Region 4 5A the real season begins now

82cat

For region 4 5A the seasons important games begin now. While I wished Smyrna would have won all their non region games and they certainly had their chances against Gallatin and Brentwood those loses do not affect their region goals and playoff goals.

Hopefully playing a very strong non conference schedule will pay off in the future.

The way it looks now?

1.Riverdale - Don't see them losing in the region

2.Smyrna - Oakland and Lavergne are the biggest challenges

3.Oakland- Don't know much about them but always finsih well

4.? Usually would pick Blackman but I believe they are just to young with to small of offensive line, however they played Brentwood well and Brentwood is a good football team

Lavergne? pilling up wins against cup cakes so it's hard to judge? not meaning to slam Lavergne but even they know the best competition is in front of them but a wins a win.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that it is:

1. Riverdale

2. Oakland

3 Smyrna

4. Dogfight (Blackman, Lebanon, Lavergne)

Wilson Central definitely has to be noticed. They are obviously getting better.

Key games this week:

Blackman at Oakland--this is where we find out if Oakland really is one of the top two teams in the region.

Lebanon at Lavergne--This is round one of the dogfight for the privilege of traveling to the pit for round one of the playoffs.

Obviously, the 4th seed is going to be in a pretty unenviable position.

Guest region4fan

I can't wait for it all to begin. I am thinking that some of the best football for us is yet to have been seen. Truthfully, I think the whole region is basically up for grabs with no clear cut 4 play-off teams in sight. You don't know how Riverdale will react to losing 2 in a row. Plus with them losing twice at Tomahawk, they don't seem so invincible to other teams. Smyrna has lost some heartbreakers and won one that could have gone either way. Will they be able to finish strong? Oakland, will losing this past week make them fold? And Blackman , they have been up and down like Oakland has. And Lavergne, Wilson, and Lebanon......all could rattle some cages too. With no non-region games to break things up, these games are MUST wins for all the teams. I see crazy things happening like last year, with not much decided til the last game.

82cat said:

For region 4 5A the seasons important games begin now. While I wished Smyrna would have won all their non region games and they certainly had their chances against Gallatin and Brentwood those loses do not affect their region goals and playoff goals.

You are probably here. I've tried to examine it. There is a realistic scenario that would put Smyrna in a tie with Lebanon for the 4th seed, but in that scenario in which Lebanon beats Smyrna on the regular season Lebanon would receive the nod anyway because of their head-to-head match.

So yes, you are probably right under realistic circumstances. Those being that Riverdale doesn't lose another game and Wilson Central still struggles to finish above .500 in the region or Siegel beats somebody like Smyrna or Blackman or LaVergne which is not even likely.

But there are some realistic scenarios that could play out and would put Smyrna out of the playoffs.

Not trying to slam wilsoin or siegel but in region 4 5A those are as close to gimmes as you will ever get. It really boils down to 5 teams playing for 4 spots. Smyrna having beat Blackman really helped but from here on its do or die for everyone!

I know one thing---------- you don't want to finish 4th and go to LC

Riverdale is still Riverdale and you have to respect them but they are beatable this year.

Guest region4fan

Yeah, you just go ahead and doubt Wilson Central. I dare you. They needed to get their feet under them, and they have. They have some skill players and plenty of heart. They have lost 2 games in the last minute..one against Lebanon and the other against Cumberland County.Considering we ALL know another team who loses close games in the last minute........................well, Trust me don't count em out! Just like I am not counting that OTHER team out.

Hey Riverdale, I just figured something out. Maybe our mysterious streaker was just CJ trying to get Louis Thompson's attention for a tryout!