AA Mr. Basketball

gomab2

Good post wneely! It seemed like everyone got mad at you last year because you talked so much trash ,and this year they're mad because you won't talk enough! People... People... wneely is only one man! I agree that our team will do all the talking for us. So, give the guy a break!

He believes its going to be Dustin Watts in '04 and i'm right there behind him! Watts' astronomical improvement from last year should definitely earn him Mr. Basketball. Lets just give credit where credit is due. He may not have gotten them out of the region last year, which, in part, is due to the tenacity of the student section from Giles, but Watts is the real deal this year.

LEBRON WHO?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to stay away from posting anything negative, but I simply must say that some foolks really chose to show how ridiculous and unobjectiive they are through these message boards. No one has argued that Tyler Smith is not a good basketball player, definetly one of the top players in the state and country for that matter, but for someone posting on this message board to think that they are better at surveying college talent than Billy Donavan, you must be joking. I had the opportunity to speak with coach Donavan at length about Corey Brewer and he is very excited about this kid, in fact he informed me that if a couple of guys leave early, as he is expecting at Florida, that Corey could crack the starting line-up as a freshman. I understand that you may know Tyler, he may be one of your friends or relatives, but before bashing another high school athlete, take time to knoow something about them. Aside from beeing a tremendous talent on the court, Corey Brewer is an outstanding individual. I know alot about Tyler as well, he dunked on the team I was coaching eight times last year on the way to the state tournament.

t

e

Gomab i agree with your top 3 finalists. Brewer is a great player, but Tyler Smith is the best player. Not only is he the best player in AA he is the best player in the State period! He is also in the top 5 nation wide. He made the all - Adidas camp this summer (top 10 in the camp) which only has the top 200 kids in the country there. There have been several websites that have him ranked #1. Not to take anything away from Brewer, who is also ranked in the top 200. Smith is just so much more physically better than any other kid his age. He has a great game, the only thing that can keep him down is his attitude. His attitude thus far has been fine but you never can tell when a kid gets too cocky. I think he has his head on right. Giles' team being as good as they are also helps that fact of him being this years Mr. Basketball

I can't figure out your analysis gomab. You seem to know something about basketball but somehow can't bring yourself to give Tyler his due. There is no way Brewer compares when it comes to an all around game. First he plays NO DEFENSE. Second he takes too much time off when the play is away from his side. Finally, he can't be as smart if he wants to play for the lizzards in Fla.

Tyler is easlily the best player in the STATE. Just ask the recruiters who they would rather have. It would be Smith hands down......................

Come on now partner, Tyler doesn't play defense either. Not many high school kids get taught defense until college. They just rely on their athletic ability to make it. That's not necessarily there fault, it's just that the coaches have a hard time teaching it, or just don't. In his case they probably don't work much on D, just pushing the ball and a little bit of full-court trapping. Not much half-court D is covered.

Oh, by the way, Corey Brewer does play defense. He was called the Deion Sanders of high school basketball in a recent AAU publication. He had an outstanding summer and shut down severl of the nation's top players. Before you make a statement, know the facts- ask anyone who knows high school basketball and saw Corey play this summer- one of the best defenders in the country. I'll research to find the publicatiion that I read and post it so you can read it foor yourself, apparently you have never seen him play.

Oh, by the way, Corey Brewer does play defense. He was called the Deion Sanders of high school basketball in a recent AAU publication. He had an outstanding summer and shut down severl of the nation's top players. Before you make a statement, know the facts- ask anyone who knows high school basketball and saw Corey play this summer- one of the best defenders in the country. I'll research to find the publicatiion that I read and post it so you can read it foor yourself, apparently you have never seen him play.

I just wished you could go to his first practice at Florida, and you'll see how good he is at defense. Once again shutting down a player and playing team D is 2 different things. Any athletic player (i.e. Brewer and Smith) can play one-on-one defense if they have to. But being in the correct position when your man doesn't have the ball is another subject. My point being not many players know all the correct positioning until college....when all the players can run, jump, shoot and dominate just like they have on the typical high school basketball player.

I am in no way saying that he has nothing to learn, what I am saying is that he is a great high school defender. He is without question playing good team defeense for his team in Portland, in fact he is in a situation there where he is the team defense. He

knows where to be and when to be there, but he is also the type of competitor who will gaurd everyone on the court if he has to, and that may be the case with thiis year's team. I am sure after speaking with coach Donavan about Cory that he is not worried about his defense, he knows he can play. I was talking more in my post about how he will do this year in high school basketball, and why he should be the front-runner for Mr. Baskettball.

I have seen the Brewer boy play, and to be really honest he just did not impress me. Yes, I would say that he is one of the better players in the state, but not the best. If Allen has already won it twice and Tyler is has good as everyone says he is, then Brewer just dont have much of a chance.

Also, some of you guys need to stop giving Gomab such a hard time, he seems to know alot more about it than you guys give him credit for. Besides that, just because he says something doesn't mean that it is written in stone, he is just simply writting his opinion. The same as everyone else.

Edited by ITSALLABOUTBALL

wneely,

I'm confused, i admittedly know alot less about basketball than I do about basketball, but i thought being a great cover corner in the NFL was what every cornerback strived for. Overall defender vs. great cover corner, what's the difference? If you are eluding to the fact that he did not tackle well, I think your missing the point, there is no tackling in basketball. Quarterbacks stopped throwing at Deion, and I think the point is that unless you want the ball going the other way, whether it be a steal, forced turnover, or blocked shot-if your on offense keep the ball away from Brewer, because if he gets his paws on it, its going the other way.