Centennial vs. Columbia

boneal52

A somewhat sloppy scrimmage yesterday in Columbia. Centennial appeared to have them outmanned but only seemed to turn it on when they had to. Opening drive for Centennial was perfect with a steady pace for the first 30 yds or so of running plays and then a Phillip Bates pass to Brandon Meegs covered the last 50. Bates hit him on a nice, tight spiral hitch and Meegs shook the first defender and outran the rest. Columbia answered just as impressively with a steady 30 yards followed by a 50 yard jaunt to the endzone on a sweep. They traded punts a few times and Centennial forced two turnovers before scoring again on a short run up the middle. Columbia had a few nice drives as well but was inconsistent.

Some general highlights were......

Phillip Bates and Taylor Scott trading reps at QB and the Cougar offense running equally as smooth both ways.

Columbia's backs were very impressive. Very fast and shifty. #30 was the best player on their squad I thought, playing HB and CB. Ran very hard and was a sure tackler.

Centennial's offensive line was very physical and has some size to go with it. Its been a while since we've seen big boys in Cougar country.

Phillip Bates showed some explosion on a 50-60 yard run up the gut, breaking a few tackles and then sprinting toward the sideline.

Sophmore HB Curtis Steele of Centennial played excellent. Some very nice runs with great effort, a nice catch and run covering about 30 yards and a touchdown.

Overall, was a decent scrimmage. Hope to hear from some Columbia fans.

Why does Centennial think they need anyone beside Bates @ QB. No offense to the other guy, but Bates was brilliant as a sophomore and then last year the coaching staff didn't utilize him. Sounds like Centennial might lack consistency again this year if they don't definatively acknowledge that Bates is their man. For Franklin's sake I hope they put him at tackle this year!

Rocco Severino to the best of my knowledge........

Bates is always on the feild being utilized, just not always at QB. Believe me, I had a hard time with it at first too, but Taylor Scott has done very well and Bates is very effective at HB and FB. He gets a running start into the defenders instead of hitting them off balance while making reads. It lets him be more free as a runner. Time will tell, but it looks like they can definately be successfull with Taylor Scott running the offense.