Parents and football.

eaglefan15

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Johnny C.....too bad there are not more kids who have your insight. I grew up playing sports and had my parents' full support. They helped carpool players to practice and sold tickets at the gate, and sold concessions. They taught me that if I wanted anything extra that I must earn it on my own. I had to borrow their car for dates, or double with a friend. I worked a summer job, but was not allowed to work during the school year. My summer money had to stretch thru the school year. That meant paying for gas, movies, etc on my own. I had jobs to do around the house. No pay for them either. Although if I needed some extra cash, I could work extra jobs at home to obtain the money. I appreciated what I earned and tried to use my own money conservatively. My prom cost me about 100.00, that included a corsage , food, gas, tux, and tickets. Now days kids spent more than 500.00 for prom. It is ridiculous!! I got scholarships for college and student loans. I paid the loans back myself.

I agree that maybe parents are over-indulging their kids. Fancy cars are more of a status symbol for the parenst...their way to prove that they are successful. Kids want more and more. I think that is why some kids are no longer dedicated to their sports. They don't have to work for their material goods, so if they aren't starting in ball...they just quit.

My child plays 2 sports that run year around and he works 2 jobs plus plays his sports and does well in his grades. He pays his car payments himself and pays his gas and extra things he wants to do. However his friends have been given brand new cars, gas, and extra money and they are everyday spinning their tires in the schools parking lots and each day staying out late each night with crowds at partys. As one of the kids told me" If I wreck my grandma will buy me another car and if I need money I can get it ". This same kid spends $20. on his own lunch throwing away half of what he buys and does not eat what he buys. Then he will expect me to clean up after him with the trash he leaves behind. The thing is a child only learns if they are taught and the way these kids are now alot of them scare me for the future. I support all sports for all kids and I feel each kid should play anything they want in school . Kids are given so much they don't know how to manage their money or anyone elses money. When a kid waste money it shows they need to learn how hard it is to get it.

And yes kids need to be kids but who ever said work would hurt too. Work only helps kids learn what life is about. Education is the most important thing no matter what kids do extra. So for someone to say work stops kids from being kids are wrong. I have worked since I was 12 and I still work. I played sports, worked and got a education. Kids can do what they put there minds too. If they are encouraged to do good in school, sports and work they can become great citizens. We can do anything good if we want too. And it won't take our fun away from our youth.

I will say again let kids be kids while their is still time. We have kids in Iraq dying so everyone can have an opinion. I was just remarking that some kids are being forced to quit sports they love because parents forget lessons that sports can teach you. Like toughness, hard work, resposibility, and teamwork.

Johnny do you play a sport or do you just contradict me when I give an opinion. I would just like for kids who want to play to have a choice, I gave up my last year of college to go to work and I wish I had played that last year. I had a choice but some kids these days are not given a choice.

I want to know why kids think they are entitled to a car just because they've turned 16...Who told them that as soon as they learn to dial a phone...they should have a cell phone attached to their ear...and hey...they should go ahead and get one that can take pictures of their ear to send to all their friends...

Who told them these things?...They sure didn't tell my parents that...and ya know what?...I'm glad they didn't...because now...that I've gotten through high school...and gotten through college...and have to buy those things myself...they just don't seem to be all that important...

What is important are the friends I've made from being involved in school activities... memories of all the times that we were together...Can I remember what we rode around in?...No, not really...whatever cars we had...got us where we were going...and got us back home again...

I know that parents want their children to have a better, easier life than they did...I just wonder if that easier life is really better...

My other thought is...if we continue to give kids so much now...what do they have to strive for?...What's left?

Let them play ball...let them be band members...let them write school newspapers... let them get great grades...let them be kids...and let them learn that material things will come if they work for them...remember...patience is a virtue

johnny c

i can assure you, without a doubt, more kids learn about values, discipline, team work, hard work, etc...etc....etc.... from sports than you do at home.....

if you think differently, then you live in a lilly-white sheltered world........

Edited by mg

How many kids will grow up to be professionals in sports? If they only worry about sports they will not have the knowledge to go to college, work or to manage their money. Sure some kids don't work during their high school years and live wonderful lives and thats great. But I believe kids can get a education, play sports and work then have what it takes to continue their lives in a way that will teach them all they need to succeed. Everyone has their opinions on this and I strongly think kids should enjoy their years while they are young but why can't they still be kids and enjpy school, sports and a job?

Johnny...It has been well documented that kids who play sports in high school make better grades than those who don`t. Also it is has been learned that kids who play sports in HS will on average make more money when they get out in the real world. I compliment you on having a job and learning responsibility, but most of your post is way off the mark.

Just because a kids parents give them a car does not mean they are not learning responsibility. When you get older and have kids of your own you will learn this. There are many ways of instilling responsibility in kids. Some parents can afford to give their kids a car and that is fine. Personally I want my kids to play as many sports in high school as they can. The values learned from playing team and individual sports will far outweigh the benefits of a meaningless high school job in the long run. My kids learn responsibility in many ways. And they know they must adhere to them. One of my favorite sayings to them is "with responsibility comes priveledges". Priveledges are going out with friends, using the phone, tv, video games etc... Those are all priveledges. They are taught what is expected out of them and know that priveledges will be taken away if they don`t follow up on their responsibilities.

To imply that a job is a better teacher of responsibility than sports is wrong. It`s ok to have a job, but sports is more important if they are interested in playing. To deny a kid of playing sports is denying him one of the best priveledges of growing up.

Another thing...you don`t have to have a job in order to learn how to manage money. A parent can give a kid money and still beable to teach them how to manage it.

Edited by VolunteerGeneral

This seems to have turned into an argument over necessity and priviledge. A necessity is something you must have to survive such as food, water, shelter, ect. A priviledge is something you might want or enjoy such as cell phones, cars, CD's, video games. I do not know why a 17 year old needs a cell phone. Almost all the high school students in our school have them. I took up several throughout the year. There needs to be something done. I believe JohnnyC is very mature but he needs to realize that kids learn discipline, respect, responsibility, and team work in sports. I played sports in high school, worked, finished third in my class, earned a football scholarship as well as an academic scholarship and I graduated with honors from college. I think sports and work can fit around one another but let kids be kids because you are only a kid once.