Best team in Tennessee

falconfan94

Consider this, last year BA beats BHS 17-7 had they not fumbled on the goalline it could've been more, the point is they were clearly superior to them, than BHS goes onto be undefeated the rest of the way and wins the 5a championship, and BA loses to MBA in the championship, so they were only the 2nd best team in DII AAA, that should tell you something. I wish there were more big public vs. private meetings around the state

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think teams like Riverdale ,Maryville, Brentwood, DB, Lincoln Co.(this yr.) can play toe to toe with any of the so called "super 7".

Year in and year out? Sure.

This year. I simply don't think so (not with MBA, BA, and CBHS, at least).

While I'm not sure where you're coming up with a 3-1 record in favor of DB over MBA (maybe you're talking about the all-time series), the two most recent DB-MBA games involved probably the two "worst" MBA teams of the last 10 years. The 2001 team was probably Ricky Bowers' worst and that game ended in a DB overtime win. Likewise, the MBA team of the first half of 2002 was not a good team. Baylor and BGA both beat MBA and rolled up well over 300 rushing yards. That was a very young MBA team with a new coach that impoved as the year went on (especially once the playoffs started) and ended up winning the D-II championship. But, at the start of last year, they were terrible....yet still beat DB.

Whatever. You just happened to conveniently pick two games against two of MBA's weaker teams of the past 10 years. You conveniently leave out all of the other dominating wins by MBA over 4A and 5A public schools, such as their dismantling of the likes of Oakland and Lincoln County down in "The Pit" in 2000 (?). If you think those teams you list could've easily stood toe-to-toe with most of the recent MBA teams (particularly '98-'00 and '03), then you aren't watching the same football I am. FWIW, the best public school I've seen MBA play in the last 5-6 years was the '98 (?) Pearl-Cohn team with both Santonio Beard and John Henderson. That was a solid team. Of course, MBA won that one, too.

FWIW, the best public school I've seen MBA play in the last 5-6 years was the '98 (?) Pearl-Cohn team with both Santonio Beard and John Henderson. That was a solid team.

That was the 1997 team. They lost once all year and beat a program named Maryville by 20 in the 4A title game. Pearl-Cohn's one loss came to an MBA team that went 9-3 (all three losses to DII teams) and finished runner-up to 12-0 Father Ryan.

It's hard to keep track. I guess it was '98, then, when Santonio was a senior and we played at PC. Santonio broke a long 80+ yarder for a TD early on, but finished the game under 100 yards. MBA held him to around 10-15 yards the rest of the game.

I recently watched a replay of the '98 MBA-BA title game. I continue to be amazed at the talent on that field. There must have been 25-30 future 1-A or 1-AA players on that field. I mean, the sophomores who barely saw the field included David Harrison, Ingle Martin, Moses Osemwegie, etc. Dominique Morris was the Big Red Dog!!!!!!!

Edited by BigRedBud

It's hard to keep track. I guess it was '98, then, when Santonio was a senior and we played at PC. Santonio broke a long 80+ yarder for a TD early on, but finished the game under 100 yards. MBA held him to around 10-15 yards the rest of the game.

That's correct - 1998 when Beard ripped off the long TD run. That game was at Pearl-Cohn. MBA won that one 27-14.

RRR, help me out on that Lincoln County game in 2000 (I think it was). I left with about 5 minutes to go and I want to say MBA led something like 22-0. Up to that point, MBA had held LC to probably around 50-60 yards of total offense, but had lost at least 3 fumbles deep in LC territory to stop scoring drives. Then, in the last five minutes, LC recovered 2 (?) onside kicks and scored twice (or maybe three times) against the scrubs to make the score look respectable. Didn't it end 22-15, 22-20, something like that?

That was 1999. Redtwin (wherever he is) could elaborate, but you are basically correct. MBA led 22-0 late at The Pit, and LC scored some late garbage to make the final 22-14. The score was not indicative of MBA's control of the game.

LCHS came to MBA in 2000 and lost 41-7.

Edited by rollredroll

big red you've got MBA stuck so far up your rear you can't see day light. I bet you have an excuse for every MBA loss. Your kicker can't even make a 10 yarder. And that was a great snap by the center FRi. night. Oh I forgot it was the refs that beat you. Maybe you guys should try Maryville on for size. They would beat you on coaching alone. Thats all I'll have to say on this subject. I'ts all a matter of opinion anyway.