Carter County officiating

THE KING

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but to me the officiating in Carter County gets worse every year. Last night at the Hampton/Cloudland game, they stuck it to both teams. Calling senseless fouls, walks that were not walks, and not calling walks that were walks. Repeated double dribbles and carrying the ball. Calling no-contact fouls and then letting close-lines go uncalled. I know every official makes a bad call every now and then, but this was ridiculous. Part of it is the officials are so fat they can't run up and down the court to make the right call :rolleyes: surely they can't be that unlearned of the game of basketball? What do you fellow Carter countians think :o

Yeah King, I was at the Hampton/Cloudland game and they called carrying on a girl from Hampton and she does it all the time and any ref could call it but I don't understand if their gonna call it why not call it every time, and in the boys game it wasn't one-sided officiating or anything their calls just didn't seem right or make sense.

That is a very interesting point. I know that when I have watched games in the past some officials will call fouls on a team just to slow down the game. A lot of the officials in the games these days are very overweight and aren't able to keep up. I think there should be a system to hold officials accountable. It is definitely a disadvantage to teams that use a running, up-tempo style when officials try their best to slow down the tempo just so they can keep up. What should we do about this problem??? Who do we complain to???

You complain to the TSSAA in Lebanon, TN. The have a web site. Really what would help the most is getting you officials out of the stands and into the class room, like the ones that call the games do, and let you straighten out the officiating mess. There is no perfection and some officials are most definately better than others, but to be honest, the refs available are very "slim". There are not very many and they do need more numbers. Having so few causes some to get into "higher games" that they are not ready for. To help, just sign up for next year and go to classes every Sunday afternoon like the rest of the officials do. I'm sure you guys would solve the problem! :justwrestle:

well lets look at cc officials..most of the officals in carter county are elementary refs. most of the high school ref are from JC or Kingsport... In Car. Co. you have the Pierce boys who called the first games on the ark. Then you have peg leg Hodge, who gave up running in the mid 70's.. Peters, who I am not sure is still refering, does a fair job but has to many playing to ref... One recently had a heart attack, so i guess he's finished at least for a while, and Hardin who helped coach at Unaka a couple of years ago has knee surgery about every other year. This is all of the CC officials i know, I don;t see them at high school games much, but everyone knows the good officials are at kingsport and johnson city.. CC and Johnson County gets the pits.. Single A has always suffered... And if you watch the officials, they never call against Charlie at HV, Mr. Burns at Bristol. or K-Town or Johnson City. One thing is for sure if i was a ref I would want to call at Unaka, Cloudland, Hampton the smalled gyms because the crowd is always great.. at the big nine schools, they draw no fans. thanks the one and only Creeker 67