Who wins this Dual?

Silverbullet

I have to say that I am very surprised about the number of people who picked John Lane over Jorden Leen. Isn't Leen 40-0 and 44-0 the past two years while Lane has gone 47-8 and 32-1. I haven't seen anyone hang with Leen recently--not close enough to where I doubted him, at least. He's the most skilled wrestler since Keller--maybe more since he's wrestled the likes of Silberman and Cleveland while the D1 wrestlers were dodging Keller (not to say that Leen is better than Keller--I think Keller was the better wrestler, but Matt definitely did not have the same competition as Leen has had). I just think that some people are letting their D1 loyalty get in the way of making reasonable predictions. Then again...maybe Lane would win. I think Lane is the stronger of the two. Alas, I will stay with my choice to beat John Lane, win state, and become OW at UTC. By the way, does anyone know for sure that Leen weighs that much?

Edited by best_of_the_west

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cbg, dblduce, and takedown42:

J-Leen is an outstanding wrestler, but if winning 3 TSSAA titles makes him the best, what about Ryan Scott? What about Quinn Gibson who would have 3 if he hadn't matched up with a current starter for OK St? Same for Spencer Manley if not for a current starter at Army. Who they beat has to weigh more heavily then titles.

This thread demonstrates why I think this will be one of the most exciting seasons ever; there are a lot of great wrestlers this year! Who is the best of the best will be interesting to find out and may be resolved on the mat this season. Is it Leen? Well, he was weighing in the upper 40's 4 weeks back. If he doesn't pull a massive amount of weight he should match up with Blair, Lane, or Manley. If he beats 2 of these 3 then he would have my vote. Lane is tough also. If he beats 2 of Blair, Leen, or Manley then he might be the one. James can't be overlooked if he beats Cordell, Hiller, and Simpson. Gibson is excellent also, but his competition won't be as well known as the others. Nick Marable and Scott have each other as their measuring stick. Looking forward to seeing Campbell and Mike Marable square off at the McCallie tourney. I'm sure there are probably others that I'm forgetting too. As I see it, there is a pack of 12 to 15 viable candidates to be considered "best wrestler in TN" this season and it will be a blast for the fans watching it play out on the mat.

He's the most skilled wrestler since Keller--maybe more since he's wrestled the likes of Silberman and Cleveland while the D1 wrestlers were dodging Keller (not to say that Leen is better than Keller--I think Keller was the better wrestler, but Matt definitely did not have the same competition as Leen has had).

Best of the West:

Your argument has holes. Matt Keller beat Casey Brewster ( a 2-time defending champ and current starter for West Virginia) to win his freshman year and as I recall was awarded OW for the feat. Leen was losing to 8-1 to a 10th grade Silberman (a 1st year starter) and came back for a 3rd period pin.

I was really speaking of the later years. I was in middle school when Keller was a freshman, so I can hardly be held accountable for that. I was just saying that everybody knows that people were dodging Keller after that. It's common knowledge, and he deserved that kind of respect. And I said that no one has challenged Leen recently--not that he has never been challenged. Seriously though, 85-0 over the past two years has to be worth something. I was not aware that his match with Silberman was so close, but he still won state. Just so it's clear, I think Matt Keller is the best high school wrestler I have ever seen on the mat besides Phillip Simpson. Jordan Leen is an outstanding wrestler, and no college is going to look to see if he was losing that match against Silberman before he pinned him. I stand by my predictions and opinions, and I never have and never will claim to be an infallable encyclopedia on the history of TSSAA wrestling, but when it all comes down to it, nobody will beat Jordan Leen this year.

How do you guys talk about how Leen is the most skilled wrestler since Keller? Did you forget about 4X State champion and 140+&1 Simpson. The last time I checked Simpson also started as a freshman (1 close call from All-American) and sophmore conference champion and All-American. Will probably be ranked 3rd in the next rankings at 157#. While Keller was a great Tennessee wrestler, what is he ranked now?

"Leen is the most skilled wrestler since Keller"---Do you know what that means? It means that of all the wrestlers after Matt Keller, Leen is the most skilled. Simpson came before Matt Keller. I didn't say anything about Keller being better than Simpson, and I never would. Phillip Simpson is a better wrestler than Matt Keller. Happy?

lane could beat leen,there is no doubt.Im sorry,but a wrestler who has alot more physical strength and maybe a little less technique has a very good chance of beating someone who has much less physical strength and a little more technique.You dont have to be well versed in technique to be a great wrestler.Thats why john will beat jordan.

At the levels we are talking about technique makes a huge difference. While I would agree that Lane is stronger than Leen, Leen has been working hard in the weight room. That is why we are talking about him @ 135- 140 and not 119 like last year. He is much stronger than last year and continues to be the slickest wrestler in Tennessee. It would be a great match between two very different styles.