Top Five West Tn Single A Teams?

CATS1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a pretty good group. I might go with:

1. Greenfield - Even though I think the loss of Porter and Vaughan on the court and Glisson coaching is going to hurt tremendously, they are the state runners-up, so I'll leave them here until someone proves they're better. Greenfield also has a grueling schedule this year, with games against Dyer Co., Westview, Obion, Union City, and others.

2. Trenton - If they can replace McCullar, who played high school ball for what seemed like 10 years, they will be DANGEROUS considering the inside game they will have. Doaks should be dominate this year if they can get him the ball. Sisco always seems to get everything out of his teams, so I would count on them finding a capable guard.

3. Adamsville - They return some great players in Robinson and Shoat and are always well coached. I still think they were easily better than any team in the state tourney last year not named Greenfield or Temple.

4. Huntingdon - I haven't seen them, but I am hearing a lot of buzz about their young players, namely Donald, and how great they are. I believe they won the TNT Jr. High state tourney with the group that is moving up into high school.

5. Halls - Strayhorn alone will win them many games. And they always have some great athletes who can get up and down the court on you. Halls would seem to be out of control, but it works for them as they usually get the other team to play out of control. Its kind of an organized chaos for them. They play a style that would lead you to believe they have no shooters, but they always seem to have one or two guys who can light it up from outside if given the chance.

Also, watch out for:

South Fulton - They lost some players, but they have some good ones coming back in Hicks and Alexander especially. They will be as tough as usual. Losing the shooter from last year (can't remember his name) will hurt though.

West Carroll - They are sure to make some noise by the end of the season. All indications are that Webb has improved greatly from last year, which is scary. If they can find a complimentary player or two to take some of the pressure off of him, they'll be a team to watch.

Middleton - They are always tough and they'll be around come tourney time.

Lake Co. - The Falcons were young last year and may be ready to make a move.

Trenton does not have a John MCuller this yer but what they do have is a very talented group of sophmores. Greg Ramsey, Tre' Easley, Destrick Fields, Tyresee Brown, Karis Peterson, Markus Singleton will help Peabody become even more talented than they were last year. Trenton did not make it to the boro last year but they should have. They were the best A team in the state. Greenfield got on a role at the right time. If Clint Sisco let this group of athletes play the type of ball that fits them they will be awesome. Ben Avery at 6'5 and Doaks at 6'7 are two very good ballers and I should not faila to mention two more sophmores in Mack Ashburn who may not be the fastest player at 6'3 but is a very good shooter. Also there is 6'4 Mario Partee who is very strong and also is a good shooter. This group of sophmores were runner-up in the TNT State torney. The guard postion will be okay. JJ Williams who is one of only 3 seniors which include Avery and Nelson who I think is the sleeper on this tem, He is about 6'2 and plays very smart. JJ Williams is a good shooter but will be challenged by sophmore Tre' Easley whom I think will be agreat point guard one day. He is the nephew of former Peabody standout Kevin Easley. Also challeging for guard spot should be Destrick Fields who I feel is the best athlete on the team. Trenton boys had better do something this year cause we know what their girls are capable of. Their schedulle will be strong and I think they will lose a few games but who cares when you make it to the Boro. Good luck tide!

storm, Trenton sounds pretty scary for other teams to try to defend. I had actually forgotten about Ramsey. You are right, he will be special if he continues to improve.

As far as the Easley kid, if he is anything like his uncle, WOW. Kevin was a man among boys out there on the court. Trenton was almost unstoppable when he and D. Tyler were both on.

It is a shame that Trenton, Mitchell, Middleton, Adamsville, Halls, and Greenfield were all in the same region last year. I think all of these teams could have had a good shot at knocking off Temple last year. I especially hated that McCullar didn't get a shot at the tourney. He was a class act and was such a fighter.

It should be an interesting year in West TN though. There are a lot of talented players coming through right now.

I just got back from a Huntingdon scrimmage and it was a killing without Donald,Hillsman,Bell, Townes and a few others. I don't know if you have seen this team but there inside game is big and strong. When the football boys join the team they are going to run all over teams. For a Class A team you better keep your eyes on this one. All starters are back from last year. better get on this horse if you are bettin.