Tennessee, the Premier State for Girls Basketball?

HUCK

Tenn. is very org. But we need a more althletic game for alot of D1 schools. To many coachs teach the player's to shoot from (THE POCKET LIKE GIRLS BBALL) 'CAN WE ALL SAY - BLOCK SHOT' IN DI BBALL. IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR THE GAME AND RECRUITING FOR THE GIRLS

TO SHOOT LIKE BOYS (WITH L NOT V SHAPE SHOOTING POSTION). :justwrestle:

You're absolutely right. Tennessee girls basketball hasn't changed that much over the last decade and people who don't travel and watch girls basketball nationally are the ones who can't fathom that other states have caught up and even surpassed us. I love my state just as much as anyone else, but I'm sorry to say that these states are producing girls who can just flat out play. If you want to see my point, go back and look at the results of Tennessee teams Nationally back a decade or two ago--both AAU and High School. At that time (late 80s to mid 90s), we did dominate, and very well at that. Tennessee teams won an unprecedented amount of AAU Nationals in several age groups, while placing 2 and 3 teams in the top four at times. Also, Shelbyville was dominant in High School with their National Championships.

However, if you look back at the last few years since then, we haven't won much of anything on the National level. Girls are changing physically in the way that they can play basketball so the same slow down, jack-em-up from the hip three pointers game isn't going to work anymore when you have girls who can run, leap and shoot like real athletes can. I have seen some amazing changes in the girls game since the late 90s when I was playing (1996,1997,1998) and I'm still pretty young.

Its all really objective, though, because this doesn't lessen the accomplishments of the top programs in our state. Team-wise and fundamentally, they are some of the best clubs Nationwide. But, it just goes to show that when these teams match up with teams that are more athletic and decently fundamentally-sound, they lose and sometimes by a lot. Also, several girls who have played on top state teams, have not received scholarships to top programs, not even to our top in-state program, the Lady vols of Tennessee. Yet several other schools who have never made it even to the state tournament have sent girls to major Division 1 programs...its really objective.

If you measure a high school program's success by how many titles it has won state-wide, then you'll think that program is successful. If you measure a program's success on how many girls it has sent to major D-1 programs (not just bottom level), then that program is successful by your standards. If you measure a program's success by how it competes in its state, how it competes nationally, AND by how many players over a short time receive scholarships to top college programs, most people would say this is a good measure. It just depends on the person. For this discussion, everyone is debating how our state ranks Nationally so naturally, a comparison should be made based upon how we measure up to other teams AND players from across the country.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee is a leader in the country because of the great emphasis that is placed on the sport here.

It is true that other states have made giant strides in girls basketball, but those states started from nothing. In Tennessee, girls basketball has been a way of life for many years. In most other states, girls play the game trying to play like the boys game. The two are different.

Tennessee does not have as many great players as other states, but we have better teams.

And I like the way we do it.

YES,CARAMELCUTIEPIE I ARGEE! I HAVE LIVED IN TEXAS(WHERE UT RECUITIERS ALWAYS COME)MARYLAND, MISSISSIPPI,AND NOW TN.B-BALL BOYS OR GIRLS IT'S STILL B-BALL,YOU STILL GET YOUR SHOT BLOCKED,STOLEN & EVEN DUNKED ON BY GIRLS FROM OTHER STATES.iF YOU LIVE IN THE PAST,LIFE WILL PAST YOU BY.SO ByE,ByE,(OAKMON) LIFE IS MOVING ON! <_<:D:D

Although I don't agree with carmelcutiepie on the AAU angle because we have won

national championships in the 90's and 2000 & 2001 other states have caught up but I still think the quality of play and the players is still very high in state.Right now our state is lacking an abundance of girls 6'2" and taller.Georgia had enough to fill up two states at a exposure camp back in September but the overall skill levels of the big girls were lacking.The girls in Tenn. for the most part are being taught the game the right way.The amount of girls who are athletic or tall will change from time to time. Pat Summitt has the clout to recruit nationally which means some good homegrown players will get overlooked occasionally,but I would be interested in knowing percentage wise how we stack with other states on girls going on to play college ball.

Edited by givbakr2

Although I don't agree with carmelcutiepie on the AAU angle because we have won

national championships in the 90's and 2000 & 2001 other states have caught up but I still think the quality of play and the players is still very high in state.Right now our state is lacking an abundance of girls 6'2" and taller.Georgia had enough to fill up two states at a exposure camp back in September but the overall skill levels of the big girls were lacking.The girls in Tenn. for the most part are being taught the game the right way.The amount of girls who are athletic or tall will change from time to time. Pat Summitt has the clout to recruit nationally which means some good homegrown players will get overlooked occasionally,but I would be interested in knowing percentage wise how we stack with other states on girls going on to play college ball.

