GCHS Support (or lack thereof)

wneely

It continues to amaze me how some of these schools with nowhere near the talent level of Giles County (Sycamore namely - no offense guys) support their team more than Giles County.

The administration at our school is so crooked, they are all out just to make as much money as possible of the boys and girls of our school. Not only do they not sell tickets for half price to students. (Some students get in half off for their Excel cards), but AFTER you have paid your 5 dollars, if you attend Giles County you are bossed around and told you can't sit in certain places (the front row), when parents who paid the same money can stand up and do as they please on the front row.

I understand our gym is small and has size constraints, but that is no excuse not to show some real support and get behind our students. The players love the student section and Coach Holt whole heartedly encourages our students to get loud and rowdy.

I wear a hard hat and a cape to the game and at any other school I'm accepted and encouraged to show that kind of support. But at GCHS I'm looked down upon my the teachers and staff.

In a real bandwagoner town, most of the people aren't even showing support at the games for the defending class AA state champs. They make a little noise, but people just don't realize that a deafening crowd can intimidate a team, coaches, and I've seen first hand - officials. Go to east TN at schools like Bradley and Cleveland (sorry Bradley fans, I had to mention them) and you will find the dedicated and energized support that is needed to thrust a average team into the ranks of a great team.

So administration, please just rope off a student section or encourage support a wee bit more. I know half of the teachers get on here and browse CoachT during the day anyway. You're probably reading this thread during 3rd period while your class is doing as they please. Stop worrying about CoachT and where Tyler Smith is ranked on NBADraft.net (oh yeah it's #1 by the way), and teach our youth a thing or two. Stop being so heck bound on making sure we don't have any fun when we are in the best years of our lives!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear a hard hat and a cape to the game and at any other school I'm accepted and encouraged to show that kind of support. But at GCHS I'm looked down upon my the teachers and staff.

Hard hat and a cape?

Would you say you look more like Superman, Batman, or Zorro working a construction job?

Well, its a yellow hard hat - so GCHS colors (even though I put the Michigan wings on it with electrical tape), and the cape is a Zorro cape I had for Halloween one year. Maybe I should go to Duke so I can be a Cameron Crazy.

I just live and breathe sports, forgive me for showing a little enthusiasm and being a die -hard fan.

Hey game, you sure Clemson isn't playing for a split national title instead of USC? ;)

Michigan will be back in a big way next year, no doubt.

The administration at our school is so crooked, they are all out just to make as much money as possible of the boys and girls of our school. Not only do they not sell tickets for half price to students.

At Bartlett, we never got a student discount, and I'm not aware of anyplace in the Memphis area that does.

The student discount thing doesn't really bother me, its just the overall lack of enthusiasm and desire to acheive success in sports @ our school by our administration. If our team went 0-32 last year no one would give a hoot what we did, but because we won a State Championship (and it's about time), they act like we are some big shots who have to adhere to a strict code of conduct, which last year was widely encouraged and loved by the members of the community and administrators.

Sure, some of our chants are rude. Get over it. Once the game is over we don't hold any kind of grudges or bad attitudes. I love talking hoops with other teams fans. People just need to realize that taunting and teasing is commonplace at these basketball games. It just so happens that at some schools its more than 1 student saying the same thing and it's easily heard.

It bothers me because I feel that even if we cancelled out the rude cheers (and our rudest cheer is You You You sit down - thats not rude to me), our school and staff would still try and place a damper on our loud and excessive Bobcat pride.

by the way Game - any word on if Jim Bob will start for UT next year? I hear little Clausen wants to come play. Michigan signed Chad Henne, the #3 QB prospect in the country out of Pennsylvania. With Braylon, Breaston and Avant returning, I look for Michigan to air it out a bit more next year.

Who gets the money from the gate at high school sporting events? Is it the sport that is playing or the school example does the basketball program get the money for basketball games and the football program get the money from football games? Or does the school get the money and divide it to all the sports programs? If the school gets the money that may be why they don't sell student discount tickets.

If I am not mistaken, ticket prices have went up in the last couple of years from $4 to $5...maybe because of Tyler??? With that point being made, why could they not cut students some slack...maybe sell them tickets for $4. After all, last year proved that a strong student section and strong fan support can encourage the guys and girls on the floor to play with a higher level of intensity...someone needs to open their eyes to something other than the color of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats all for now.

Like I said, they aren't even worried about winning or losing in any sport at GCHS, otherwise they would go out and try and hire some decent coaches. They would rather just have a so so team but make a lot of money than a state championship team. I guess that's why Giles Co. only has 11 state championships in any sport. Most of which are in softball. William McElroy won two track championships in 1980, but after that the boys at GCHS had not won a state title until last year's basketball team.

Softball - 1979, 1980, 1981, 2001

Boys Hoops - 2003

Girls Hoops - 1981, 1982

Girls Golf - Susan Lanier in 1996 was individual champ.

Girls Track - Sheila Frost - Shot Put Champ 1982

And the forementioned Mr. McElroy won the 100 yd and 220 yd dash in 1980.

Credit TSSAA.org for all of the information.