McKenzie-Huntingdon

VOLnWTN

Congrats Mustangs on your victory. I will say I am one Rebel fan who was not on here talking all the trash due to it shows no class. Your speed in the backfield is awesome. Once you broke outside, we could not catch you. I am curious though, how many yards did Bell have? It just seemed like that Weathers and Donald had the big #'s. Not trying say anything in a negative way about Bell just wonder what his stats were.

Anyway, I thought we did a good job of stopping your run in the "I" when you ran between the tackles. When you did jump into the I-Wing or the Wing T that is when Donald popped the 2 big long runs. Weathers did have one good long run out of the "I" when he bounced outside.

Hats off to your "D"!! I thought that was the big story of the game. Coach Mans did as I expected. He lined 4 down dropped everyone else in pass coverage and pretty much said, if you are going to beat us, you are going to beat us running. Which is not one of our strong points.

The 4 big plays for TD's and the pressure of your D was the difference. May be if Hayes doesn't fumble when we are on the 5 the first series it may have been closer. Another thing I noticed was the push of the line in the 1st half vs the 2nd half. You could tell the depth of Huntingdon in the second half was starting to show. McKenzie was getting decent push in the 1st half but about 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter you could see Huntingdon starting to control the LOS.

Again, congrats and I wish you well vs Harpeth.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Mustangs on your victory. I will say I am one Rebel fan who was not on here talking all the trash due to it shows no class. Your speed in the backfield is awesome. Once you broke outside, we could not catch you. I am curious though, how many yards did Bell have? It just seemed like that Weathers and Donald had the big #'s. Not trying say anything in a negative way about Bell just wonder what his stats were.

Anyway, I thought we did a good job of stopping your run in the "I" when you ran between the tackles. When you did jump into the I-Wing or the Wing T that is when Donald popped the 2 big long runs. Weathers did have one good long run out of the "I" when he bounced outside.

Hats off to your "D"!! I thought that was the big story of the game. Coach Mans did as I expected. He lined 4 down dropped everyone else in pass coverage and pretty much said, if you are going to beat us, you are going to beat us running. Which is not one of our strong points.

The 4 big plays for TD's and the pressure of your D was the difference. May be if Hayes doesn't fumble when we are on the 5 the first series it may have been closer. Another thing I noticed was the push of the line in the 1st half vs the 2nd half. You could tell the depth of Huntingdon in the second half was starting to show. McKenzie was getting decent push in the 1st half but about 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter you could see Huntingdon starting to control the LOS.

Again, congrats and I wish you well vs Harpeth.

good post volman glad to see there are mckenzie fans out there.

bell had 121 remembering that he had one run for 77 yards which may cause you to think he had less.

donald had 100 and Weathers had 73 on that one play.

I agree with you that the difference in the game was the Mustang defense and depth, I had the pleasure of being on the sideline and it was unbelievable how hard the Huntingdon kids hit and how hard they play. Mckenzie was quality competion and if the stangs play the way they did against y'all the'll go deep in the playoffs.

Good posts everyone.

Just a couple of points to add to this.

1) Bell had a decent night running the ball but he also had a pretty good night being a decoy. When Weathers scored the long td, that was due to the fake hand off to Bell. All of the Mckenzie defense moved towards the direction Bell was going and that left a BIG hole open for Weathers. When Bell is in the game, the defense responds to each play differently. So, Bell not only hurts you with his legs but also the threat of him having the ball opens up other things for different players.

2) Even leading up to this game, I think pretty much all the Mckenzie fans would admit that Huntingdon had greater depth than Mckenzie did. Why would a coach go with a no huddle offense the entire first half? The recievers were running 30 yard sprints almost every play turning around and doing it again and not have a chance to catch their breath. The Mckenzie recievers showed me a lot about their conditioning but they got put at a disadvantage trying to run all night.

3) Excellent defensive game plan by Huntingdon. I thought the defensive play was outstanding all night long. Yes, Mckenzie racked up some yardage, who wouldn't running over 70 plays. The one play that really stood out to me was one Nellitt shadowed Cook coming out of the backfield and tackled him for a one yard gain after the pass in the flats. Hats off to the coaching staff for being ready.

Whoever was #80 for Huntingdon, Man.....You were big! :lol: I thought I was looking at a monster when I saw you catching a pass in the pre-game warm-ups....I didn't like how ya kept hitting Drew though...But I guess you were doing your job and it was obviously done well and you can tell if you check the score. Good job to both teams. Go far in the playoffs!

For the most part, it has been a good week of posts for our game. Thanks to volsandtitans1 for expressing my feelings as well. Stang04, you had a great game as well as the rest of you teammates. Just go out there and make believers out of Harpeth now!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are talkin' big on here right now and I don't think they have the guns to back it up! As far as our game is concerned, the best team won-------PERIOD. My tail feathers are still catchin' on fire everytime I think about it.

Anybody on here know anything about Cheat. Co. That's who we have to play I guess. Maybe, we'll get to do another one in a couple of weeks????

volsandtitans1,mckenzie does not have a weak running game. they have one of the best backfields around. why the coach does not utilize this is unknown. but give the backs credit.they proved it against westview.

rebel,

come on. coach comer has tried. against a quality opponent we have not ran the ball consistently. I am not saying we don't have any running game, but we have not ran the ball on a consistant basis. Don't get me wrong, i love watching Drew sling that ball. But the coach in me also tells me if we are going to go deep in the playoffs, we are going to have to find a way to run the ball on a consistan basis. It all starts up front. If you give Cook or Campbell a crease of any kind, they will pick up a minimum of 3 yards on shear power.

volsandtitans1, your right mckenzie has not ran the ball consistant. not because of the inability to, but because the lack of carries. you cant have a consistant running game with 10 or 12 carries combined in a game. by 3 backs. as for quality teams the pass doesnt work either. we are to predictable. bad play calling hasnt helped any. who passes the ball on the 5 yd line when you have a back like campbell. the coach seems to have forgotten last season. you have 2 of the best backs around that have been reduced to blocking dummies and benchwarmers. and if you recall the only td against H-town was a run that was set up by more running. the only truth in what you have said is that to go deep in the playoffs we have to run more consistantly, but to do that they need the ball in their hands. you remember the Waverly game dont you?? Nuff said!!

By the way, Campbell and Cook are the real deal. and for all those naysayers that think otherwise just remember last season who got the job done. Coach Comer needs to utilize this D1 talent before its too late.....