Who is the Best Running Back in 1A?

Guest 4life

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could have seen him. He won TWO Mr.Footballs. Im not sure on who all has won Mr. Football, but I know it cant be to often for someone to do that. I still have Coach teachers who tell me about him those years ago. I can only imagine.

Someone posted earlier about Tavarus Trotter and Cedric Wilkerson who play in the Clarksville area. Yes, I have heard of them, they are very good. Read about them in the paper last Saturday.

Take a look at this front-page article by Brad Huggins of the Nashville City Paper.

Out of the woodwork

By Harold Huggins, hhuggins@nashvillecitypaper.com

October 08, 2003

Chris Wooden has the wrong last name.

Instead of Wooden, it should be something with a stronger material base like metal, iron or steel. Nonetheless, the rugged 5-11, 210-pound junior tailback has been rock solid for Donelson Christian Academy’s unbeaten football team this season.

Wooden has taken up this season right where he left off last year when he led his team with 1,650 yards as a sophomore. Last Friday, Wooden became the first Nashville player to hit the 1,000 mark with a 206-yard game in a win over McEwen. He has 1,008.

But football wasn’t always on Wooden’s mind.

Even though his father Mike and older brother Michael, 21, both played for DCA, Chris didn’t even begin playing football until the seventh grade. He was a fullback under junior high coach Rob Gaines.

“I didn’t even play pee wee ball,’’ Wooden said. “But in the seventh grade, I started out as an offensive lineman, and I asked Coach Gaines if I could run the ball, and he said he’d give me a shot. I did pretty well, so he let me start.’’

Things then just took off for Wooden.

“When I got in the ninth grade, I was playing behind a senior, and I won the job at tailback midway through the season,’’ he said. “I wound up with about 900 yards rushing.’’

Last year, as a sophomore, Wooden took off with the 1,650 yards, a total he might eclipse before the regular season is over, certainly by the playoffs.

The Wildcats (7-0, ranked No. 2 in Class 1A) host Lighthouse Millington Friday night before a key two-game Region 5-1A stretch against Franklin Road Academy, then a showdown at home against defending state champ Christ Presbyterian Oct. 24.

Besides his 1,008 yards rushing, Wooden, with 84 points on 14 TDs, ranks second in Nashville in scoring behind only Lipscomb’s Cutler Robertson with 95 points.

Wooden owes much of his success to a dedicated off-season workout schedule in an area where he bench-presses 270 pounds, second-best on the team and squat lifts 485, the team high. He also runs a 4.7 40.

Wooden, who is the first DCA player ever to wear No. 25, is also one of the area leaders in yards per rush with a sparkling 8.5 yards per carry. His rushing total would be higher, but he has not played much in the second half of some of the Wildcat blowouts.

Wooden is the focal part of a monster offense which has manufactured 242 points in the seven games (34.6 per game) and has averaged 41.6 in the last five.

Asked about goals, Wooden said, “The main goal I have is to win the state championship this year in Murfreesboro. We have just four seniors on the team, and I want to win it especially for those guys.

“Yes, 2,000 yards is in the back of my mind, and if it comes, great, but the main thing I want is a state championship. I was in the stands as a fourth grader the last time DCA won (1996), and I remember [former Wildcat tailback] Jeremy Lyons having a huge game.”

“Our offensive line has been great,’’ he continued. “I have those guys over for steaks at the house, kind of reward for them. Eddie George buys his linemen cars, but I don’t think I could do that.’’

“He’s a great running back, and you know what you’ll get from Chris every game,’’ said senior Rusty Menchaca, a 6-2, 275-pound offensive guard. “He gives it everything he’s got, and if you give him any kind of room, you know he can break one.’’

“Our fullback, Matt Meacham, a senior, does great on lead blocking, and I communicate well with our quarterbacks, Jim Fenwick (out with a concussion) and Josh Trammell,’’ Wooden said.

Wooden calls his two favorite plays an off-tackle slant and outside pitch where he can read the defense and use his speed.

“Chris is a tough, hard-nosed runner, and he has a burning desire to excel,’’ said coach Dennis Goodwin.

“He’s very strong and quick and he’s hard to bring down. In comparing him to some of our other great backs, he brings a little bit of the strength of a Jeremy Lyons and the elusiveness of a Scooter Edwards. And he’s very coachable.’’

Not to mention, very good.

Yeah I just read this article about Wooden. Wow, 210 lbs, that's a load. He's put on some weight since I saw him last as a freshman. I was just wondering what people who have played against him think. How does he compare to Landers of CPA or Todd of Ezell as a runningback. Is there a comparison? Anybody out there in region 5 who has gone against him head to head? I'd like to hear their thoughts. Traditionally, the state championship team has the Mr. Football if there is a dominant player on the winning team. Is he in this category if DCA does make it and win? DCA's gonna have some tough games coming up. I'm looking forward to seeing Wooden and DCA play at the CPA game (along with everyone in Nashville I think) coming in a couple weeks at DCA. Good Luck to all in region 5 it's gonna be close. But Don't count us out either Region 6 will surprise you!

Wooden certainly has a chance but don't they normally give Mr. Football to Seniors? Wooden has played against Ezell and Ezell had negative rushing yards while Wooden had 225 yards and 3 touchdowns in that game. Landers does not have near the numbers of Wooden, but he has been injured a good part of the season if I am not mistaken.