Goodpasture players / fans... A ?

fcpress

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an ugly game, for sure. We made a LOT of mistakes. We were actually up by 11 late and their 3 pointers killed us. They have more than one solid player, so give no one man the credit, as so often happens. We beat them this summer at Gallatin tournament by not a lot and at their home court earlier this year. They, for some reason, would not put the score in the paper when they lost at home, although their girls got pounded by our girls and they were gracious enough to put that score in. (That happens to be one of my pet peeves, because the kids deserve their recognition, especially those who rarely do score, which was the case that night, so it aggravated me.) Anyway, they are a team to be respected, not overlooked. However, it does seem kind of odd that that many good players just happen to go to that little bitty school all of the sudden. Any thoughts on that?

As a Gallatin resident and member of the church that they are affiliated by I attend maybe 8-10 games a year. Last year they were a little stronger than this year (24-7) its just that they did not play any TSSAA teams except for Hermitage Springs so I guess they are somewhat unknown to the TSSAA community. They have actually had decent teams since I have followed them. The year before last they beat Nashville christian by 22 at CH and 11 at NC. They scrimmaged Friendship in Jason Peircy's last season and beat them pretty bad as well.

That said - they have averaged over 20 wins a season in the last 4 years so I guess they have always had decent players. Two of their players from 2 years ago each play at Trevecca and Tennessee Temple University.

Does that help?

FCP

20 plus wins is nice, but who were they playing overall during that time? I can honestly tell you they ARE a good team, as I indicated before. If you have been listening to the word on the street, however, there is much talk about "recruiting" at your school, as there has been at ours, I am sure. Four of our five starters grew up at Goodpasture, and I mean all the way through. I'm just telling you that from talk at MANY schools, people are questioning some things that are going on at CH. It won't change anything, and it doesn't effect me one way or the other. I'm just always for the kids. If there are kids who have grown up at your school and don't get to play ball because new guys are being brought in to create something, I just hate that for those kids. Just as I said I hate the kids not getting their name in the paper when they work so hard. I meant that for your team, as well. Your kids deserved that "momento" and the lesson of losing graciously in a hard fought game more than the coach needed to prove his point, or whatever it was, by not putting the score in. I'm just a mom and a soft-heart, so take any of my comments in that regard. Never meant to hurt any feelings. I'm just telling you what I'm hearing and giving my opinion, for what little it is worth.

20 plus wins is nice, but who were they playing overall during that time? If you have been listening to the word on the street, however, there is much talk about "recruiting" at your school. I'm just telling you that from talk at MANY schools, people are questioning some things that are going on at CH. If there are kids who have grown up at your school and don't get to play ball because new guys are being brought in to create something, I just hate that for those kids.

1. As far as who they have played that may be looked at as credible: 3 years ago they played DCA and lost by 11 (they had a 7 footer that year) in a very competitive game. In that same year (3 yrs ago) they beat Nashville Christian by over 20 and 10 points in two games. They have beat Hermitage Springs badly for the last 4 years, and they beat Lighthouse 2 years ago by over 20 points at Lighthouse (okay maybe that's not a good one to throw in there). The other one I can recall is Friendship who they beat soundly in a scrimmage 2 yrs ago.

2. As far as the "word on the street" I find that one very interesting since schools in the TSSAA (not naming names) have called College Heights kids and tried to recruit them to their schools. I know for a fact that College heights baseball and JV football team were hit hard by some of the great recruiters that some of the local and public TSSAA members have. I think there may be a little double standard in this regard.

3. As far as kids not being able to play because of other kids "taking their spots"... there is not a single athlete at College Heights that has been cut or put of a team because everyone that trys out makes the team. They have had cuts with the softball team but that just happend this year for the first time.

4. I don't know where you are getting your info- but it may be with folks that have an axe to grind. Some of those "sources" may be a former CHCA parent that left to go to your school (I know her and her propensity for unfounded gossip- she has quite a rep at chca)because their child was frankly not athletic enough to play sports at CHCA or anywhere else for that matter. Bottom line- I think your sources know not of what they speak yet speak like they know.

