Knoxville Central at Powell

mocs30

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow--where to begin. Central clearly still had a hangover from last Friday. Powell came out fired up and keying on Cassen. Shavar was not much of a factor in the game due to his ankle. The Powell kids played well thru the first half. They were getting a lot of breaks from the refs and taking advantage of Central's sloppy play. Zach did not look like himself the 1st half (3 fumbles, 2 lost). Powell goes up on some nice pass plays 21-0. We were shocked on the Central side. A late 1st half td by the Cats helped change the momentum. Half time 21-7 PHS. I thought one of the biggest plays of the nite occurred on the opening Powell drive of the 2nd half. 3rd and 8 and Powell missed on a wide open slant pass to the receiver. He would have scored easily. Powell is forced to punt and CHS has all the mo on their side. Central clearly dominated the 2nd half. Defense made some nice adjustments at half to take away the quick slants, and the run defense stiffened. The other big play of the nite occured when it appeared that Powell scored on a long pass in the 4th to take a lead, only to have it called back for a chop block. That was going on all nite. In the end, Central pulls away for a 31-21 win. DaDa Gaston and AJ Nance came up huge. DaDa was better than Cassen tonite and AJ learned his lesson from last week and did not bite on the drag pass that Maryville won the game on. He intercepted the ball to prevent a td.

HTV--I know you will not want to hear this, but the sportsmanship displayed by Powell tonite was the worst. They should really be ashamed. The antics by the Powell coaches on the sidelines, complaining and yelling, the band playing while Central had the ball and the clock operator running the clock way after the whistle had blown on 3 occasions was deplorable. It was a classless, bush league display.

The Powell coaches should have been tossed and the band should have had a least 2 unsportsmanlike penalties. The Powell players were fine, it was the adults that were acting like children. Powell kids are good kids. We know and were glad to see a lot of them after the game. I hope Powell wins next week, for the kids sake.

But Powell should openly apologize to Central for their actions at this game.

HTV -I think you are the one with the blinders on, because medman has made some very good points. Since you weren't at the same game that we were, I will give you some examples of what medman was talking about.....

Deep into the 4th quarter, Central was penalized for two consecutive offsides penalites because the offense couldn't hear the play call because of the band. Powell's Band decided that this would be the best time to make all of the band parent's happy and prove that they are just as important as the game. Powell's coaches were warned....then Powell's coach threw a temper tantrum and ended up getting a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. What should have been a 2nd & 20, ended up being a 1st & 5. (Special Thanks to the Powell Panther Band for all of their contributions in giving the momentum back to the Bobcats)

The play clock....well I don't know. It did keep running, but it may have been an honest mistake. The problem was eventually corrected by the officiating crew.....and the key word is eventually.

Speaking of officiating.....that was one of the most disorganized group of officials that I have ever seen. It's very, very rare that I trash-talk about officials....but these guys couldn't agree on how to eat a Hardee's Breakfast Biscuit!!!! Did somebody forget to tell these guys that it wasn't the CSS game of the week and that they wouldn't be getting any airtime?????

Now....if you want to discuss ignorance, attitude and poor sportsmanship - then look no further than the guys running the down-markers on Central's sideline. Once the "momentum" went Central's way.....all these guys could do was argue with coaches and yell at Central's players.

OK, and I suppose those unsportsmenlike and late hit penalties called against Central in the first half didn't really happen, right?

The officials lost control of the game early and let things get out of hand - on both sides. Central isn't completely innocent, either. It was a hotly contested and emotional game for both teams.

Glass houses, guys. You came back and won after being down big. Your players showed a lot of heart. Quit whining. It cheapens what your players did on the field.

Edited by HTV

HTV--what disappoints me the most is, I expect a lot better from Powell. Powell is a 1st class community and school. I have coached with and against a lot of the people from there. The Powell fans last nite were wonderful. The Powell band put on a tremendous half time show. I will also agree that the refs let this one get out of hand. But you need to see how a few coaches and adults effected the whole game negatively. I also understand that #92 from Powell was ejected for cussing a ref. It looks like he was just following the example of his coach. I really, really hope the ADULTS at Powell will see this and stop it. You are too good for that. I also hope you win next week against Chatt Central. I will still be rooting for the Panthers.

this is too much medman........the very thought that central fans are crying because they didnt win by 2 or 3 touchdowns and are crying about the officiating is absolutely hillarious!!......

that was the worst officiating crew i have ever seen......ill give you that........

but how could you tell they were favoring one team?.....and for your remark about one of our coaches cussing an official......didnt know you were on our sideline!

i doubt very seriously coach stephens cussed anyone!

by the way are you saying our band lined up and almost beat you?

You understand wrong, then, Medman.

Justin Galyon was ejected because the official misinterpreted his intentions of trying to punch the ball away from the ball carrier for trying to punch the player. I know the kid well. I've coached him in baseball. He just isn't that kind of kid. He wasn't trying to punch anybody, and he didn't curse the official. That ejection is going to be appealed, and from what the tape shows, it has a good shot of being overturned.

As for Coach Stephens cursing the official, again that's just not the case. I know exactly what he told the official, and it didn't involve profanity.

I also notice that you completely ignored the unsportsmanlike and personal foul issue from the first half called against your team. I'm not surprised.

When a player from any team gets a personal or unsportsmanlike penalty, it is without a doubt stupid. That holds true for the CHS players, too. Those only hurt your team. The kids that did those have no excuse. What I had heard about #92 was from CHS kids on the field at the time he got the penalty. I really hope he didn't cuss the ref. I would hate to see him suspended if he was just trying to knock the ball loose.

Let me ask this, have the Powell coaches been that animated on the sidelines all year, or was it just this game and the playoff situation? Also, I have not seen you all address the situation with your band playing while Central had the ball.

Animated? It depends on the situation. Coaches from both sides were animated on Friday. The officials were awful both ways.

As for the band, they stopped playing when Central had the ball near the goal line. The second time the ball was at the 38 yard line. Were I the band director, I wouldn't have had them playing, but there is not a TSSAA rule that prohibits it. I've been to plenty of football games - both when a team I was supporting was playing and when I was simply there as a third party spectator - where the band has been playing during the action. I don't like it, and for the record, I don't have a lot of positive things to say about high school bands in general, but they are part of the student body and have every right to be there.