William Blount Coaching Wish List

GovMan

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Heath Davis is a current MTSU graduate assistant who coaches on the offensive side. He has expressed interest in a Head Coaching job at the High School level. He started out at UT as an undergraduate, went to Georgia High School before coaching at the junior college and now Division I level. Would be a great hire for any of these schools. Yes I am promoting him, he is a good friend of mine who is unwilling to promote himself.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the comment that I felt the WB system of old played favorites. Well I will not name names but a few years a certain head coach (Who may have been a thief) allowed his son to be the ball carrier 30-40 times a game when the kid should have been on the o-line. Another kid, now carrying the ball real well for Maryville College got limited touches at WB because of it. He is developing into a great Small college back. Year before last or so another coach’s kid who was the qb, safety, punter, kick return man and was given the ball 90% of the time in almost every situation. I know the 150lb kid was a great athlete and did a good job; it is just placing your eggs in one basket in my view. When the kids were done so were the coachs in both instances. You got a 5A school at WB and 125 kids go out for the team about every year, one would think the program would not have to play kids both ways. After all it is a team game. So if the belief is out there that WB has had talent, then why do the coaches down there refuse to use it.

My post was not intended to make fans mad, just that I think WB should go after new blood because as anyone can see the status quo is not getting it done. I only know what I read in the papers, word of mouth and seeing the games in person. Why did Coach Reid really leave? He seems to be doing well at Alcoa. I hope WB and the county school board get this situation fixed for the kids, not the fans!

FBEmeritus,

Good post ... I'd only disagree on one point. Yes, Fickert played his son too much, but no, I don't think he was in the wrong position. He was one of the most powerful runners WB ever had. He would be in the top five career catagories in most every running back catagory at Blount. Some of it maybe because he did get so many carries a game, but he was a great high school running back (one of the hardest off season workers Blount has ever had).

But overall, good post.

Hey boyz!

Tornado 1...I'm not your mama am I? I spent a few dayz in the "hood" trying to get Donnie Hodge to commit to the red and black!

I think the kids name was Mashburn, and I don't believe he was all state. He was however a good football playa!

Once again, though, I am at a loss to know of any overall football playa better than my boy Reese!

Reese is such a good boy too! He is at Cleveland State and working hard! He is a boy a mom can be proud of!

Anyway, Tornado1 you haven't been posting much and I can already see I like you. However, a word to the wise...Flip doesn't play when it comes to this forum. You would think it was the all encompassing, all inspired word of God...

He takes this and life way to serious!

Love you boyz!

:D

I thank if'un they hire a Pearson, they couldn't do no better than "Honest" Bill. He is quite the salesman. He reminds me a little of Big Ted and Rainbow, except a sharper dresser.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised to see Earl the Pearl at the home of the Mountain Ears, since Caitie is there.

Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Hey boyz!

Starz I am warning you...ole Flipper doesn't play and he has a brother that is a lawman in Blount County!

His brother drives around in those hard to see black stealth fee grabbin' carz!

Anyway...I know one thing about Earl...a lot of things would have to change in Blount County before he would go to the Mountain Ears...however, they would be hiring a great coach...that is of course if he doesn't have any more children, so he wouldn't play favorites.

Also, I am thinking the only reason Caitlyn is playin' at Heritage is because Earl is in the Blount County schools.

She really isn't all that good a playa!

Yeah right...jump on that one Emeritus.

Do you think if Coach Macman went to Heritage, Cait would play more because of his influence? Do you think she would play both ways, shoot free throws, make assists, shoot three pointers, rebound and play defense...like my son Reese did because his dad played favorites?

Come on! What did I say?

Love you boyz!

:D

Suz, iz ol' Flipper's bruvver's car as stealthy as Jimbo's Marauder? Maybe if he got a mad-on and rit me up, I could use you as a reference to git me out of hit. I know you must know ol' sarge, the old Mountain Ear TE, and he could help git me out of a tickit. What 'chee thank?

I don't know if Earl could leave his radio job come to thank of it. I know he would definately miss Todd. By the way Suz, did you ever go out with Todd?

Why has everybody in radioland turned their back on ol' Glenn? I mean you go into the Blount County Sports Hall of Fame one day and the next day Glenn and Squatty are out of a job.

Suz, I noticed you mentioned LaDonald Hodge. Thanks for your help on his recruitment, but ol' Jack had the last word on Donnie gettin' to MHS.

Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

I think Cait could probably be a pretty good punt/kick off returner is she really wanted to.

Suuuuzzzeeee,

Is there any truth to the rumor that you and little Suzette have made a personal visit up east to see Charles "Cookie" Frye about the opening at W.B.? It's what I'm hearing.

Lee Mashburn was a heck of a good football player for Blount ... a big "hog" type if you will. Also, one of the earliest winners of Coach Mark Davidson's "Pistol Pete" FCA Scholarship.

And speaking of big ... how about big Ralph Kidd? Remember him?

and there is the probem, he's been in Blount County before with some success, & decided the grass was greener elsewhere.

Is Reeves the Off coach at Blount? Seems to me like he's done a pretty good job, been a servant now under 3 head coaches, has served his time, & deserves a chance.

Susie--

You are wealth of knowledge on Blount County football. I love reading your posts, because you crack me up as usual. However, you and I both know who should get the job, and his name hasn't even been mentioned on here yet!!! So keep talking and maybe somebody will come around and get it right eventually. Later gater. :D

I just wanted to ask a few questions. Rarely do I post on this thing because really all it turns into is a rumor mill, but anyway. I was wondering how long Dr. Martin has been a principal at WB? I also wonder what WB has left in the stables after this year's graduating class? And finally, what really concerns me, what is going on up there, behind closed doors, that would lead to the exiting of four head coaches over the past four years? How bad can it be? That is a question which might need to be answered by Coach Phelps or one of the previous head coaches. Football is obviously not high on the priority list at that school, specifically. I do not know about the other sports. D.B. has done a good job with basketball, the baseball coach has done a good job also. I think the real problem, and one that will not be fixed in the near future, is the administration at the school. I honestly do not think the school board is concerned at all with who the administration hires. I think dilemma falls strictly on those in charge of the hiring process. Who in their right mind hires a head coach, after two former ones leaving in following seasons, that possibly might not want to stay at that school after one year? It makes no sense. I am not saying anything bad about Coach Phelps just the reasoning behind the decision making process. Priorities, my friends, it's all about priorities!