Referees

mctigersportsfan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold yer horses 'er cowboy, we beat you last year to put you out of the play-off picture. As I recall we pounded ya'll pretty bad at our place! Go Cubs! Get your facts straight. You and bullfrog and orangepeel are all Page Patsy Fans and try to pull the whole Williamson Co. thing to attempt to make you feel better about yourselves. And as far as being scared, fetch yer horses and come on down to Mike Jarreau Stadium in Ashland City and getcha some, cowboy! We ain't scared! I wish we were still in your region so we could destroy you again. Who's your daddy?

I am!

Go Cubs!

You must be talking about Cheatham County. Yeah you all got us. That part iss true we did not play well but that falls on us. However if I am the Page patsy does that make you the Cheatham pansy? Just thought I would ask. And you beat us pretty bad? Come on now don't fool yourself. Your coaches had a great game plan in running the clock down on every play to shorten the game. The game went down to the final play. Don't believe that is a pounding. And to answer your question about who's your daddy i don't know but I know who yours is!! MEEEE

I bet being an official would be kind of neat. How do you get involved? Anyone that knows please advise.

I'm not sure if your are being sarcastic or not here, but I'll try to answer your question anyway. (Seems like there are a lot of experts here:... I'm sure the TSSAA would be happy to have such enthusiatic additions to their officials crews.)

Goto www.tssaa.org or call (615) 889-6740 in Hermitage to ask who you need to speak to in your locale to sign up. They'll supply you with an application that will need to be signed by a principal or head coach. You'll then need to pass a test form the state.

Up front you'll have to pay $40 each year in state dues. You'll need to pay local dues, which run about the same as the state dues, around $40. You'll need to invest between $200 and $300 for uniforms and gear. Remember to replace any item that shows wear or age. You'll then be required to travel to scrimmages and work for free in the pre-season. You'll then need to work middle school games and freshman games. These won't pay much, but you're on your way. Travel is always on your own dollar by the way. You'll also need to make 10 or so meetings throughout the season. Study the rules, etc ... study, study, study.

After a few years of getting experience, you're there... hope this helps.

From what I hear, most of the regional officals associations in Tennessee need people. :unsure:

I'm not sure if your are being sarcastic or not here, but I'll try to answer your question anyway. (Seems like there are a lot of experts here:... I'm sure the TSSAA would be happy to have such enthusiatic additions to their officials crews.)

Goto www.tssaa.org or call (615) 889-6740 in Hermitage to ask who you need to speak to in your locale to sign up. They'll supply you with an application that will need to be signed by a principal or head coach. You'll then need to pass a test form the state.

Up front you'll have to pay $40 each year in state dues. You'll need to pay local dues, which run about the same as the state dues, around $40. You'll need to invest between $200 and $300 for uniforms and gear. Remember to replace any item that shows wear or age. You'll then be required to travel to scrimmages and work for free in the pre-season. You'll then need to work middle school games and freshman games. These won't pay much, but you're on your way. Travel is always on your own dollar by the way. You'll also need to make 10 or so meetings throughout the season. Study the rules, etc ... study, study, study.

After a few years of getting experience, you're there... hope this helps.

From what I hear, most of the regional officals associations in Tennessee need people. :unsure:

Satchump,

I "was" being serious.....seems to be a whole lot of work that I may not have realized. Also seems quite pricey. I think I will check into it further. Satch are you an official ? You seem to know quite a bit about it. Anyways I really appreciate the valuable information.

Last week in a game I watched there was a call that I cannot let pass as a simple mistake. That is because the referee had time to realize his mistake.

The situation was third and 12. Team A throws a pass that is caught 24 yards down field. The back judge calls illegal participation on the receiver for going out of bounds and coming back in bounds to make the catch. Instead of taking the ball to the line of scrimmage to mark off the penalty, he marks it off from the end of the play. It is now third and 3 instead of third and 27. A big difference. This was not a dead ball foul.

The rules say that on fouls during a play while the ball is llive, the penalty is marked off from the last spot (line of scrimmage) unless the spot of the foul is behind the line of scrimmage.

The absurdity of the referee's action was pointed out to him. He still did not change the spot from which the penalty was assessed. First of all an illegal player catches the ball. How can it be a catch? Then after allowing the catch they gave the illegal player credit for the catch and then marked off the penalty. Apparently you can now run a pass pattern behind the bench, catch the ball for a long gain, be penalized and gain an advantage because of your illegal act. Some body tell me what is wrong with this pitcure?

Team A then gets a first down and eventually scores the winning points. If they the penalty is properly assessed then Team B probably holds on third and 27, gets the ball back and runs out the clock for the win.

This was not a judgement call. Those you have to chalk up to mistake, unless you have someone who constantly makes mistakes in judgement. All that study of the rules must really sink in. Yes, I think I can do better and when my sons finish playing I am going to apply to officiate.