Is MBA the best team in state?

BigOrange 3

ahh big poppa, good observation...those Stratford teams, with any semblance of coaching, would have been among the top teams in the nation...I was on the MBA team that Stratford beat in '92...admittedly, we were not very good that year (by MBA standards) and were really outclassed talent-wise, but managed to hang in there with them...they had 4 (4!!!) 1000 yard rushers on that team!!!

MAybe the Gallatin folks can enlighten us because I think it was Gallatin who knocked them out in each of those years...I think in '92 Stratford jumped to a huge lead and Gallatin came back and won in a driving rainstorm...

best team I ever saw: MBA 1999. I don't care what anyone says, that team was just sick. Their 2nd team would have been in the top 5. Second best, Lincoln County 1990 with Kelly Holcomb...they were basically dominant from day 1 and finished undefeated without ever really being challenged...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I cannot remember who they lost to in the 92 season but in 91 they lost to a very good Henry County team. The win was tainted though because Eric Gardner was ejected on a play that he did nothing wrong and Coleman was out from an injury the week before. No doubt about it, if those two were in they would have cruised to a state title. And just think, Coleman was a sophomore.

I remeber that now...Coleman was an Alabama signee who waffled between MLB and football, ultimately choosing MLB. Could have been a great college football player...

Seriously, those guys ran the "stack I" as in three rb's stacked behind one another, hands on thigh-pads. They ran so much misdirection it I can't tell you how many times we tackled the wrong guy.

A funny game was in 1992 when they played McGavock. McGavock (with Johnathan Quinn--that was a good year for NAshville football) tried to put basically 10 guys in the box to stop the run...of course, there was no one after the LOS, so Stratford's rb's finished with td runs of something like 87, 90, 74, 45, and 50 yards...the stats after that game defied imagination...I remember because we watched that film in order to strike fear in our db's....

For what it's worth, seven Trinity players caught passes against MBA. Four are seniors and three are juniors. If that makes them 14 and 15 years old, they have some precocious students in Louisville.

That being said, I do agree with big poppa in that MBA is not unbeatable. If MBA does not play its best game and a good team does play a good game, MBA can lose. However, I think the senior leadership this year for MBA is too committed to allow for a let-up. We'll see what happens - MBA has some tough games ahead.

On paper, it looks like MBA-Lincoln County would be a good game. I’m also interested in Maryville-Knoxville Central tomorrow night. While I don’t think it would be fair to play the comparative score game (MBA beat McCallie by 29, McCallie beat Knoxville Central by 23), I would think that a team as highly-touted as Maryville should handle Central easily – at least by a couple of TDs.

Actually, big poppa, we(Gallatin) beat Stratford in '91. We were down at halftime, but it wasn't raining. We made some defensive adjustments at halftime that pretty much stopped the run in the second half. I agree, any coaching at all, and they would have been dominate!

I believe it was Henry County that put them out in '92, because we were all shocked to get back to the locker room and hear that score. We then had to go to Paris to play Henry County in the semis. That was a very good Henry County team also. I believe they could have beaten Clinton too if they had beaten us. Probably the best team we played that year, and their crowd was HOSTILE! People were lined up 4 or 5 deep all the way around the field.

Let me make an argument for two teams that could compete with anybody in the state and that is Dickson County and Lincoln County. Both teams are physical and powerful. Also, keep in mind that coaching has a huge part of every week. Coach Jerry Pearson of Dickson has forgotten more football than most coaches know. Ask anyone that knows anything about a quality coach and they will tell you that Pearson is probably the most knowledgeable coach around. If he could go to downtown Nashville and find his players (BA),

So BA coaches hang out downtown and recruit? When was the last time Dickson Co. beat BA or MBA?? Your posts make you sound like an ignorant redneck.

Let me make an argument for two teams that could compete with anybody in the state and that is Dickson County and Lincoln County. Both teams are physical and powerful. Also, keep in mind that coaching has a huge part of every week. Coach Jerry Pearson of Dickson has forgotten more football than most coaches know. Ask anyone that knows anything about a quality coach and they will tell you that Pearson is probably the most knowledgeable coach around. If he could go to downtown Nashville and find his players (BA),

So BA coaches hang out downtown and recruit? When was the last time Dickson Co. beat BA or MBA?? Your posts make you sound like an ignorant redneck.

CR4 it sounds like I must have touched on a sore spot and I apologize for offending such an honest program. I mean, only a redneck would assume that the whole public and private split just came out of nowhere. You know, you are probably right, it was someone like Lighthouse Christian that must have created such a controversy. By the way, does your mommy and daddy know you are using such foul language like dirty redneck. I didn't think that type of language was acceptable in Williamson County. I'm not even from Dickson I was just giving their coach credit that I think he deserves. I'll bet you your BMW that Coach Flatt would agree. Hurry up and reply spoonfed!

this is another topic for another day, but the split came because certain coaches needed a convenient excuse for losing to the same program(s) every year...god help the world if either Bowers, Flatt, or Rutlege had coached those Stratford teams...

I'll admit though that times have changed and private schools do in fact have lots of advantages over public schools.

Coach Jerry Pearson of Dickson has forgotten more football than most coaches know.

Coach Pearson was on the staff at MBA for a while a few years back. There is no doubt he is a fine man, an excellent football coach, a master teacher of the game. MBA's own current coaches Coach Edd Caudill and David Brown are Dickson County boys who are a part of Coach Pearson's legacy. They both exemplify the character and skills of Coach Pearson, and we are blessed to have them as part of the MBA family.

Dickson County and Lincoln County are two teams that MBA fans hold in high regard for several reasons. They both desrve to be mentioned in any discussion about who is the best team in the state this year.