Chop Blocks... long

ie3

I've been involved in covering high school football as a member of the media for quite some time now, and I can honestly say that i've seen more instances of chop/cut blocking this year than ever before. While coaches say they don't teach it, I don't believe they discouraged it, either.

Yes, I realize that football is a collision sport, but the rules need to be defined to deal with it before more knees are destroyed.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question . You all were referring to the "tackle box" earlier , and that cut blocks and roll blocks were legal in the box . but in the rule book , the "tackle box" is actually 5 yards down the line of scrimmage from the ball . and i have played in 2 games this year , when our defensive ends ( rushing around the outside ) were cut by tight ends well outside 5 yards from the ball .. why doesn't the refs ever call illegal blocks on those ? and ie3 i hope your son is ok . and like everyone else said that this sport has a high risk of injury . Last year in a scrimmage game i blew out my knee , making a simple cut behind one of my blockers ,and i tore my ACL and my miniscuss (cartlidge) very severely . and i had to miss all of football and basketball . but i have recovered and i am full speed, now . and give him words of encouragement , they may not seem to be much , but they help when someone is in pain . B)

Is it legal to chop block from the shot-gun formation?

O.K., as a previous O-line coach explained, the answer to this thread is black and white. No, the chop block is not legal from the shotgun. Below is proof I can read and type... :angry:

The basic definition of a chop block is a delayed block at or below the knees against an opponent who is in contact with a teammate of the blocker in the free-blocking zone." The rule book, same page, gives us more detail including info on the location of the chop block in reference to the free-blocking zone. - The NFHS Rule book, under the "POINTS OF EMPHASIS" on page 72 states "... that regardless of the first point of contact by the first blocker (above, at, or below the knees), if the second block is at or below the knees and the second block is delayed in any way, the block is illegal, if the first block is continuing or is in the process of losing contact." It also says " At the NFHS level, the location with relation to the line of scrimmage is of no bearing as to the enforcement of this rule." The chop block is illegal anywhere, for offense players and defensive players. Officials properly monitoring the blocking and not involved in other aspects of the game (following the football) should be able to properly enforce this rule. Believe me, officials want to eliminate this dangerous block. The officials only have two jobs out there. #1 Keep it safe. #2 Keep it fair. They don't see it all, as we know, but this is one they all look for.

Hope this helps.

I agree with everyone in saying that the chop block is very dangerous not to mention very illegal. High school football officials, in my experience, tend not to call this on teams as often as in college. This is probably because there is not as much "cut" blocking on the line of scrimmage where players can be baited in to coming in for a second hit up high. However, in defense of the "cut" block where only one contact is made, it is a very effective way to stop your opponent. Having taken on more than my share of chop blocks in the secondary in college where it is legal down the field, taking on the cut is just another skill players have to learn especially if they intend on going to the next level. With that said I wish all the injured players a safe return, having had a knee injury as well my heart goes out.