Is MBA the best team in state?

BigOrange 3

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First the public split came from Ronnie Carter not enjoying BA go 30-0, winning two 5-A championships, and destroying all the "big boys". Second I was taking nothing away from DC coach. Thrid you did not answer my qustion of when DC has last beat BA or MBA.? Fourth, unless Flatt offered you personally something illiegal all your facts are hear-say. Has Flatt been found guilty of anything? My mommy and daddy? You assume I'm young? And finally it's a Lexus, what are you going to put up besides your teeth?

First the public split came from Ronnie Carter not enjoying BA go 30-0, winning two 5-A championships, and destroying all the "big boys". Second I was taking nothing away from DC coach. Thrid you did not answer my qustion of when DC has last beat BA or MBA.? Fourth, unless Flatt offered you personally something illiegal all your facts are hear-say. Has Flatt been found guilty of anything? My mommy and daddy? You assume I'm young? And finally it's a Lexus, what are you going to put up besides your teeth?

Of all the great teams I have seen ther, none match up with what I believe may have been the best team ever, the 1991 and 1992 Stratford teams. They were flooded with athletes and if you remember, they had 4 backs rush for over a thousand yards. They were led by Michael Coleman, far and away the best back the state of Tennessee ever produced.

I was at the playoff game when Gallatin beat Stratford in the early 1990's. Stratford jumped on Gallatin quick and hard in the first half, but did not know how to hold the lead. That Stratford team was the most undisiplined team I ever saw enter a high school playing field. Penalties galore. Never mind the old "Miami Rule".....call it the "Stratford Rule" for taunting. I will say that Stratford team had awesome talent, but definitely not the best team ever if they couldn't play in the State Championship.

As far as Michael Coleman being the best back ever in TN.......nahhhhhh. There have been far many better backs than Michael Coleman. I would take Santonio Beard of Pearl-Cohn over Coleman. This state has had an abundance of talent in the backfield. Michael Coleman does not ring a bell until you said Stratford.

I am rolling! :ph34r:

How can you say that you guys destryed the "big boys" when yall played in 2A for so long. An argument to be made is that MBA played with the "big boys" when you guys didn't and were unsuccessful in winning a state championship for decades. In addition, I am not taking anything away from either school because they have rich traditions that create lots of excitement. MBA being ranked nationally is great for their institution and the state of Tennessee high school football. Schools like MBA and BA have represented our state exceptionally well. My point is that it is not fair to argue that public schools cannot compete with them when they are not given the opportunity. There are several public schools that can match up competitavely with anybody. We as fans can never say beyond reasonable doubt that there is a true state champion until they play it on the field. As far as evidence concerning being found guilty, no I cannot say there is solid proof but there are anumerous amount of fans that believe a small handful of programs that contributed to the disassembling of the public verse private competition. (hang on a second my teeth fell out). Lastly, what we are doing right now is what it is all about. Fans enjoy arguing these topics and that makes it fun. I will denture, I mean venture to say that you and I and the rest of the fans would like to see the bragging rights of the best be settled on the field. We apologize for getting under your skin so early in the day. I hope you are not a Vandy fan!

BA played and went undefeated in 5-A. I would guess that helped with the split. I would also say that they (5-A) are the big boys. By the way BA, at that time could have played 1-A b/c of the small enrollment. Many less boys than MBA. Why have I gotten no answer to when the last time was that DC beat MBA or BA? Please answer if you can remember. By the way, is our bet off?

For what it's worth, seven Trinity players caught passes against MBA. Four are seniors and three are juniors. If that makes them 14 and 15 years old, they have some precocious students in Louisville.

That being said, I do agree with big poppa in that MBA is not unbeatable. If MBA does not play its best game and a good team does play a good game, MBA can lose. However, I think the senior leadership this year for MBA is too committed to allow for a let-up. We'll see what happens - MBA has some tough games ahead.

On paper, it looks like MBA-Lincoln County would be a good game. I’m also interested in Maryville-Knoxville Central tomorrow night. While I don’t think it would be fair to play the comparative score game (MBA beat McCallie by 29, McCallie beat Knoxville Central by 23), I would think that a team as highly-touted as Maryville should handle Central easily – at least by a couple of TDs.

So you're saying that MBA will beat BA by 21 points? Wow...this is going on the bulletin board!!

Just kidding you! :blink:

the thing is (about the split) IMO, BA should have moved up long before 1995 to a higher level of classification than 2A...Of course Rankin was livid that BA won 2 5A titles (and beat him both times, right?). But he never could have managed something like that on his own. When he started drumming up support for the split, he had a captive audience in all of BA's victims from over the years in 2A (given the old play-off format, it was the same teams they beat every year en route to the Clinic Bowl). That's why the split was able to get enough support to carry...All the metro Nashville schools voted against it (i.e., MBA's competition)...

the bottom line though is that Flatt was a successful coach and didn't need to recruit as his program recruited for itself...it's just a shame that we have this crappy system now...

big papa,

you've got some serious problems.. about the split? public cried and made their own division.. luckily, we get to scrimmage dickson co. every summer included this most recent won where were we made them look like a middle school team. all of our starters enjoyed the sideline by middle of 2nd quarter. good game! .. were you at the scrimmage?? all I'm saying is, we (ba) will play any team at any time. the reason we went to illinios and kentucky was because no team would play us. we even had to pay these teams to play us. we would have loved to have played dickson co., brentwood, franklin or any other "powerhouse".. you know where our school is, give Flatt a call, I'm sure we'd play you

I saw MBA play Baylor(and Baylor is a pretty good team), and they are by far the absolute best high school team i have ever seen. They also beat McCallie to a pulp and they have a really talented team this year. They would win big over Maryville. They arent 14th in the nation for nothing people so come on and think about it, if there was a team that is that much better than them they would have a national ranking, but they dont!

First, I agree that many teams in the state would be competitive with MBA. Certainly Lincoln County, Dickson County, Maryville are all very good and the games would not be blowouts. I just happen to think MBA is, overall, better than those others...although Lincoln County looked very very good when I saw them.

That's not my point, however. The real purpose of my post is to once again point out the circular argument that some people make. It goes something like this:

1: We (the big public school team) are just as good as, if not better than you (the DIIAAA team).

2: We won't play you, because you recruit, or have other advantages that we don't have. We don't want to lose to you (as we have before) due to those advantages.

3: But if we did play, we'd beat you.

It makes my head explode!! :blink: