Milan Basketball

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only seen them play one game and the rest I know about them is from what other people on this board say so take my opinion how you want it. But from what I hear they are just playing poorly. They don't have the talent they had last year but they have some talent in Adkisson, Dotson, Smith, and #55 (can't remember his name) but from what people have been saying they are just playing poorly.

last nite they started off like they were going to rip lexington apart - then they just fell apart about the end of the 1st period. after a lexington dunk - they just seem to go into tail spin - crowd was completely out of it - i have watch them play for a couple of years and i think you are right - they don't have the same talent or height --- but they do seem to have some quickness - they stole the ball several times but didn't finish at the other end - shot alot of 3's and struggled big time

Edited by cantshootafreethrowwhoami?

For the last 2 years Milan has had the best basketball players and teams they will have in a long time to come. This year the team is filled with athletes, a couple of players, but several good athletes. Nothing was accomplished with the talent before and it is not being accomplished now. Milan's talent level goes on a downward trend from here. No attempt to build a program from the ground up has been made.

The knowledge of the game is what is lacking this year. What to do in situations. There is no true point guard type leader to establish control on the floor. Henry has established himself as the leader, but then he does something like missing dunks, instead of taking a layup, getting frustration fouls and ending up on the bench. Marlon, and Hutkins have not got the minds. They play on emotion and momentum. Rod has the mind but does not have control of the others and is being forced to play out of position. Strickland is a shooter and that is about it.

i agree sls

Some good athletes, but not very smooth on skills. Players over the past 2 years have been very good and played team ball. I think this team can still play with the tough teams, but they will need to look deep within. I am not sure if 23 wants to be a team player. Tables could turn if they will jell. District tournament is always a new world if you want it to be. Will see!

The mind is where this team is the weakest. To be under control, you must be able to think thru situations on the floor. Sheppard hurt this years team last year. He played 3 seniors last year, that would have been possibly cut on the weakest team in the district. He should have played Dodson, Hutkins, Strickland in their places and they would have gotten the background and experience they needed for this year. It seems some of these players are worried about how many points they score, not wins and losses. Hutkins plays hard and scoring just adds to his emotion, Smith will get his points by working the glass. As for the rest it seems to be bombs away.

Being able to communicate and relate to players no matter their background, personality, etc is the key to getting players to play well and believing in a system. Communication is lacking and the belief is gone, the result backyard basketball.

SLS have you ever thought of coaching. Man you have it down. SLS for coach of the year. Personally the only real problem is they do not have the depth anymore. Last season he could go 10 deep at least. Thus year's team has athletes but not really basketball players. Maybe they will come along. They need to fire Shephard and put in SLS.

Been there done that UTM. If Milan does not have but 7 players and I agree, why is he trying to play 12? As has been said before, he wants to play 10 plus, every year, reguardless of talent, and if it means losing so be it. He always complains to his players about turnovers. I believe if you play your 7 best the t/o would be cut in half, as the chemistry would be there. It is funny that he says a player can not play over 6 min for him at a time wothout getting tired. I see players play for other teams the entire game, not saying they are not tired, just saying they play. Take a look @ DC, SS, UC, Westview, Bolivar, Haywood mostly play 7-8 and 1 or 2 at a time not 5 for 5 subs. No chemistry. How many NBA or college teams sub 5 for 5 even when they are getting pounded.