Tyler Parker, Collins Hill

RMC

Wrestlers don't get enought press; I thought you'd guys would like to read about great kid:

Two-time champ Tyler Parker is a 'thinking technician'

By Robert Haddocks

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

While in grade school, an undersized and self-conscious Tyler Parker went to his dad and asked him how he could get stronger. Per dad's advice, push-ups, sit-ups and calf-raises became part of Parker's daily routine.

Allen Parker didn't know then that he was creating a monster -- one who would make Collins Hill history by winning the state wrestling title as a freshman and a sophomore, and who would rip tendons in his dad's arm in a playful wrestling match. Courtesy of his son, Allen Parker bears a unique wrestling tattoo, a six-inch scar running down his biceps to the inside of his elbow.

Allen Parker doesn't wrestle much with Tyler anymore, but his two-time state champion son appears well on his way to a third title. He won last week's Gwinnett County championship in the 130-pound division, an incredible feat considering that he didn't start wrestling until the eighth grade. His father and Collins Hill coach Cliff Ramos said Parker is extremely dedicated and diligent at whatever he does.

"He's a sponge," Ramos said. "Anything he's ever been shown or learned, he knows and he knows it well. His technique is excellent, he's very strong, he has great balance and he's just an unbelievably hard worker."

Parker has compiled a 34-1 record this season, the only loss coming to Vincent Ramirez, a nationally ranked wrestler from North Carolina.

Parker, a straight-A student taking advanced placement classes, considers himself a thinking technician. "I wrestle more with my head," he said. "I take advantage of a lot of situations, and I don't burn myself out. I'm in good shape and I just analyze everything. It's a thinking sport when you're out there."

Parker, who moved up from the 119-pound class, adheres to a strict diet of high protein and carbohydrates, and excludes fats and any unhealthy products.

"Wrestling requires that you put in the extra effort," he said. "I don't drink carbonated drinks, or anything I know that is not going to help is just a no-do. You have to be very disciplined. You live it, you breathe it during the season. There's rarely a time when I'm not thinking about it. If you're not going to give everything you've got, you might as well not go out there."

Collins Hill's Joey Guiler and David Brunson both won three state championships. Parker has his eyes set on tying that mark next month, and if he does, he'll be a favorite for a four-peat. But the cerebral 16-year-old has a good grip on that, just like he has on each of his opponents.

"It's definitely crossed my mind, but I try not to think about it," he said. "I've just got to take it one match at a time."

Link to article: (Nice picture too)

http://www.ajc.com/highschool/content/spor...hool/index.html

He lost once and won once agaist Kyle James last year. His 2 loses last year were to Kyle James (in double overtime) and a kid from Ovedio out of Florida. The kid from Florida finished 50 - 0 and was the 3A state champion and #4 ranked in the country in his class. He was fourth in the NHSCA preseason nationals this year losing to 2 kids, also seniors, ranked in the top 6 in the nation.

Tyler is currently the 17th ranked Junior in the country according to Wrestling USA Magazine.

Edited by RMC