region 5: too many teams?

latino_steelers10

many people don't know but region 5 has 23 teams in it. that is entirely way too many. in fact, disrtict 9 has 14 teams and district 10 has 9. i think it is about time tssaa split the region. it ranges from the bottom of tennessee to almost nashville. i mean 23 teams and only the top 4 go, it's not that fair. some regions have like only 12 to 15 teams while region 5 has 23 teams, that's absurd. district 9 could form its own region. so what do you think?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three ways to settle this.

#1-Re-align all of the regions. Have 16 regions, top two in each region goes to state.

#2-Region 5 should have a district tourney to qualify for regionals.

#3-Any region with more than, say 15 schools, should be able to qualify 6 wrestlers for each weight class to go to state. The smaller regions only allowed three wrestlers per weight class.

Just three suggestions. Anyone else have an idea!!!!

Coach, why the sad face?

The regions have been re-aligned in the past. They will most likely be re-aligned in the future as well. Re the Bobvark post, he says he heard it would be in 2005. Not really that far off.

I read on here that most folks want the sport to grow. It is growing in regions that your school happens to be in right now. One thing has to happen before the next.

New schools, new wrestling teams bigger regions to compete for the places.

I think that the teams in that heavy region,(23 teams, dang that is a lot) have got a better chance there today to qualify their guys for the state, rather than re-alignment into, let's say region 3 or 4 where there are numerically only 10 or 11 teams. The ugly facts today are that teams in 3 and 4 will mostly likely dominate any of the newcomers. Is that fair to a new team? Or even a good team as yours? It is a question I am not going to answer now, but I throw it out there for opinions.

Combine regions 3 and 4? If that were to happen today we would have to name it the state tournament. (I know, an unpopular statement for anyone outside of that area, sorry).

I think re-alignment will occur, just not on the time frame that would seem to make everyone happy.

How would you suggest that the re-alignment be made?

I know you said it is no use to talk about it, but actually, that is what the board is for. (I know, your frustrated with previous efforts to resolve this, right?)

So you don't think Franklin, Brentwood, and Centennial can compete in your region. Please, everyone thinks their region is the best. Go back and look at the state results from D1 D2 split on and see where each region comes in.

I'm sure someone here can take the results from the state tournament last year and come up with the number of state placers from each region. Until you do that your only talking trash.

Basically the more guys you have go to state the better your program does, the better your program does the more wrestlers you get, and then you can really be good. No wonder there are only a few powerhouses in the smaller regions, they get success earlier and faster. Sure some new guy might not win but how easy would it be to get fourth, and get to see the state, and get even better for next year.

Bottom line, TSSAA will handle this. Until then, unless your willing to put up the numbers to prove your point it's only talk.

Bobvark,

First of all, I said as it is today. Not before the split. Second, I don't have a region, I took 3 and 4 as a for instance. Also, that "someone on here" can be you since you used it in YOUR argument. I said is was ugly facts, and that is what I meant. Do not be offended, it is not my intention. That is why I said it would not be popular, to take out the sting so that you could just respond with thoughts and not all emotion. Coach G is right, something needs to change. I threw out a couple of issues that may prevent the change and may seem unfair.

So, re-group, re-think , do a few push ups and then re-post with some good stuff.

Sorry Texas, my post was aimed at headtap. Your post was fine, I have no problem with any good argument. I do have a problem with trash talkers who hide behind their username (or give some false info).

Although I still say that whoever gets people to state will do better every year. Nothing breeds success like success.

By the way Headtap; in your own words...

A little modesty goes a long way.

Edited by Bobvark

Thanks Bobvark, I appreciate the come back response.

I do believe that based on what you posted, that Region V, as now set up, has much better opportunity to get wrestlers into the state tourny. There are four or five teams that can really take big squads, even in a 23 team enviroment. Just because of the level of competition. I think that is fair as of toady. On the other hand, I am interested in hearing what coach G has to say, from his point of view. His team lives it, along with the other 22 teams.