I didn't say that we hadn't won anything (heck some of my girls won that AAU Nationals in 2000)...I said we haven't won MUCH of anything, meaning, not like we had won in years prior. If you make a valid comparison from recent years to those past, the level of being dominant has definitely ceased. We are still one of the top states and a state can be if they win something here, something there. To be #1, however, means that you dominate year in and year out over a range of time and since we don't live in the past, those past successes don't account for anything right now when talking about which state is #1. Are we one of the top 3 or top 5 states nationally, I'd say sure. Are we #1, I say no way. And that doesn't mean anything bad because I think traditionally, we'll always be somewhere near the top. Some people in other states would love to be able to watch the level of basketball that we do year in and year out.

I believe Tennessee is the premier state for girls basketball. This is why!

1) For right now we have the number one program in the country, Shelbyville.

2) The competition in Tennessee is so tough that the number one team in the country lost twice before the new year.

3) Tennessee teams travel all over the country to compete in the top level tournaments. Cleveland @ Pinkerington, Shelbyville and Oak Ridge @ TOC Great teams also come to Tennessee. the Nationsbank Tournament in Greenville draws great teams from all over!

4) The top college team is located in Knoxville with the greatest female coach in the history of the game. (A little bias)

5) Tennessee has some of the best high school coaches also. examples- Insell @ Shelbyville, Harlow @ Bradley, Burkey @ Greenville, Rogers @ Clarkrange, and many many more

Why or why not do you think this is the premier state?

Shelbyville does not have the #1 program in the country. Oregon City, Christ the King, and of others have better programs. They have lost 3 times already because they were obviously WAY overrated by USA Today.

You're right...the Nationals are in Chattanooga and I would encourage anyone who has never seen a National basketball tournament (a REAL Nationals, not a watered-down version) to go out and see how the girl's game has really evolved. Its really exciting. I think a lot of people don't know that there is basketball outside of Tenenssee and you won't have anything to compare it to unless you venture out and see the thing from a whole perspective.

Keep in mind, though, that it won't be the same as Nationals have been in the past because 1) There are several big tournaments put on at the same time by the shoe companies, tournaments on the West Coast that keep West Coast teams over that way (can't blame them...its cheaper) and 2) for the first time in 3 or 4 years, there will be no players from the best high school girls basketball class ever, the class of 2004.

This is for 85 and 90 warriors(dumb and Dumber). When White Co. starts winning their district or region, then we will start listening to the two of you. Teams that are ranked high don't always go undefeated. At least Shelbyville had a chance to be ranked. I don't know who will win the state this year, but I know who won't. Can we all say White Co.?

This is for 85 and 90 warriors(dumb and Dumber). When White Co. starts winning their district or region, then we will start listening to the two of you. Teams that are ranked high don't always go undefeated. At least Shelbyville had a chance to be ranked. I don't know who will win the state this year, but I know who won't. Can we all say White Co.?

You'd better start listening because White Co. may very well win the Dist. this year. It doesn't matter if we don't win the District. Why the name calling? That's uncalled for!!! Can't I post on here who I root for? Isn't that what this board is for?Go WARRIORETTES!!!angry: :)B)

P.S. White Co. has dominated this District since they came into it in 1983 including 9 titles in a row 1989-1997. So listen up Bud.

Edited by 85warrior

I believe Tennessee is the premier state for girls basketball. This is why!

1) For right now we have the number one program in the country, Shelbyville.

2) The competition in Tennessee is so tough that the number one team in the country lost twice before the new year.

3) Tennessee teams travel all over the country to compete in the top level tournaments. Cleveland @ Pinkerington, Shelbyville and Oak Ridge @ TOC Great teams also come to Tennessee. the Nationsbank Tournament in Greenville draws great teams from all over!

4) The top college team is located in Knoxville with the greatest female coach in the history of the game. (A little bias)

5) Tennessee has some of the best high school coaches also. examples- Insell @ Shelbyville, Harlow @ Bradley, Burkey @ Greenville, Rogers @ Clarkrange, and many many more

Why or why not do you think this is the premier state?

Shelbyville does not have the #1 program in the country. Oregon City, Christ the King, and of others have better programs. They have lost 3 times already because they were obviously WAY overrated by USA Today.

You are almost as bad as 90. Do you see a game outside your county line? Oregon City, Christ the King, they have no where near the teams they had 10 years ago. Wake up and smell the hoops.