Toughest region

MustangRunning

I agree Kenwood. Our area seems to have latched on to the board, but if you look at the question from a purely historical perspective the toughest region to make state has been and may continue to be the region including Farragut, Oak Ridge, William Blount, Bearden and others. Our third place region team would find it difficult to qualify if they had to compete in the other region. However, I think the top of our region would probably qualify in any region (if that makes any sense). William Blount is a good case to provide as an example. Up until this year, they have been good and been left at home. They should make it out this year, but they've had a really rough go of it as far as making state.

You have to admit though, that a rising tide takes up all ships. Our region was a case in point last year as two teams made it into the top five at state. I don't see our region being a whipping boy for a few years to come. It's still not difficult to qualify for state, but winning our region is pretty big. I honestly don't think that anyone in the state has seen the best from our region so far this year. Hopefully, that will change at the state meet. After all, as many have said, that's the one that counts. We'll just have to see how it plays out. Let's get out of region and best of luck to all.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be wonderful if every area was as interested in crosscountry as the regions in the Chattanooga area seem to be. And it's not just Region 3 in AAA. It A-AA too. Someone ask a while back about who has the best fans. I can't speak outside of this region but a lot of schools in the Chattanooga area have a lot of fans show up for meets. I know that a lot of the Knoxville area schools have big crosscountry teams (Oak Ridge girls come to mind) so maybe they don't have to "talk the sport up" to have interest. At Chattanooga Central, the girls crosscountry team is one girl, just like it was last year. McMinn had one girl last year, who just happened to win state and now they have a team. These kids, parents, and coaches are building interest in a sport that gets just a little newspaper coverage (other than negative things about coaches). I guess we could all shut up and just let this board die. Hopefully, instead, maybe other areas will get more involved.

When did Mcminn "KILL" BCHS? Just wondering? BCHS was 5th in the State last year, and then Mcminn was State Champs. That was a big victory but I wouldn't call it killing??? But I agree that Regions 7, and 8 and 3 are pretty tough for an individual-if you aren't on one of the better teams because the top 10 basically come from one or two teams with a couple of odd ones thrown in the mix!

Bradley gets killed everytime they run against Mcminn. Dont say you we dont kill you because the scores dont lie punk

Guest kenwoodrun

To answer the question about the toughest region, this year's results back up exactly what I said, at least on the girls side. I'm looking at the 24 teams in the girls AAA field, and seeing how many I think we can beat if we run our very best race...or how many we beat at A.F. Bridges, etc. It is not ironic that I think we have or could beat all three teams from regions 3 and 4 and both non-Brentwood teams in 6, and both the other teams in our region, 5. That means throwing out Brentwood (the potential fav), we could actually beat everybody in regions 3-6 if we absolutely on.

On the other hand, at our best we MAY knock off the third place team out of region 1 and 2. We might get one team out of region 8 and 7, as well. Both 7 and 8 were strong upfront, but then fell off tremendously (especially 8). A lot of us could have gotten third in Houston's region.

That said, it is CLEAR that on the girls side regions 1, 2 and 7 were the hardest to get out of, followed by 8. And that follows history. For the guys, that picture may very well be a little more murky.