Need for Official Statistic Bureau

BigDogDaddy

In Memphis, Keith Gentry's Statistical Service collects and compiles stats for the Shelby-Metro area. He collects stats each week for all the local teams. Schools can elect to pay for his service and receive a copy of his pre and post season books. He does a great job...the problem lies in who keeps the stats for the individual teams. Many teams in our area don't even keep stats, and often those who do don't do a very good job. The local newspaper doesn't keep up with stats...all they have is what is called in for the line scores each week. I believe they get their info on statistical leaders from Keith. I have done stats for our team since 1985. I keep both teams offensive stats because the newspaper requires both teams offensive stats to put the line score in the paper. Many times I have had to give Keith stats for other teams. Keith goes to a game every week and does stats on his own. Through the years, he has learned which teams report reliable stats and which don't. If a coach complains about a coach inflating stats - which I think happens more than the previous 1% suggested - he will review game film and check it out.

The SID program of the TSSAA was not set up to collect stats but more for reporting scores immediately after the game so they would be available to the media. One of the biggest problems with the program is the requirement of using the ihigh sites for your school...when many already had their own sites established.

It would be great to have someone to do the same thing statewide but I think there are many logistical issues that would have to be worked out to get it going.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a great think for the state, but one of the first things that would have to be done is to standardize how stats are compiled and kept. If you every get on the NCAA website, there is a manual on stat keeping. It is very detailed and basically gives instruction for most every situation, which allows there to be universal method to keeping stats for NCAA institutions. For example, here is the method for crediting a tackle.

TA C K L E : If a ball carrier is stopped solely or primarily because of the

e fforts of one defensive player, that player should be credited with a

tackle. No more than one tackle can be credited on any one play.

Tackles for losses, pass sacks and forced fumbles should result in a

player getting credit for that action and a tackle.

A S S I S T: Assists may be credited in these ways:

(1) If a ball carrier has been stopped primarily (but not solely) by one

defensive player, but a second defensive player stops the play more

quickly and possibly prevents additional yardage gain, credit the second

defensive player with an assist (the first defensive player is credited

with a tackle).

(2) If two defensive players contribute equally to the stopping of a ball

c a r r i e r, credit both players with an assist, but give neither a tackle.

Note: There should not be more than one assist credited when a tackle

has been credited. In a situation where there is not an unassisted

tackle, there should not be more than two assists credited. In other

words, on any given play, one of the following may be credited: (1) onetackle, (2) one tackle and one assist, or (3) two assists.

I'm sure most stats keepers have the same method but may have different standards or policies. High school stats keeper would need to be certified through a some form of a state organization and tested periodically. It could be done, but don't wait for the TSSAA to do it. I don't think that they are interested in making that a focus of their organization.

Lets pay another official to be the statman like the NCAA does!!!

The TSSAA can buy new laptops for all statmen and they can compile and print the results for Newspapers and the team. Lets also hire a spotter ref to help spot tackles so we can have an accurate count on Tackles.

The job would be perfect for you if your current position doesn't pan out. Computers? Football? Sounds like a fit. See ya soon.

Watch4, thanks again for your response. I'll watch the prolixity of gratuitous verbiage on here from now on. And thanks for the kind words. I agree with you, I dare say the TSSAA won't be spending money on laptops anytime soon. Now lap dances? Hmmm....while it might not do much good for the athletes or the schools, it would certainly be lots more fun!

As for Keith Gentry, not only does he do stats for all Shelby Co.-area schools, he's like the scorekeeper guru for Southwest State Community College. If you want an example of what lengths he goes to to get stats for Memphis teams (and anyone who has ever tried to compile stats will tell you that getting Memphis stats can be an adventure), he will actually meet coaches on street corners on a Sunday afternoon just to get video tape of games and then do statistical breakdowns on his own time. To provide such a service statewide would require significant dedication of about three people from each grand division working long hours to funnel their data into a statewide pool. I could work and be very profitable, however, who has time for all of that?

Edited by robjim