Players on the team that don't get to play

behappy229

I talked to a player who was on a high school football team but did not get to play due to he made mistakes alot . This player told me he was so glad to be part of the team it did not matter if he played. He said he worked hard practicing and doing everything like everyone else but he never played in a game. This player is now a senior and he is very supportive of his team and coaches. He has such a positive outlook and feels his job on the team is to give the others a pat on the back and cheer his team on. I just wanted to say for all the players out there that are playing like this I feel you should be reconized for all you do. I told the player that in life we all have different jobs but for someone to come up to you and say "Great Job" when things go right or for someone to be there when things go bad is a job not many do today. I salute the players who have stuck it out to be on a team and don't ask to play but never complain when they don't get to play. I wish all of these players to get to achieve something in life that they did not get the chance to achieve in sports.

Not only do I wish more kids in this circumstance understood the definition of "TEAM" player. I wish the PARENTS understood this also. So many coaches have to put up with parents who think their child should be playing here or there or at this position. Just another thing has to worry about during a hectic football season. If a kid is good enough to play for his team then he will be out there PERIOD.

I pretty much live on scout team for at least the rest of this year for ba, and it makes me a much better player. When I go against our starters it prepares me very well for JV and the varsity games i get into. It also should prepare for when/if i ever get to start or see significant meaningful PT. It also gives you a chance to help the team get better, it's win-win ( except when you get killed ). Some of my non- football friends will sarcastically say " nice playing firday " or something like that but you know in your mind you've helped your team, and your day will come.

Friend, that's a noble perspective. I played football in high school and was just like the player you described for my first 3 years. Then the class ahead of me graduated and they were a huge class, and suddenly I was a starter. Boy, were those 3 years worth it!!! I may not have been the best player, but I became a better person and thats whats important.