Mount Juliet v. Wilson Central

toejamwarrior

Mt. Juliet and Wilson Central is a hot rivalry between friends, former friends, and enemies. No doubt that both teams despise the other. Central, having 3 different head coaches in the 3 years of its existence, actually looks like the program has finally turned around. Central comes extremely close to breaking the lose streak and beating Cumb. Co. but alas, loses by 3. WC v Lebanon: Excellent game for Central. Central made the first strike going up 7-0 in the first quarter but late in the 2nd half while down 17-14 WCs QB fumbles in the endzone and Lebanon recovers for the TD to go up by 10. Now, in my theory, if WC had just taken the safety and not given up the touchdown, WC would have won this contest 21-19. But in all reality no one will ever know the outcome of this game if things had gone differently in the endzone. But none the less a much improved Central team thus far.

Mt. Juliet after a successful season making it to the playoffs in 2000 going 7-4, goes 1-9 after the split of the county to go to Wilson Central. Only few months before spring practice is scheduled to begin for the upcoming season, highly respected coach Dan Winfree is fired for no particular reason from his coaching duties. Bring in David Crawford. Crawford who formerly was an assistant at Farragut High School in east TN and also at Maryville College brings in the no huddle (not the hurry up) offense. Seeking success far better than the previous year, the Golden Bears, after a couple of close defeats, go, yet again, 1-9. So for 2 years Mt. Juliet sees little, if any improvement in season record. The 2-18 MJHS opens up this year to a very stormy night against Shelbyville. Expecting a win, the Bears go down 21-0 early in the 1st quarter. After a brief stint of hope and cutting the lead to 7 Mt. Juliet eventually falls to Shelbyville 40-21. Now after a devastating defeat to Pearl-Cohn (34-7) the Golden Bears must hope for an extremely focused week of practice to prepare for Central. Central looking like the better team may very well break the old 0-22 streak this week at dear Elzie Patton Stadium in Mt. Juliet. However, Mt. Juliet, known for its ability to defeat Central in extreme conditions (27 players in 2001), may very well go to 3-20 for the past 3 years' seasons. The defining factor in this game will most definitely be WHO WANTS THE WIN MORE??? Will it be the Golden Bears of Mount Juliet or the Wildcats of Wilson Central?

Any thoughts and predictions on this game?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad high school football at its best. The Army-Navy of high school ball. Both teams' seasons are a wash except for this game. Mt. Juliet has shown little more than promise in the 2 years since the WC-MJ split, but still has a 2-0 record over those fierce Wildcats. Positives for the Bears are that Central has well....an 0-22 record all-time as everyone knows. The negative, however, is that a previous 0-10 team wouldnt lose by a field goal to Lebanon. Positives for the Wildcats are that the Bears have been fairly easily dealt with by both opponents so far this year.(with the exception of a brief run vs. Shelbyville) But, to their defense, one of the losses was at Pearl-Cohn who will deal with nearly anyone however they please. It will be interesting to see if the MJ team that outscored Shelbyville after going down early will show up against WC. MJ quarterback Levi Brown will get his first taste of this rivalry as a starter and we'll see how he fares against Central's traditionally suspect defense.

I know i havent seen mt juliet play but i do have to say this, when we played wilson central they showed a lot of heart and determination and if good teams dont watch out wilson will suprise them and a lot of people who are doubting them. Wilson, keep playing hard and never give up. When that first win comes itll all pay off. Good luck!

Jet QB 14

Edited by jetfootball14

Guest region4fan

I was wondering how the new year round school format was affecting the football at the Wilson County Schools? Is it 6 weeks of school, then 2 off? Or how does it work. When the kids are on break, is it mandatory for players to pactice?

Edited by region4fan

The Freshman team at MJ is scarce to say the least. With possibly only 19 players, the freshman squad doesnt look hopeful. As for any varsity level talent at MJ, it has been there for years. The only problem is one person can't win games. It takes a team full of heart and talent to win games. I was told by a spectator that "Mount Juliet just doesn't have the 'want to' anymore". As far as talent that has been in the past and in the present I'll start with 2000 which had several talented players: Michael Bochette (R.I.P.), Landon Larson, Josh King, Charles Shannon, Trey O'Neal, Shane Lee (who is serving in the middle east as we speak), Adam Cates, Matt Johnson, and more from that year. As far as 2001 when the Bears had 27 players: Jason Sanders(but was injured throughout most of the season), Coche Tiger, Montez Greene, and a little man by the name of Heath Murphy (who had more heart than anyone I have seen play). 2002: By all means Curtis Grah, Zac White, Zach King, Davey Burke and Chance Weatherford. 2003: Most noticeably Chris Humes and Steven Whitehouse and that Simms character. So have the Bears had talent in the past? Yes. Does that answer your question?

If a community, high school, or whatever doesn't have the "want to" to be as good as they can be in football, or any other sport for that matter, then I don't understand that mentality. How could you not want to be good in everything? How could a community that is one of the fastest growing cities in Tennessee not want to be a powerhouse in all sports, or at least extremely competitive? If that is true, then I don't get it.

I'm not saying they don't have the want to anymore. A spectator made that comment to me. I believe they do have the want to. MJ's flaw is toughness. I've heard about their practices. Crawford won't let them go full speed tackle and rarely lets them go full pads during practice is the word. Tackling skills are not born in a player, they are achieved through tackling drills in which the player makes a FULL tackle. ( You know, the kind that happens in a real game). A kid can be tough as nails and still be a sorry tackler. If a team cannot tackle they cannot stop an offense. I know MJ has the want to. I can see it in their eyes when they come onto the field. Serious practice in which the players want to get better is what is needed for MJ. You can go through the motions all you want in practice, but when gametime rolls around, going through the motions WILL NOT cut it. You have to exhibit uncommon effort and unmatched will to win games. Something MJ has a great potential of achieving. But it's the players' choice whether they want to put forth the extra steam in a game. The best way top achieve that in my opinion is to practice it all week long and play like you practice. Want to is what MJ has. Do they have the will to go the extra mile? We'll find out when the dust settles and MJ finishes another season and begins preparing for the next.