Backhandspring help!

ballplayer12

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice on overcoming my fear of doing back handsprings. I had a solid back handspring last season, but one time in front of a crowd, I fell on my head. I haven't tumbled since. We are headed to competition soon and I would like to tumble again, but I am really scared. Any tips or drills I could use?

Hmmm...I'd have to disagree about the trampoline thing. That will only contribute to your fear of the ground. I'm sure you know that you can do it and your body knows how to do it....it's just overcoming the fear of that hard surface you hit the last time you did one. I've seen a lot of girls go through this. Some have come back from it and some have not. It all depends on your will power and how much you want it. If I were you I'd start off with 2 spots on a mat, then 1 on a mat, then alone on the mat, then 2 on the floor, then 1 on the floor, and then alone on the floor. I think that would be your best bet. You need to get started asap cause this might take a little while. Work at your own pace and believe in yourself...visualize your feet hitting the floor and that good feeling you get everytime you land a handspring. You just have to really put your mind to it. You can do it ballplayer! I've got faith in you.

I agree with yall about the trampoline...that will just make things worse. It screws up peoples tumbling all the time. But I have gotten mental blocks COUNTLESS times...and that's all it is...it will go away I promise, just be patient with yourself and don't stress and get mad and frustrated with yourself. That will also make it worse. Try doing them OVER and OVER with a spot, like one after the other. Don't think about it, just go, and once you land step back up and throw it again. I am sure if your spot knows you have it he/she will take their hand away as you sit for the handspring. That's when all you can do is stink it up and throw it. Like I said don't think about it, don't stand there for a long time and give yourself time to freak out. Try having someone count 5,6,7,8 for you and sit on 1 that way you are listening to the counts and aren't really thinking about falling. YOU CAN DO IT!!!