Prayers

DeeOne

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

SpartaWarrior,

I thought Florida was a possession of Spain during the War Between the States. It's been about eight years since I took American History in high school. Could you refresh my memory on what Florida was during those times, for curiosity's sake, because I know it wasn't part of the Confederate States of America. I just assumed is was still a Spanish possession during those times.

I find it also interesting that a so-called Christian organization that supports abortion rights called the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice has chapters all over the Northeast and in the West. They have one chapter in Pensecola, Florida but you will find that this organization has no chapters in states that comprised the original Confederate States of America--Virginia, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas. Well, Texas recently got an affiliate I guess.

I find that there is a deeper connection with the roots of the Bible in the South than there is anywhere else in this country.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy at the MBA/BGA game about gave me a stroke. As an alumnus of BGA, I expect my school to support the values that this country and that school were built on. When I was a student there, I was asked to change my prayer from "in Christ's name we pray" to "in your name." That hacked me a little bit, but Friday night I about had a stroke.

The student giving the prayer started out, "Would you bow with me in prayer IF YOU WISH TO DO SO." Never in my life did I think I would see BGA go to the extreme on PC. I don't know who made the call on that one but as an alumnus, I wish to see and hear, "WOULD YOU PLEASE PRAY." If people don't want to pray thats fine. Let them not bow their heads. It's their choice.

The issue of wanting too is moot at a BGA game. Period. Or at least it should be.

Florida was part of the Confederacy. As far as prayer goes, if the game is being played at a school that is supported by federal funds, then the crowd or players should NOT be led in any kind of prayer by anyone. On the other hand, if it is at a private school not supported by federal funds, they can do whatever they want. A moment of silence is totally acceptible, but guided prayer is not. I'm sorry people, but it states it plain and clear in the 1st Admendment of the Constitution, you can't argue w/ it. And for your information, some of our founding fathers, like Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson were Deists. If they were alive today, they'd be Unitarians, or in other words, they would believe that God created the world but preformed no miracles after that (this means Jefferson and Franklin didn't believe in a virgin birth nor did they believe in a resurrection from the grave). I am as much a Christian as anyone, don't try to question my faith, but I totally believe in seperation of church and state.

In closing, let me ask you this question. What if your school traveled to play a public school in a predominatly Indian community, and before the game, a Hindu priest gave a prayers to Brahma the Creator and Sheiva the Destroyer? Would you be offended then?

OSHSMAN, I THANK GOD that the students of Oliver Spring High School (your almater) that will take a stand & pray before our athletic competitions. I'm not sure exactly how the law reads but I think it states that it is not allowed to be faculty led. To any student reading this it is YOUR RIGHT to pray just as it is others right to not pray. OS had over 100 kids @ the flag pole this morning and they have a volunteer prayer group that meets every morning. If you are a student reading this check out The coaching corner on the web (where your rights are explained concerning this issue). May GOD Bless all of you who take a stand !!!!

Edited by bballmom

SpartaWarrior,

I thought Florida was a possession of Spain during the War Between the States.  It's been about eight years since I took American History in high school.  Could you refresh my memory on what Florida was during those times, for curiosity's sake, because I know it wasn't part of the Confederate States of America.  I just assumed is was still a Spanish possession during those times.

In early January 1861, a special convention of delegates from around the state met in Tallahassee to consider whether Florida should leave the Union. Governor Madison Starke Perry and Governor-elect John Milton were both strong supporters of secession. For days, the issues were debated inside and outside the convention. In a minority opinion, former territorial governor Richard Keith Call, acting as a private citizen, argued that secession would bring only ruin to the state.

On January 10, 1861, the delegates voted sixty-two to seven to withdraw Florida from the Union. The next day, in a public ceremony on the east steps of the capitol, they signed a formal Ordinance of Secession. News of the event generally led to local celebrations. Later, the delegates adopted a new state constitution. Florida was the third state to leave the Union, and within a month it joined with other southern states to form the Confederate States of America.

Ordinance of Secession.

We, the People of the State of Florida in Convention assembled, do solemnly ordain, publish and declare: That the State of Florida hereby withdraws herself from the Confederacy of States existing under the name of the United States of America, and from the existing Government of said States; and that all political connection between her and the Government of said States ought to be and the same is hereby totally annulled, and said union of States dissolved; and the State of Florida is hereby declared a Sovereign and Independent Nation; and that all ordinances heretofore adopted in so far as they create or recognize said Union are rescinded; and all laws or parts of laws in force in this State, in so far as they recognize or assent to said Union be and they are hereby repealed.

Done in open Convention, January 10th, A.D. 1861

OSHSman

I totally support your belief in separation of church and state; for, that is the right that you have under the first amendment of the US Constitution. By the way, the first amendment protects your right to free speech, even unintelligent speech. I guess you will be sadly disappointed to hear that "separation of church and state" is not mentioned anywhere in the US Constitution nor any other official US document. You would probably be disappointed to learn that the state charters of several early states actually established a state (not federal) religion. Any employees of that particular state were required to be christian.

Personally, I would not be offended in the slightest to be in one of the countries you mentioned and hear their prayer to their God. Their country was founded on that religion. Our country was founded on christian values and ethics and accordingly, I do not care if anyone is offended if we pray to God. The last time that I checked, the majority ruled here. If people here didn't get their little feelings hurt and all had guts enough to stand up to rabble like the ACLU, we probably wouldn't even need this thread. We could all talk high school football.

OK, I'm off my little soapbox now. Sure we say a prayer before every game where I attend.