5. I think it is laughable that people really have "conspiracy theories" about a team that is 8-6. If CHCA was getting blown out, NOBODY would care. Because they have beat a CPA and Ezell and competed in a couple of other TSSAA games its all "because they are recruiting". Give a little credit to the "kids" on those teams - since you are "all about the kids".

The "mom" is correct. CH IS (definitely!) TSSAA material. But, Lazarus isn't playin' anymore, or so it seems, and he is the missing link to a GREAT team. What's up with that situation? Anyway, I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with hoopsmom21. As for it being an "ugly" game, HUM? When a player (and I mean a PLAYER!) hits 8-of-8 from 3-point land, that's a killer!! He was unconscious...and in front of Mr. Lebo from UT-C, no less. Regardless, there's no doubt the good players on that team have been recruited or whatever. Case-in-point: Lazarus. From Louisiana, but lives with the Coach? Come on! Still, good team. No system and some attitudes, but, overall, a good team. Wish 'em nothing but success. Go Cougars!

I did give credit to the kids in two posts...reread them - more than one solid player...they are to be respected...they ARE good... You are starting to get very defensive and sound a little angry. You asked a question, I gave an opinion, and I shouldn't have added the other comments about recruiting. It lead to unnecessary stuff. Your team is lucky to have you as one of their fans, and I know you are all proud of them as kids and as a team. I am sure that it's great for your school, just as our school provides great times and memories for our kids through all these games. Truly, I meant no harm. I know that people talk about Goodpasture all the time, as well, and we've been the source of more talk than CH has ever dreamed of. You are welcome to have the last word, because I had no intention to start an argument or any bantering back and forth. It was very obvious that your team works very hard in practice by the game they gave us. Our district is very competitive, and on any given night, any of these teams has the ability to beat a great team or to give up an "easy" game with silly mistakes or with overlooking someone.

Case-in-point: Lazarus. From Louisiana, but lives with the Coach? Come on! Still, good team. No system and some attitudes, but, overall, a good team. Wish 'em nothing but success. Go Cougars!

1. Lazarus father is a trucker that moved to Gallatin from Louisiana. He stayed with the coach and other players when his dad was on the road for weeks at a time. He did not play in the first game vs. Goodpasture do to academic reasons and at Christmas break moved back to Louisiana to live with his grandmother. Lazarus is no longer a student at CH.

2. They don't have a "system". ??? Overrated Term. CH runs a multiple defense that mixes zone and man. They will play mostly man. Iwould assume they played a lot of zone vs GP due to size mis-matches. (6'11 and 6'8 on 6'3 and 6'4 tend to dictate schemes) On offense they have always stressed "up-tempo" and getting easy baskets. They run basic motion offenses that include multiple screens and cuts like most every team in America. If they have a player that has hit 8 3's---it may be that their "system" allows for that person to shoot the ball. Just a guess.

3. Goodpasture's "system" is no more complex than CH. They play man to man all the time. They run a high/low game to exploit mis-matches since they have a 6'11 and 6'8 kids. Not rocket science. They must not really have a system.

4. Good luck the rest of the sesaon.

Your team is lucky to have you as one of their fans, and I know you are all proud of them as kids and as a team. I am sure that it's great for your school, just as our school provides great times and memories for our kids through all these games. Truly, I meant no harm. I know that people talk about Goodpasture all the time, as well, and we've been the source of more talk than CH has ever dreamed of.

I am a loyal fan- no one likes to be cast into a mold that has been made by those who are unaware of the truth.

Thank you for the kind words.

Good luck to GP the rest of the way - hopefully to state.

FCP

LOL! Don't let your jealousy show so much. Recruited? Such a flattering word. We go there because we LOVE IT! Nice people, unlike yourself! No good @ 13-3? Yeah, baby! Believe it or not, most are "home grown." And most have known or played sports together 'forever.' And we like each other. Ain't that just like a Tennessee family? Good chemistry is something, well, you wouldn't understand. It's the opposite of dysfunctional. Look it up. It's spelled correctly.

Edited by Cougars2State