DOBYNS-BENNETT VS ELIZABETHTON FRESHMEN

Scoutman

hey cyclone 22

what a great observation. i think every coach should let their quarterback throw three interceptions and fumble one time on the first 4 drives. or why don't we just spot them 28 points and see if we can catch up. you better believe that change is being talked about at go ye old betsy. i agree you must give confidence to the kids but if another player is outplaying someone they deserve to be on the field. this is not youth club. as for going to cloudland or hampton, i am sure that if their quarterback had done that the backup would have been in and played. this is no knock on the kid just what is best on that certain night for the kid. and by the way i have no kid playing for the mighty cyclones just a former player.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

helmet head case,

weston did not fumble the on that series, the fullback did. watch the game. as for change being talked about maybe you should go to etsu, get an education degree and then become the cyclone head coach. you seem to have all the answers, just like the other 50 hot heads in the crowd. they would probally welcome your advice. you should come to the sideline tonight and and lend your expert opinions to a coaching staff that seems to be doing the best they can with the talent there.

Scoutman it was a good freshmen game, but lets not pump the handle too hard...he freshmen game was won by the Indians 35-18, but the final score does not illustrate the nature of the game. The final six put on the board was made by Betsy starters against the D-B 4th string defensive backfield...and the second Betsy TD was thrown to a receiver being covered by the 2nd team strong safety...it was a real good throw, though. I thought it was a good hard hitting game and your QB (son, too?), Preston Smith, did a good job, but had many more passes not completed because of the contact by D-B defenders rather than just drops by the receivers. Coty Sensabaugh returned a kickoff for a TD (he was back there because Xavier Skaggs is on crutches with an ankle injury, hurt in practice on Wednesday). Sensabaugh also caught a TD pass from Bo Burton that covered over 85 yards, a slant pattern (or short post) and he outran the defenders for the score. Burton also had a TD pass to Josef Throp, a fly pattern covering about 20 yards. Andrew Pappas had two TD runs. Burton, Pappas, Cody Burnette, and Throp all had big runs during the game...some real good blocking from Alex Cox, Trevor Slayers, Justin Basham, Phillip Lecklikner, Patrick Fleming, and tight end Ben Davis. Burton again made great decisions in executing the option, quality decisions, well beyond his years. Defensively, the Indians caused numerous passes to be separated from their intended receivers with big hits, Throp, Aaron Marsh, Brandon Thompson, Sensabaugh, and Pappas all participating. Salyers, Basham did a good job in the trenches...Davis, Logan Williamson, and Josh George put good pressure on Smith, LB's flying to the ball, Sensabaugh had a pick. The Cyclones did a real good job on their first scoring drive and took the lead 6-0. the Indians responded and controlled the game on both sides of the ball and the kicking game as well, good job with kickoffs by Chris McGinn and extra points by Mikey Alley. Alley also punted for the first time this year, beacause of the injury to Skaggs.

D-B's coaches did a fine job with the game plan for this one, as they have all year, the team is prepared and ready.

Elizabethton has a real fine football team, I thought the offensive line played hard, QB played tough and made good decisions, running backs ran north and south, #44 is a good blocker, receivers ran good routes, and defense played hard with good angles and technique, they are well coached (as always) , and I hope they have a great remainder of the season.

The Indians play Science Hill next Thursday 10/9 @ Memorial Stadium in J.C. kickoff @ 5:30pm...D-B fans come out and support this D-B freshmen team.

Roll Tribe Roll

Gary, DB does not have near 2800. They have 1600, Elizabethton has 818. Also, FYI in 5A football DB is not even near the largest school. Divisions 1 through 4A enjoy a maximum number (a cap), but in 5A sometimes schools swell up to about 2500 and we don't complain now do we. Until the very recent addition of new schools in Rutherford county, Riverdale and Oakland never had under 2500. We played em, we had to, no choice.

Here is a list of some much bigger schools that usually are a factor in the playoffs

2136 Farragut High School

2144 Dickson Co. High School

2304 Bradley Central High School

2308 Germantown High School

2313 Riverdale High School

2359 Oakland High School

Oh , and the last three you see here along with McGavock in Nashville have each had almost 3000 in recent history. New schools have brought these numbers down a little lately. These are like small colleges!

Gary if 5A was capped (calculation using TSSAA's approximate percentage) it would stop at about 1800 students. But there are many, many schools that have ALOT more than that.

Point is, you dont hear us complaining about when we lose to a school that has way more students. At least these games are non region for you. DB actually plays these monster size schools and must win to advance in 5A. So it would be like you (Elizabethton) having to play DB, Science Hill, Jeff County, Oak Ridge, etc in the playoffs! Quit whining, DB is already used to playing much larger schools.

Edited by bud

I think it is good that Elizabethton plays DB because it creates a great measuring stick for the Cyclones. I personally look forward to watching your boys and ours play great ball down the road and maybe someday get back to seeing varsity action again. Good luck to you guys this Thursday vs. Science Hill. Should be a great game also. :)