THE BEST PLAYERS IN GIRLS TN SOCCER

FHSslebers123123

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, Ashley Murphy(Baylor); second, Kaley Forest (Franklin), and; third, Sara Dennison (Germantown). All three of these players can play for most D1 schools.

[quote

It seems that this thread is primarily from the Southeast TN area, with most people bringing up their friends/teammates...most of whom, we have never heard of. I have been fortunate enough to watch HS soccer around the state this year and do not have a bias. These three players are definitely the best in the state, in the order listed.

As for the Southeast TN area (i.e., Chattanooga) the best players are (in rank order):

Ashley Murphy (Baylor)

Nikki Brannen (Notre Dame)

Paige Lainter (Baylor)

Caitlin Cook (GPS)

Rachel Rushworth (Red Bank)

Heather Trimmew (CCS)

Jessica Creech (Ooltewah)

Kate Mincy (Soddy-Daisy) DEFENDER

Catherine Krug (Baylor) DEFENDER

Amy Scheimerhorn (Notre Dame) DEFENDER

Emily Cornett (Notre Dame) KEEPER

Kate Chessnut (GPS) KEEPER

I believe this covers all areas. Some of these you might disagree with (thus the reason for a forum), but anyone that recognizes good soccer would not argue with the first two! Also, the best girls' coach in that area is Jimmy Weekly (Baylor), based on both results and player development.

I have seen Ooltewah play twice, and do not recognize either of those two girls' names. Holly may have skill and power, but not in comparison to this group of women. Also, speed accounts for very little if a player has very little ball skills. One player from Ooltewah I do remember that was fairly quick, and played outside, could only go to her right with the ball. No doubt, these girls may score alot in the season, but would not fair nearly as well against good competition, such as Baylor and GPS, which were the two games I watched.

against baylor and GPS... jessie was all alone up top with creech forced back into the midfield and without any help no player can do anything... at times against baylor creech and watson would be the ony 2 attackers in the offensive 3rd... holly was suspended that game... against GPS hullender was forced to play sweeper in the absense of sarah carrico and seeing as how shes played forward throughout her club ball career you can see how playing sweeper may have not been very well suited to her skills... you watched to 2 worst games(circumstantially at least) for those 2 girls to showcase their skills... if you must go to the state quarterfinal game that ootlewah will play(they should make it out of regions anyway) and i feel you will see these 2 players showcase their talents... you just happened to pick some horrible games to watch ooltewah play... i mean with their best defender out for both and hullender suspended for the other they just weren't in a good situation to play their best soccer...

pobr, I agree. There is a huge difference in the talent level of premiere players vs high school. The average person observing high school soccer might be impressed with a player's speed, their physical presence or how hard they can kick the ball down the field. Anyone can knock someone down and take possession of the ball, but that is for rugby or football, not true soccer. There is a big difference in being aggressive on the ball and a brute on the field.

Seldom do you come across a player with true talent, field vision, foot skills, speed, tactical knowledge, instincts and accuracy in one package. A high school team is lucky to have one such player on a team, though most don't. The best players can usually be found on the best premiere teams across the state as well as recogniton and participation with state olympic development programs, regional and even national teams. Sara Dennis, as you mentioned, is certainly one.

Of course there are still many good high school players across the state that make a real difference in the success of their teams and should certainly be recognized by their peers for their efforts. <_<

Edited by futbolfan7

Stay, I am sure they are talented players. I don't think there was any "diss" intended. Of course, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", or in this case a best player recognition. That can be subjective depending on the "beholder". I am sure you are correct that if they have made it to state finals many times on their club teams they must have helped your team alot and are great players. They have obviously impressed you and it is certainly a compliment to recognize them in this thread. <_<

pobr, I agree. There is a hugh difference in the talent level of premiere players vs high school. The average person observing high school soccer might be impressed with a player's speed, their physical presence or how hard they can kick the ball down the field. Anyone can knock someone down and take possession of the ball, but that is for rugby or football, not true soccer. There is a big difference in being aggressive on the ball and a brute on the field.

Seldom do you come across a player with true talent, field vision, foot skills, speed, tachtical knowlege, instincts and accuracy in one package. A high school team is lucky to have one such player on a team, though most don't. The best players can usually be found on the best premiere teams across the state as well as recogniton and participation with state olympic development programs, regional and even national teams. Sara Dennis, as you mentioned, is certainly one.

Of course there are still many good high school players across the state that make a real difference in the success of their teams and should certainly be recognized by their peers for their efforts. <_<

If high school teams are so lucky to have one premier player, then what happened to Sarah's team?

My point was simply that there are alot of schools that have no club team players on their high school team or maybe only one. Especially areas that have no local travel club. To answer your question about Sara Dennis, I know of her mainly through the Olympic Development program for Tennessee. She made the regional team from TN. She may have made the national team as well. It is rare that a player from TN makes regional teams and most especially national teams but that is hopefully getting better as TN teams get better. I think she plays for Germantown which has had a pretty successful program over the years. But a good team can be beat any day if the circumstances are right.