coaching

jordan4

SOME OF THE MIDDLE SCOOL DO NOT TEACH THE BASIC OF BBALL. THEY ARE JUST TRING TO WIN A GAME! BUT LOSE THE WAR! THE PROBLEM IS THAT SOME COACH ARE TEACHER NOT BBALL COACH'S. THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT IT TAKE TO GO TO THE NEXT LEVE. AS A PARENT I HAVE TO TEACH MY CHILDREN THE BASIC, BECAUSE IT'S NOT DONE IN SOME MIDDLE SCHOOL OR EARIER. IF NOT FOR SOME OF THE AAU COACHING @10,11,&12 ES WHERE WOULD SOME OF BBALL PLAYER BE? :angry:

Edited by godsent5

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RHS02-

Sounds like you must be trying to coach. Officials work just as hard, at least the good ones. I'm glad to see the coaches coaching on Mon, Wed & Thurs. The officials are working on those days too, plus Saturdays, then go to meetings on Sundays. Then it's Monday all over. But, you're right, they don't get paid as much and do not have a supplement on the line. If they don't do good, they don't work. Not sure I want to do that.

godsent,

you are absolutely right, in middle school, coaches are out to win a game. they often neglect the players that could really perform well with a little coaching, just to put all the pressure on one or two naturally talented "all-stars". however at soddy the coaching isnt getting worse its always been terrible

godsent5....amen, I second everything he said

who the heck cares who wins a middle school game? unfortunately alot of middle school coaches (thoese games are just battles)

the war comes when they get to high school, and all they know how to play is a soft lazy 2-3 zone because thats how you 'win' middle school games...they get to high school and say, "what is man-to-man defense?" they are told to just shoot the ball if they are in doubt, no matter if its a good shot or not, because otherwise they might turn it over and at least a some crazy bad shot attempt has a chance of going in...does that make any sense? no...

not all middle school coaches do this, obviously, but it is a large percentage

Godsent, you must not have had any of those coaches who were just teachers (English teachers especially) by the looks of your post. It is very hard to read. Lose the all-caps.

I agree that some middle school coaches are guilty of what you said, and I realize that not many people care if a middle school wins, but as a coach at any level your goal has to be to win. It should not be at the expense of all players, but as soon as any team, even middle school starts losing just watch how many people start wanting to fire the coach. Many of your good high school coaches got their start at the middle school level. Also it is becoming hard to find people to coach high school sports because of how things have become with parents complaining all the time. How do you expect to get quality coaches in middle school when the pay is not even enough to cover gas mileage. You mentioned AAU. Do you thing the goal should be to win in AAU?

TO SAY REFS WORK AS HARD AS A COACH IS REDICULOUS AND UNEDUCATED.

WHEN YOU ARE A SUCCESSFUL BALL COACH YOE SPEND AND HOUR A DAY OR MORE PREPAREING FOR PRACTICE, A 2 - 3 HOUR PRACTICE, OBSERVE THOUGHTS AFTERWOARDS FOR 30 MINUTES. THEN GO AND SCOUT A TEAM YOU ARE PLAYING. THEN GO HOME EAT A REHEATED MEAL AND FALL A SLEEP WATCHING GAME TAPES, THE NEXT DAY STARTS ALL OVER. THE ONLY NIGHT OFF THEY GET IS SUNDAY, AND BALL GAMES. REFS DONT GO THROUGH NEAR AS MUCH.

I DO RESPECT REFS AND WHAT THEY HAVE TO PUT UP WITH, BUT GIVE ME A BREAK IF YOU THINK YOU WORK AS HARD. OH YEAH, FOR THE SUMMER CAMPS. REFS ARE REQUIRED TO WORK 1-2 SUMMERCAMPS A YEAR. COACHES GOTO 2-3 CAMPS, PLUS MULTIPLY WEEKS OF PRACTICE, THEN SUMMER WORKOUTS. THE ONLY TIME OFF IS DEAD WEEKS IN JULY...

WHY DO COACHES DO ALL OF THIS, BECAUSE THEY CARE AND LOVE FOR THEIR BOYS, AND THE GAME OF BASKETBALL. REMEMBER COACHES HAVE COLLEGE EDUCATIONS AND CAN MAKE MUCH MORE MONEY IN THE BUISINESS WORLD, BUT THAT ISNT WHAT THEY LOVE...

