White Cty vs Cookeville

disgustedfan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cookeville 30 Sparta 26

A great game-Sparta played well and never gave up. Cookeville showed some lapses in focus and questionable offensive calls. One a quick kick that backfired and went for minus 12 yards. That play put Sparta back in the game. In fact Sparta took the lead with 2:52 left to go but Cookeville came back and scored on a 40 yard pass play with 1:50 left. The Cavs held Sparta on their last series and Cookeville ran out the clock.

Much admiration to Sparta-they were down but never out. They are big and team speed was their achilles heel. Their big tailback was knocked out of the game on his first carry. The Turner kid #12 hit him on a sweep and he never returned. #12 went on to score a touchdown and then 2 point conversion before he went out with an injury. I heard it was a rib bruise . Gus Paxton scored 2 touchdowns for Cookeville. John Ledford scored one touchdown for Cookeville.

Cookeville has a lot of work to do before next week. They have some weak spots and looked confused on several defensive series when Turner and Buckner were out.

Big Buckner ran well but he doesn't seem to be back at full speed.

Once again-my hats off to Sparta and their staff, they never gave up!!!

The Warriors fought back after spotting Cookeville a 22-6 lead, but they came up short. This team will be back they have proven the first 2 weeks there is no quit in them. Just a couple of breakdowns kept them from being 2-0 instead of 1-1. Obviously there was a blown coverage on that 3rd down play that Cookeville took the lead back on. Did anyone notice the size of the crowd from Sparta tonight. After the game in a typical thing when these 2 play a kid from Cookeville walked by the locker room and says White County needs to learn to play football. IT things like that that will always make this rivalary this bitter. I think the Warriors showed people in the first 2 weeks that they can play.

Well to start off I talked to Turner and he told me it was a BROKEN rib and they were going today to see how long it would be before he could play. Morgan Toline also reinjured his shoulder but it probably won't sideline him for next week. Buckner's injury was mearly cramps so no real concern there. The concern is that the Cavs just let Sparta climb right through window of opportunity. The pass defense was unbelievably bad. The fastest secondary in the region and were smoked all night. Even worse, Sparta only threw 2 routes. The fade and the underneath slant. They ran that slant play at least 5 times for a first down and 1 of their touchdowns. Every time they dropped back it was 1 of those 2 routes and the Cavs never stopped them. I think if Sparta were to have thrown the ball maybe 10 more times instaed of giving it to the lone fullback in the backfield with 3 recievers split out mixed in with some QB draws that they gained about 8 yds each time they would have won that game by 2 touchdowns. Make no mistake about it I am a Cookeville fan all the way but talk to any Cookeville player and they will tell you it was a disappointing win and they were fortunate to escape with 1. They knew that they could have blown that game away but they just slacked a little on defense and it almost cost them a win. And what on earth was that punt on 3rd and 20. They could have atleast ran the ball got a few more yds and ran a good 30-45 seconds off the clock. That ended up costing them the lead and almost the game. Co-players of the game were Ledford and Paxton. What a pass and catch with 2 minutes left. Paxton had probably somewhere around 80+ yrds on the ground and 50 through the air. Ledford threw for about 80 and ran for about 20. He was also like 5-7 I think. And 1 was a beautiful throw on the run across his body for a first down. Been a couple years since we've had a running/throwing QB. I only wish Coach Joslin had a little more faith in the passing game. But oh well, we will see next week what kind of team we will be this year. I saw that Coffee Cty had over 450 yds of RUSHING offense and thats with having probably one of the top 5 OBs in the state, and its in Manchester next week. SHEWWW. As for Cookeville/Sparta next year.....only in your dreams will it be this close. Just look at the skill positions. Most of Sparta's are seniors...most of ours are juniors. Next year will be worse than last year in Sparta against Cookeville.

Cant over look the backs for Cookeville. Even when the holes werent there..they ran with their heads down and ran people over!! Play makers of the game had to be Gus Paxton and John Ledford!! They were the keys to victory for the cavaliers.

Alot of work still needs to be done on both sides of the ball. When playing a GOOD team like Lincoln County and Franklin County...there is no way 5 players can play both sides of the ball.

Biggest improvment from lastnight was Cookeville's lack of turnovers. BIG BIG IMPROVMENT since the jamboree.

Still ALOT of work needs to be done before the Cavaliers can repeat as AAAAA-Region 3 Champs.

My biggest appologise to 4Walls. Little did i know that it was Father Walls posting. :angry:

Sadler

So since Jarvis is out who will take his place I belive the # 2's are Martin,Buckaner

I have only seen them both play once last year they both broke runs for 40+ yards

Alls I know is someone better if the Warriors will have a chance to go to the playoffs. I am pretty sure "Tricky Dicky" will find someone whoo will do a great job!

Good luck next week guys hope you win next week.GO WARRIORS!!!!!

Edited by whiteco20

The exact number of yards rushing by the Cavaliers was 264. Pretty good for a young line. The real test will be up against a bigger and faster D-Line.

Here are the rest of Friday night Stats:

CHS WCHS

First Downs 18 7

By Rush/Pass/Penalty 13/2/3 2/4/1

3rd Downs Made/Att 5/8 2/9

4th Downs Made/Att 1/2 2/3

Total Yards 357 279

Total Yards Rushing 264 60

Rushing Att/Avg 54/4.9 22/2.7

Total Yards Passing 93 219

Pass Att/Comp/Int 5/4/0 20/9/1

Punts/Avg 2/8.0 3/36.7