Very selfish players

ILuvsports

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of teams have this problem. I do not know of the girl you are talking about, but I do understand how you feel. Sometimes the coach puts so much pressure on one player, that he/she feels what she is doing is needed and thats what he/she is supposed to be doing. Some players are babied, and thats what bothers me the most. When a so called "great" player makes a mistake, (more than twice) and the coach just pats him/her on the back and says "its okay" and if another player does the same mistake,(once) they get chewed out, and get put on the bench. I think no matter how good you are, you need disicipline. And then there are players who want all the glory! He/She is hurting the team, this is when the coach needs to step up and take charge. The coach needs to set boundaries, and if they are crossed, he/she can take a seat on the bench. BaSkEtBaLL is a TEAM sport.. ONE PERSON WONT TAKE YOU FAR!! :)

As long as coaches and administrators are allowed to keep players "eligible" and not teach the kids responsibility, this will always be a problem.

I, for one, will treat everyone the same, bench my best player, if he/she does something wrong or makes bad grades. This has cost me wins and kept me in trouble with parents and administrators, but to me we are here to teach the players how to act and what to do, on and off the court.

As far as "selfishness" goes, if one player shoots more often, it could be by the coaxh's design. I will run plays to get these players the ball. So from the outside it looks selfish, but it may just be the plays the coaches are calling?

I have seen some great high school basketball teams through the years, and there seems to be one resounding theme with them: the players don't openly care who scores the points. It's human nature to want to be the person who gets credit for scoring the most, but keeping that inside where it belongs is important.

The real value is playing time. Being on the court for 20-25 minutes a game proves a player's true value -- in the coach's eyes -- regardless who scores the points. And if one kid gets 20 points a game and the team wins the vast majority of its games, then the rest of the players should be happy to be part of something successful.

Being part of something successful is a positive thing that shows kids the value of working together for a common goal, which will serve them well throughout their lives.

And it doesn't hurt to learn humility. If another kid scores most of the points and gets the lion's share of glory, they have their reward. The player who makes the great passes or plays enough great defense to allow that player to score all those points has a different opportunity to be rewarded.

MATTHEW 6:1-4

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

"Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

"But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth.

"That thine alms may be in secret: and the Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly."

In this case im pretty sure its not the coaches plays thats making her shoot every single time she touches it. I know the team and player that the orginal post is about. And shes even made that comment that she has to get her average higher than her teammates who is second in east tennessee in scoring by the prepxtra stats. As a result of her doing this the team has been losing and the other players on the teamare really really getting fed up with this and the team chemistry is going away fast. so as a teammate what would you guys do, do you go to the player and talk to her about it, do you talk to the coach or just sit back and watch your season go downhill?

In this case im pretty sure its not the coaches plays thats making her shoot every single time she touches it. I know the team and player that the orginal post is about. And shes even made that comment that she has to get her average higher than her teammates who is second in east tennessee in scoring by the prepxtra stats. As a result of her doing this the team has been losing and the other players on the teamare really really getting fed up with this and the team chemistry is going away fast. so as a teammate what would you guys do, do you go to the player and talk to her about it, do you talk to the coach or just sit back and watch your season go downhill?

Didn't see the name nor do I know anything else. Just trying to give possibilities. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

No feathers were ruffled..i was glad to see your opinion on it..i was just wondering as a player on the team..how would you go about dealing with something like that?

Go to the teammate first, calmly of course, find out why she does what she does? Is it parental pressure, "star syndrome", no faith in other teammates, etc... Let her know her play is effecting the TEAM. See if you cannot work together on the problem. (However, it sounds as if there is a lot of hard feelings towards her.)

If that doesn't work, talk to your coach. He/She may have a good explaination? If this does not satisfy you there are only two things to do.

1. Make the rest of the season the most enjoyable time. Because you can either dread going to practices and games (which ruins your whole day) or you can make the best of it. She CANNOT make you feel dreadful everyday. She can make you think it is but only can control how you feel. I hope that makes sense.

2. You can quit. Bringing parents, board members, etc... into the situation will only make it bad for everyone. If you really cannot stand it, get away from it.

Hope that helps!