When should a head coach retire?

ELA

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

I know this may come as a shock to some of you, but sometimes we just don't know when to quit! I hope I can continue to coach football for another 20 years but that would put me coaching at the age of 65 and I'm not sure it's good for the sport to have men holding on to the reigns of power that long when there are great young coaches (35-40) who might be able to do a better job? Yes, I think a man should continue to coach football as long as he feels up to the task, but these young head coaches need experienced older coaches to help them prepare their respective teams for battle. I would love to know what you guys think about how long a man should hold onto the reigns of power as a head football coach in high school?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a per case issue. For instance, Coach Craig Kisabeth retired from coaching at JCHS before he was 50. He had been a head coach for 20 years and had gotten to where he did not enjoy coaching anymore. I think as long as a coach is enjoying himself and the program he is leading is successful, there is no age limit. I hear people talk about Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno and how the game has passed them by, but football is still the same game with the same fundamentals of blocking and tackling as it was when these coaches were young. I do think if a coach is going to stay in coaching at an advanced age he must be willing to change with the players he is leading. Coach Wooden proved this many years ago that flexability of the coach's thinking leads to success.

I think this is a per case issue. For instance, Coach Craig Kisabeth retired from coaching at JCHS before he was 50. He had been a head coach for 20 years and had gotten to where he did not enjoy coaching anymore. I think as long as a coach is enjoying himself and the program he is leading is successful, there is no age limit. I hear people talk about Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno and how the game has passed them by, but football is still the same game with the same fundamentals of blocking and tackling as it was when these coaches were young. I do think if a coach is going to stay in coaching at an advanced age he must be willing to change with the players he is leading. Coach Wooden proved this many years ago that flexability of the coach's thinking leads to success.

You make some good points! I think some men can stay in the game longer simply because they put younger, talented men in charge of their offense and defense. Those coaches who become managers of the game tend to outlast those who try to micro-manage the whole game. the biggest drawback to coaching "past the prime" is when you refuse to accept new ideas or you become locked into one method of operation.

It is all about adjusting....play to play.....game to game.......year to year...

If a Coach can adjust and not get set in his ways he can Coach as long as they want. Too often Coaches young and old learn one way to coach and stay with that mode of operation even to the point of failure.

Just look to the college and pro ranks if you think age has an impact. ###### Vermeil has got to be pushing early 70s and as long as he is winning he will be able to coach.

Ela, Did the decision to hire Tom Weathers at Soddy-Daisy, have anything to do with this poll?

It did start the ball rolling in Hamilton County but not out of disrespect to him or his record! I think the questions that have been raised by teachers and faculty in Hamilton County are ones regarding the question of "double dipping" and the two year rule which has nothing to do with anyones ability to coach.

My curiosity is to find out what the general public thinks about the age of a head coach in general. I feel like at the age of 45 I can still coach for 15-20 years and Coach Tom is an example of someone who still gets the job done at 63. I hope I am still coaching at that age!