Volunteer Falcons

CHHS72

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with his selections except the point guard.  This should be Lester Bailey.

Now I love Lester like my own kids, but to say that Lester should be on the first team? Well.... let's look at the stats one on one.

Lester 25 games but only 18 started.

Jay 23 games and all 23 started.

Lester total points 203 for 8.1 PPG.

Jay 265 total points for 11.5 PPG.

Lester 73-217 FG for 33.6%.

Jay 98-199 fg for 49.2%

Lester had 64 assists for 2.6 apg.

Jay had 147 assists for 6.4 apg.

Lester had 52 steals for 2.1 spg.

Jay had 47 steals for 2.0 spg.

Lester had 3 blocks and Jay had 9.

Lester shot 70.6 FT%

Jay shot 63.6 FT%

Lester had 35 Rebounds 1.4/rpg.

Jay had 65 rebounds 2.8/rpg.

Lester had 86 turnovers.

Jay had 109 turnovers.

These are actual stats for both players this year. Also!!! This is Jay's first year at point guard. And!!! He did not get to practice with us because of the transfer in August and football season. So we couldn't groom him. He was just thrown into a position he knew nothing about.

I think Lester is a wonderful guy and good basketball player, but Jay had the better stats in almost every category.

:blink:

stokomo:

it is always stats with you man. believe it or not stats do not mean everything!! i know that is a shocker but it is true. i definately think lester bailey should have been on the first team, he played every game with alot of heart and played pretty well. he also had a great attitude on the court (a little cocky but that is what it takes). jay hughes on the other fusses at the refs constantly and has a terrible attitiude out there on the court.

My first five:

Lester Bailey PG

Joe Brown SG

Alex Carroll C

Chucky Lindholm PF

CJ Minnick SF

I hate to start trouble with you stokomo but I gotta say this, your head coach has got to start setting a better example for the team. anytime you watch Volunteer play you notice that your coach complains about almost every call and it rubs off on the players. it gets them totally out of their game. there is no doubt that there is some talent in hawkins county and i am sure whittemore knows ball but he needs to control his temper.

brock20, You are not starting anything with me. That is your opinion. And yes stats do matter a GREAT deal. Dennis Rodman received the Defensive Player of the Year despite his attitude. Do you think someone else should have received it because of his personal battles? I don't condone such attitude, but you have to see what we know. Jay plays with his heart on his sleeves. He is just as passionate about winning and playing basketball as anyone. He doesn't say much to the refs. What you see is a kid that gets frustrated with his own game and sometimes teammates. Many fans and some refs might take it the wrong way and think that he has an attitude towards refs, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Not one ref has come to us and said "calm down Jay." What Jay has to do is channel his energy into not beating himself up. But how can you not take stats into consideration? The game is won on people that produce. There are a lot of players that have the heart to play, but producing is what will win games. Stats don't mean everything, but they are vital. And any guy that has better stats in 6 of 9 categories, gets my vote over the other. In fact, Lester had a better year, last year.

Just remember that EVERY coach complains to the refs, not only in our conference but the state, the country, and every other sport known to man. This is not a new thing and not something limited to Coach Whit. And also remember that the All- conference teams are selected for the best players, not the nicest person. Although Lester Bailey is a great althlete, he is not the best point guard the the conference.

Although I don't agree with the comments about Volunteer's coach needing to set a better "example", I will say this. Bobby Knight, for example, may not always set the best "example" for his athletes but he does stick up for them and he does get the most out of them and that is what is important. If a coach can motivate his players and teach them the game of basketball and let them have fun, then that in my eyes is "setting a good example."

If we are comparing point guards where is Daniel Skelton? He had wayyy fewer turnovers than Jay Hughes or Lester Bailey. He also scored decent amounts, with only good shots taken. Also, he is probably the best defender, besides Lester. I think he is one of the most underrated players in the Watuaga conference. Just my opinion.

Here are a few other All-Watauga picks that were omitted from the newspaper (due to lack of space):

Best Dressed Coaching Staff - Volunteer

Best Gym - Unicoi County

Best Team Manager - Volunteer

Best First Year Coach - Ty Randolph

Biggest Disappointment (Regular Season) - Sullivan Central

Biggest Surprise (Regular Season) - Happy Valley

I guess after naming 60+ players to its' All-Conference team, there wasn't enough space to list these other awards. Come on guys, get serious. Do any of the coaches in the conference really believe that many players deserved this type of recognition?? I have never even heard of some of these kids. Finally, every coach who voted and did not include Joe Brown (Sullivan Central) on their first team needs to have their head examined. He was far and away the best guard in the conference , HANDS DOWN!!

How does a guy go from not making first team in the conference to first team NE Tn? I don't know how the coaches in the Watauga conference did not consider Joe Brown for the first team. But after learning how the nominations are selected it makes sense how Volunteer got so many on the first and second teams. I think the selection process needs to be changed.