Too much sportsmanship?

Peerless10

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just me, but I think the basketball in the state would be extremely better if players stopped worrying about being friends and worried more about punishing their opponents. There doesn't seem to be enough hatred between teams like there used to be. Where did all of that go?

Here goes Peerless spreading his good cheer again. Basketball in the State of TN would be better if coaches would take more time to actually studing the game of basketball and teach it to their players. There's more to the game than having kids watch awful NBA games then come to practice and try to imitate them without knowing one bit of fundamentals. I have seen teams, coaches and players, that complain about refs and calling "against them" but they don't know the first step about playing defense, let alone, anything about the game of basketball. In today's world, people look for an excuse to blame something on. Bad coaching leads to bad basketball being played. Then everyone wants to blame the REFS or anybody but themselves. IF you want something to blame bad basketball on, blame it on TV and Video games. Kids would rather stay indoors and watch TV or play video games than go to their Boy's Club or Rec Center to sharpen their skills. Coaches can teach the game, but the players MUST dedicate themselves to developing their game on their own, which many do not. Whether I like someone or not has no bearing on MY DESIRE TO WIN. I have made some of the best friends for life on the court, but during the game, we were at each other's throats. So, it's the time not being put in by today's kids.

Peerless and dirtyowlman, I just hope that you two are students/kids and not adults. If you are coaches, then I really feel sorry for your players.

Sports should teach lessons these athletes can actually use in life. And true living means treating others the way you want to be treated, even in competition. Sportsmanship should always be our goal, and it doesn't have to be exclusive of being a great athlete.

A.) No. There can never be enough sportsmanship or class for that matter.

B.) The team you play is NOT the enemy. Too many people use terms that are used in war. It's only a game.

A healthy rivalry is what people should strive for. You may not like the team you're playing, but the respect should be mutual.

Sheesh...too much sportsmanship??? PUH-LEEEZE!!!

I'm new around here; been lurking and finally decided to join, so I figured this would be a good spot to jump in with my first post and my 2 cents. :ph34r:

I agree with those who have said that sportsmanship should be emphasized. This isn't war, this is a game. However, things have a way of filtering down, so I would bet that sportsmanship will begin to hurt at the high school level in another couple of years. It has just about disappeared at the college level, especially in football but in basketball as well.