The Slam

delaWarr

Years ago there was a coach who was fortunate enough to have a wrestler who was on a level by himself in his weight class. In discussing the upcoming State, the coach reviewed his wrestler on the circumstance, that nobody could beat him on the mat, but, coach cautioned, he could beat himself. One lift could end his quest for the gold. Even though the wrestler could perform his lifts well, with efficiency and precision, there was no guarantee that the opponent would behave in an absolute, predictible manner. The wrestler went on to reach his goal without applying that particular tool of his trade.

Did the coach dislike lifts? Not at all. Lifts most often are crowd pleasers. They can be effective both in scoring big points and in intimidating and demoralizing an opponent. But the coach had seen his share of lifts gone bad. His wrestler had enough tools in his kit to get the job done without resorting to the risk of a good move gone wrong, not necessarily from some action on his part, but from the reaction on the part of the opponent.

If an opponent is lifted off the mat, then it is the absolute responsibility of the lifter to return the opponent to the mat in a prescribed, safe manner, no ifs, no buts.

Risk management is a part of every match, high risk moves, low risk moves. Each wrestler has to decide the level he is willing to risk under given circumstances. Each coach has to help his wrestler learn to assess which levels of risk to apply under those circumstances. So it is with the lift. Is the risk associated with the lift in a dual match with the neighborhood school during mid-season the same as the risk in a quest for the Gold at the State Tournament?

Edited by delaWarr

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "risk" you talk about obviously would cost you more at the state, or even the regional level, as the regions are a progression onto the ultimate goal.

I dont think in your post you intended that wrestlers lift opponents in order to crowd please. A coach would certainly come down very hard on such an action because 1. It gives you no more points for style (as in freestyle) 2. The possibility of injury to an opponent that could disqualify him, therefore lose points for his team.

Wrestlers lift opponents in order to return them to the mat. The better the lift (higher) the safer it is for the advantage wrestler to maintain control once on the mat. Here is the tradeoff, how much force to ensure my control verses too much force to risk disqualification. The answer is enough force, not a very good answer. As a wrestler, my first concern isnt for the safety of my opponent, nor should it be.

A slam is a slam is a slam. Preseason, mid season, state tourney. It can happen from up on the mat or down on the mat. Bringing an opponent to the mat with undue force constitutes a slam. That makes it subjective. As officials, we attempt to prevent injury, that is the #1 job of a wrestling official. I have allowed a wrestler to take his opponent to the mat from standing with a half nelson in place. Another time have allowed a wrestler to cradle his opponent while standing, holding him off the mat. Why? Both times the wrestler in advantage demonstrated his control of his opponent and willingness to bring him to the mat almost genteel. These are rare occurances.

I dont think I answered you exactly, but I typed to much not to let this post go forward.

I think your point is all about coaching.

reftn

Every wrestler, lightweight and heavyweight, knows the chances they take when they do a throw, a lift, or a slam. Its their choice to do the move, rarely the coachs. I do alot more throws then shots, and ive yet to get injured on a throw. Ive only blown out my knee once, and that was from a single leg shot. If we don't have enough confidence to do the move, then we don't do it. Its that simple. Your saying that we shouldn't do throws or lifts cause we will hurt ourselves? Its our choice to do them, and if we get hurt, its our fault.

reftn,

This is discussed in the case book everytime it is sent out. The problem is that coaches do not receive the case book. Only registered officials receive it.

delaWarr,

I've seen the situation you are talking about happen in a match. I officiated a match between a solid wrestler vs a first year wrestler. The solid wrestler lifted his opponenet, the opponent panicked and began kicking and flailing, he slipped out of the arms of his opponent and came crashing down to the mat. I immediately called a slam. With little prior experience, he didn't know how to fall correctly and was injured. Due to the slam call, the match was awarded to the injured athlete. The coach complained about the actions of the beginner wrestler causing the fall. I then showed him in the case book about the same exact situation.

