants and played football throughout high school. It can be done and you can keep your grades up if you're willing to pay the price. I hate it when parents pull their children from sports! In my opinion, they should find other ways to punish their kids. The lessons learned from football go way beyond the gridiron! It teaches more about self discipline, team work, and self sacrifice than any lesson you will learn in school. It teaches perseverance and helps young boys become men! There is a plaque at West Point that has a quote from a general from World War II that says, "I need a volunteer for a very difficult mission, I need a West Point Football Player!" I think that says it all.

Edited by ELA