Blu Cross Bowl Observations

tackle

While I know that the spread offense has been called the offense of the future, this year's state championships were dominated by teams that play smash mouth football.

Huntingdon lined up and ran it, Knoxville Fulton was a big, physical team, Hillsboro and Germontown both ran the ball well.

While I know that some teams must use the spread to be competitive with teams that are physically superior, a big, physical team may have an advantage in making a playoff run. The odds are that during the playoffs, you will have one or more games when conditions are not going to be suitable for throwing it around (extreme cold, rain, sleet, snow...). On those nights, you better be able to control the line and run the ball.

I found it refreshing that in an era where parents, students, and fans are screaming to throw the ball every play that at least 4 of the champions this weekend ran the ball, ran the ball, and ran the ball some more. Maybe all the fans who "know" some much about football could realize that a coach who decides to commit to running the football and playing great defense may be putting his team in the best situation to win.

congrats to all the state champs.

The recipe for success in the game of football really hasn't changed since the first game was played. When a team can run the football with success and stop the other team's running game, they WILL win. It really doesn't matter what level of football you are talking about, whether little league or Bill Parcel's and the Cowboy's that is as simple as it gets.