FATHER RYAN XMAS TOURNEY!

jmoney4eva

"Conservative" people kill me when they berate others who show emotions on the field of play. I saw no problem seeing Eric getting hyped about finally settling into his game. I neither saw him talk or make any gestures towards any B.A. player. I think both teams played with good sportsmanship. Don't start some B.S. for no reason Segarat42

jek, you are speaking of a young man that has a right to express himself. Just as we, as adults, disagree on here about wether or not teams on DII level could win championships on the DI level, young folks can have the same argument. As adults and human beings we need to learn to disagree and not demean. That's the way Eric felt so accept it. Eric needs to understand that Brandon has to play whoever is put in front of him. Brandon can't let these types of arguements get to him because he has something that can't be taken away from him, a championship ring.

I commend both teams on giving themselves and us, the FANS, a truly memorable game.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jek, you are speaking of a young man that has a right to express himself. Just as we, as adults, disagree on here about wether or not teams on DII level could win championships on the DI level, young folks can have the same argument. As adults and human beings we need to learn to disagree and not demean. That's the way Eric felt so accept it. Eric needs to understand that Brandon has to play whoever is put in front of him. Brandon can't let these types of arguements get to him because he has something that can't be taken away from him, a championship ring.

Huh? Did you actually read my post. The intent was to point to the reference that Wesvols seemed to find objectionable (for the benefit of the previous post). Mr. Orr has every right to his opinion regarding DII. My point was to highlight the fact

that last year's BA team was one of the top teams in state regardless of classification. As to the rest of your post, I don't quite understand your point.

How do you determine an intent to demean Eric Orr from my post.

My thoughts for today's games:

1)at, I have nothing against Eric Orr -- he has every right to express himself how he chooses, but could afford to learn that even the slightest insult towards a person, team, or classification is magnified when placed in the newspaper. "Little Division II" is not little at all, but that's beside the point. My hope is simply that he is big enough to face the consequences of his boldness. By the way, he played very well tonight with 19 points against Oakland.

2)Jamont Gordon was SENSATIONAL tonight with 36 points. He held the crowd in the palms of his rather large hands, but unfortunately held his coach in a similar state of submission, at one point asking the man to tie his shoes because he didn't want to bend forward. He also remained completely inactive during several offensive series, standing just inside the timeline and watching his teammates grapple with a one man disadvantage. Still, these flaws fail to severely detract from what was truly an electrifying performance.

3)Stratford was one-dimensional, but that one dimension sure was pretty darn good! Henry Harris and Eric Orr combined to score 32 of the Spartans' 34 first-half points, outscoring the entire Oakland team in the first two stanzas. Harris put in 21 while Orr scored 11. The duo didn't disappoint in the second half either, as Harris finished with 29 and Orr with 19. Their performance tomorrow will be instrumental against a multi-faceted Glencliff arsenal led by Jamont Gordon, a man with legendary potential.

4)Brentwood Academy still didn't amaze me today despite their substantial margin of victory, 94-69 over an outmatched Columbia squad. The Eagles led 39-36 at the half and escalated their scoring pace in the second portion of the game as they began to hit shots. Once their shooting warms up, they will dominate. Until then, they are very beatable. Brandon Wright was a little off early in the game, but like the rest of the Eagles, found his game and didn't relinquish his intensity. I was also pleased to see some BA players hanging out with Stratford guys during the Glencliff-Blackman game. After such an intense contest between the two saturday night, it was refreshing to see their cordiality and sportsmanship off the court. Knowing these guys, though, it certainly wasn't surprising.

5)Blackman's David Price probably has quite a touch from beyond the arc, but he didn't show it tonight despite attempting approximately 15 three-pointers. He made 3 early and looked to be on fire, but quickly shot himself out of his streak by firing a rainbow almost every time he touched the ball. He's a good player whose demeanor reminds me of Tayshaun Prince's, but could stand to drive into the lane and see what awaits him there. It was difficult to do so tonight, though, with the formidable presence of Jamont Gordon serving as sentinel of the lane.

6)Father Ryan doesn't have any all-stars on their team, but thanks to Coach Bonrager they will rarely be blown out this season. Tonight they defeated a more athletic, physical Hillsboro team by passing quickly and playing scrappy defense. With crisper shooting they will be a force in Division II, where athletes don't abound but fundamentally-sound players thrive. Tomorrow's game against BA has barnburner potential if the Eagles shoot as poorly as they did today.

Predictions for tomorrow:

7th-place game: Hillsboro 64, Columbia 59

5th-place game: Brentwood Academy 81, Father Ryan 69

3rd-place game: Blackman 73, Oakland 70

Championship: Glencliff 76, Stratford 72

Championship: Glencliff 76, Stratford 72

WesVols, Man I was with you totally until the end. One man will not beat a team! Harris vs. Gordon, I'd take Harris "8 days a week". But this is Stratford vs. Glencliff. The thing is, Henry Harris will utilize his teammates and defeat Glencliff, AGAIN! Jamont will blow up, show his immaturity, and forget he has teammates, AGAIN! My prediction. B)

Excellent synopsis and near perfect predictions WesVols. :)

Otis, I hear ya, and to be honest with you I had the two teams switched and changed my pick at the last second. Your reasoning is perfectly sound. I was just more impressed with what Glencliff could do without Gordon than I was Stratford without Harris. Glencliff has a better supporting staff in my opinion, though both teams are very good. It'll come down to the wire. :)

I'm leaving town for Georgia tomorrow, but I wish I could be there!