ALSO, FOR OLD SCHOOL COACHES, YOU CANT BE HARD ON THESE KIDS TODAY LIKE YOU USED TOO. IT HAS CHANGED MORE IN THE LAST 5 YEARS THEN EVER. EVERYBODY WANTS LITTLE JOHNNY TO GOTO THE NBA, BUT LITTLE JOHNNY HAS A BAD ATTITUDE AND WILL SUE A COACH IF DOESNT GET WHAT HE WANTS. NOT ALL PLAYERS AND PARENTS ARE LIKE THIS, BUT EACH TEAM HAS A FEW ATLEAST....

Edited by mcneeley06

SOME OF THE MIDDLE SCOOL DO NOT TEACH THE BASIC OF BBALL. THEY ARE JUST TRING TO WIN A GAME! BUT LOSE THE WAR! THE PROBLEM IS THAT SOME COACH ARE TEACHER NOT BBALL COACH'S. THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT IT TAKE  TO GO TO THE NEXT LEVE. AS A PARENT I HAVE TO TEACH MY CHILDREN THE BASIC, BECAUSE IT'S NOT DONE IN SOME MIDDLE SCHOOL OR EARIER. IF NOT FOR SOME OF THE AAU COACHING @10,11,&12 ES WHERE WOULD SOME OF BBALL PLAYER BE? ;) 

Guess you spent too much time on the playground and not enough time in class. How can you comment on middle school teachers/coaches when it is obvious from your post that you never reached middle school. Is the English language a foreign concept to you?

TO SAY REFS WORK AS HARD AS A COACH IS REDICULOUS AND UNEDUCATED.

WHEN YOU ARE A SUCCESSFUL BALL COACH YOE SPEND AND HOUR A DAY OR MORE PREPAREING FOR PRACTICE, A 2 - 3 HOUR PRACTICE, OBSERVE THOUGHTS AFTERWOARDS FOR 30 MINUTES. THEN GO AND SCOUT A TEAM YOU ARE PLAYING. THEN GO HOME EAT A REHEATED MEAL AND FALL A SLEEP WATCHING GAME TAPES, THE NEXT DAY STARTS ALL OVER. THE ONLY NIGHT OFF THEY GET IS SUNDAY, AND BALL GAMES. REFS DONT GO THROUGH NEAR AS MUCH.

I DO RESPECT REFS AND WHAT THEY HAVE TO PUT UP WITH, BUT GIVE ME A BREAK IF YOU THINK YOU WORK AS HARD. OH YEAH, FOR THE SUMMER CAMPS. REFS ARE REQUIRED TO WORK 1-2 SUMMERCAMPS A YEAR. COACHES GOTO 2-3 CAMPS, PLUS MULTIPLY WEEKS OF PRACTICE, THEN SUMMER WORKOUTS. THE ONLY TIME OFF IS DEAD WEEKS IN JULY...

WHY DO COACHES DO ALL OF THIS, BECAUSE THEY CARE AND LOVE FOR THEIR BOYS, AND THE GAME OF BASKETBALL. REMEMBER COACHES HAVE COLLEGE EDUCATIONS AND CAN MAKE MUCH MORE MONEY IN THE BUISINESS WORLD, BUT THAT ISNT WHAT THEY LOVE...

ALSO, FOR OLD SCHOOL COACHES, YOU CANT BE HARD ON THESE KIDS TODAY LIKE YOU USED TOO. IT HAS CHANGED MORE IN THE LAST 5 YEARS THEN EVER. EVERYBODY WANTS LITTLE JOHNNY TO GOTO THE NBA, BUT LITTLE JOHNNY HAS A BAD ATTITUDE AND WILL SUE A COACH IF DOESNT GET WHAT HE WANTS. NOT ALL PLAYERS AND PARENTS ARE LIKE THIS, BUT EACH TEAM HAS A FEW ATLEAST....

mcneeley, You said it perfectly! Coaches put tons of time and hard work into their daily and life schedules. I know their families are even agitated at times because all they do is live basketball, but they do it because they LOVE THE GAME AND LOVE THEIR PLAYERS! Sure we could make a lot more money with another degree, but we all love what we do and would not change a thing!

alzado,

Actually, I have a degree in Engineering, not in English, and for your information, I did spend a little time at the playgroung, the gym, the weight room....must I go on.

If you want to comment futher on foreign languages, how many do you know. Or better yet, have you ever lived in any foreign countries? I know I have. Basketball is probably a foreign language to you. ;)

Edited by godsent5