There is a tournament at the start of the season in Chattanooga every year.BUT it seems to always have someone hurt bad and it seems the same ref's every time. I have seen a big slam my oldest junior or senior year and the kid was carried out with a neck brace and on a board. NO call! I know kids get hurt mine have but let keep it safe as possible.Broke fingers,foot,cut that need stitches,shoulder stain.They've had it all.But they would not trade the times on the mat for nothing. gator bait!!!!!!

One thing that refs, coaches, wrestlers, and fans should understand is that there is a difference between a "hard" takedown or throw and a slam. Just because the crowd goes "Oaaaa"! or the kid thumps when he hits the ground, or the coach jumps up out of his chair, does not constitute a slam. In my opinion, as a second year ref and former coach and wrestler, if the opponent is taken to the mat, and is controlled by the offensive wrestler, and lands in a "safe" manner (not on his head), then there should be no slam called, eventhough, the opponent was taken down with force. Its a very judgemental call that will keep our sport interesting nonetheless. I have discussed this with veteran officials. They have told me that if you think its is illegal or you are second guessing your own instinct, then make the call.

I like what kevin said. He makes a good point about as long as they land in a safe position. Plus slams make wrestling so much more of a thrill and more entertaining for the audience, and we all know we need as many spectators as we can get for wrestling. When i was younger thats all i would do cause i was pretty strong for my age and after i picked up those little kids they would fear me for the whole match. Even though i dont use slams much anymore i still think they are a great part of the sport.

Slams are not a great part of the sport. That is, in part, what this thread is about. They are illegal in the sport. They put the opponent's safety at risk. The best officials down through the years have always put a high priority on the safety of the wrestlers during competition. And, as was stated in the first post in the thread, a slam can put the wrestler who is guilty of the slam in danger of losing the match.

I agree, slams are a dangerous part of the sport. I find myself, as an official, being more strict about the call in the middle school matches. I usually will not call a slam in a high school match, unless the offensieve wrestler uses force and takes his opponent down with the intent of malice and harm. You usually don't see a slam between two good wrestlers who respect the sport and each other. The slams usually come from a beginner wrestler or a match of two wrestlers who hate each other. I believe its the coach's responsibilty to coach his team on the rules and the official's job to enforce them. Remember, the refs are their for the safety of BOTH wrestlers.

I can not believe you said you do NOT call it in high school Kevin.That is when it is the most dangerous.The kids are stronger and know how to make a hard slam look legal. You attitude is the problem a lot of refs have it too. There was a kid at bradley that used the slam way to much and it cost him a shoot at a state title because he got use to it. He crossed the line and I think he would have not if refs would have blowed the whistle a few times. Kids go as far as they can get away with.I know all of mine did.There is strong and tuff wrestling and that should be enough. I use to like to drive the kid into the mat to daze them for a few seconds and there were time it was legal and times it was not. The coaches never said to me or my sons do not do it.It is because they want to win and the win is all that counts on the score board. If just one coach would have said one thing about it to me or my boys if would not been used as much. I did with my middle kid start to say HEY do not do it as much. You know that kid was at state all 4 years and thought he might win a title. I say let SAFETY comes first.

Hey fireplug, read my post again. I said I don't USUALLY call the slam in high school. I do call it, just not as often, because, like i said, you don't see it as much in a high school match where the two wrestlers are experienced. I've been around wrestling for more than 15 years. I've wrestled all over the country and I have coached for 6 years before I started officiating. I know what a slam is. The problem with this call is that it is so subjective. There is no black and white definition of a slam. What I see as a slam may be different from what you see as a slam. Thats the problem with the rule. Truthfully, there is nothing that can be done except let the refs do their jobs. If there was no rule addressing the situation, we would see a lot more serious injuries that now. Bottom line...the coaches need to coach their wrestlers on the rules, and the refs need to enforce those rules..