Congratulations Bearden

GovMan

Bearden was incredible tonight against William Blount. They opened the game with an offensive flurry, the likes of which I'm not sure I've ever seen. I think it was like 30 something to 0 at one time. Their first ten players or so are interchangeable ... when they are on, they can all hurt you. I had made the comment earier on a thread that this was a "weak" Bearden team, but you would have never guessed it tonight. Tenacious, tenacious group of guys ...

Also, I'd like to acknowledge Bearden's coach. If I were a parent of one of his players or a fan, I'd be embarrassed tonight. Bearden was up by 40 - 50 points most of the game and yet they full court pressed until the final buzzer. It's easy to say, "that's just how we play," but they could have backed off the press and played half-court defense. At the end of the game, up 98 - 40 something, they still had some of their top level talent on the floor. The coach stood there while his players actually intentionally fouled a William Blount player with three seconds remaining in an attempt to get the ball back and score 100. I don't blame young men for their efforts, they are kids and they get excited about scoring 100. But I'm glad when my son goes to William Blount in few years, he'll be playing for a coach that has class. A coach who would "call off the dogs" in a game like tonight's to save embarrassing a bunch of young guys on the other team.

William Blount's entire coaching staff showed incredible class and restraint tonight by taking it like the men they are, acknowledging Bearden's coaches at the end, and holding their heads high. If it were up to me, I'd tell Coach Baumann to just file this one away in his memory banks and here in a few years when Blount is back up to the level they are headed, if they ever got a chance, make Bearden pay. But fortunately, he's a better person than me, cause he wouldn't do it. Even if he could ever beat Bearden like they beat Blount tonight, he'd stop short. Why? One word ... class.

I'm proud to be a William Blount Governor. There's more to this life than winning. Especially winning in the fashion that Bearden won in tonight. If it sounds like I'm crying, go ahead and take your shots. I'm crying because I hurt for a fine group of young men tonight. I know they choose to play competitive sports and you take the ups and the downs. But they DID NOT deserve what Bearden's coach dished out on them tonight.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On this particular night, robpride, WB couldn't "make them stop." That still doesn't excuse full court pressing to the last second of the game with a 50+ point lead. I would never expect Bearden--or anyone else--to not play as hard as they could the entire game ... but I would expect their coach to make some adjustments to maybe not completely humiliate WB's kids.

I happen to know Coach Curry. And I know how he would have felt in the particular game you are talking about if UT had ran a double reverse pass or faked a punt in the fourth quarter to try and tack on another score. In my opinion, that's the equivalent of what Bearden did in this game.

I'm not associated with either school but I have to say it is totally classless to press when you're up by nearly60 points. As a coach if I have a big lead I'll tell kids to keep working hard but I'll go half court man-to-man, or even a zone and that's with 2nd stringers(if they work hard inpractice they should play some too). I don't see any place in HIGH SCHOOL sports where you should embarrass a group of kids. High school sports is about learning life lessons. Sounds like the WB coach taught his kids how to deal with jerks.

Edited by Dalton91

Let's see. The score 96-44. The situation. WB calls timeout to hold the ball to keep the Bulldogs from scoring 100. Bearden's reaction....to start fouling to stop the clock. Excuse me, but that is not generally what you do when you are up 52. I was totally impressed with Baumann last night. 5 years ago, somebody might have gotten hurt. Now, Baumann knows there is more to life than a basketball game and he is to be commended for his demeanor and his class. Blevins is to be commended for having his team ready to play and play well; however, his lack of restraint in the last 4 minutes proved to actually hurt his kids incredible performance. Instead of everyone saying, wow you guys were awesome tonight, the comments are now wow what's Blevins got to prove and does he even care who he hurts. The kids will get over it. Coaches, however, take it as a personal insult and embarassment. A once respected coach form Bearden in the eyes of many Blount county coaches has come to an end. Of course, maybe it already should have. Early in the season, Blevins pressed to the end while pasting Stan Ballard 101-53, a former WB player who we all know has had cancer and has seen it all the last 6 or 7 years. At least in that game, he got his "100." Last night, all he got was a reputation that will never be forgotten. Will WB ever get to return the favor, probably not. As long as Blevins is at Bearden, he will always have enough talent to never be embarrassed like that. However, who cares. Revenge would not even satisfy the situation. When coaches intentionally hurt their peers like Blevins did Baumann last night, it puts a question on their character, and I officially question Blevins' character.

