Herndon Vs. Williams

GBT57

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't mean to ruin your fun but the winners of all of the Mr. Football awards have been decided. When they release the three finalist, they are the three top vote getters and the winner's name is sealed until 12/1.

Man, I didn't know that....... well, I think that they might open them back up and change 'em if either one shows 'em something special Friday- Let it roll Roger B)

This is from someone who has seen both players in action and on film. Both played against our team. At least against us there was no contest. Herndon had a great day against our D and we almost shut Williams down. I do not see Herndon stopped by the Cav's defense...especially the way Page's backs ran right at them. A 5 man def line is not going to stop Herndon in the wing T....and Herndon is lightning fast.. Williams is very tough, but if he can't turn the corner GB def will hold him in check. Again this is not scientific by any means...but against us Herndon was much better.

Williams had very few touches against Page. Page was keying on him, so Crockett let their other backs step up to the plate (which they do very well). Williams is a great back and a great person. I also found out that Herndon is a junior where williams is a senior.....that will play a role in the decision of Mr. Football.

I AM A SMITH CO. FAN AND I YOU NOTICE IN THE STATS YOU JUST POSTED MICHAEL WILMORE IS AHEAD OF HERNDON IN BOTH CATEGORIES AND HE IS NOT A FINALIST....

WHAT THE heck IS UP WITH THAT?

MF

I would attribute two things to that.

1. Wilmore's average was 6.4 yards per carry whereas Herndon's was 7.7 yards per carry.

2. More importantly, Greenbrier is a lot closer to the Nashville market than Smith County......played a lot more Nashville area schools.....hence Herndon got a lot more media attention than Wilmore.

I agree that it may not be necessarily fair, but it is what it is. However, I do know that not only did Herndon rack up big numbers, he did it against big competition in big games. He ran up over 200 yards on David Lipscomb.

All that said, I agree with the poster who said Williams being a senior will probably be a big factor in the voting. If for no other reason, he may get it because of that since Roger will have another year. There is no doubt that both guys are deserving.....as is the guy from Austin-East. But, only one guy can win the award!