Great post from etcoach. Your sentiments are a perfect completion to what I was trying to get across with this post.

I know it sounds like I'm crying ... but I don't mean it that way. I was probably as impressed by Bearden's player's perfomance last night, especially the first few minutes of the game, as I've ever been by any high school team. They were incredible.

But I seriously question Coach Blevins' tactics and his refusal to call off the press. I'm no coach, but in my eyes, my respect dropped tremendously. Not for the Bearden players, but for their coach ... their leader ... their role model.

People often talk about one coach "outcoaching" the other. In my opinion, for what's really meaningful, Coach Baumann completely "outcoached" Coach Blevins in this game. Proud to be a Governor.

Edited by GovMan

I can see both sides of this. Blevins is old school. I like teaching your kids to have the killer instinct. People don't teach that enough, that is why you see high school games where teams down twenty points come back and win. At that same time, you hate to see kids get embarrassed. Blevins has been kicked around a lot here, and I am not so sure that it is warranted.

Mocs30,

Agreed on the "killer instinct" thing. I have seen teams come back from 20 down. But whens the last time you've seen a team come back from 50+ down in the final quarter of a game?

I've tried to come at it from every angle ... old school; playing hard the whole game; motivating your team for the next game; etc. etc. but I still cannot justify, condone in any way, nor accept what Coach Blevins did in this game and HE is ultimately responsible.

Up until last night, he had been one of the coaches I admired most in our district. Not any longer. But that's just me.

I'll start out with a very good quote I was told at about 8:30 to 8:45 last night.. " Adversity does NOT build character, but it reveals it. ".. As a player for the william blount governors I fully understand the importance of winning a basketball game... What I do not understand is the importance of beating a team so badly that it ruins the game.. Coach Blevins, first I'd like to congratulate you on an excellent win in district 3 3A. But I would also like to tell you thanks for the embarassment brought on to William Blount. Not just the basketball team, but the school.. I'd also like to tell you that you have brought just as much embarassment to your school, Bearden, it's student's and faculty, and your community. I'm now a senior at william blount and I'm still very proud. I love the man that I have played under for 4 years now. He has great character and great class and he's all about winning, but he also a MAN that understands the lessons life brings us.. At William Blount we're taught much more than to win a basketball game.. Here's what's taught at william blount. 1.. You win with class, you lose with class. * I'm pretty sure we lost with class* 2. we're taught how to be young men, not men of greed... And most importantly we're surrounded by winners who know what goes first and what goes last.

Guys I know you can say that we're whinning about it now at william blount, and that's ok... We ALL survived last night and it has only made us stronger. Not only as individuals, but as a team also. And at last us *winners* at william blount are going to keep our head held high, go to school and be the best student-athletes we can be, and then hit the hardwood w/ the intentions of only getting better.. GOOD thing basketball is a tournament sport. We have much time to improve upon this lose we have endured.. I'm a very proud athlete at William Blount High School. I'm still love putting on those school colors and fighting for a victory every time. YOU won't see me hiding the fact that I'm a basketball player at WB because in the end we'll be on top... ONE LAST THING GUYS, HOPE AND PRAY IT'S REMATCH TIME WHEN IT COMES TO DISTRICT.. WILLIAM BLOUNT VS. BEARDEN. only this time we'll WIN WITH CLASS INSTEAD OF LOSE WITH CLASS.. Thanks for taking your time to read my thoughts.. GO GOVS!!~

Stewart4240,

You showed me as much heart and leadership last night in defeat as any WB player has shown me in any situation in a long time. Your post fully exemplifies your spirit. You are a winner in more ways than any basketball score will ever indicate.

Thanks for playing hard ... thanks for your post ... good luck the rest of the way out. Let's "defend our house" this Friday night against the Rebels.