class a mr basketball

MHSwarriors

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In west tn, I'll pick Dane Strayhorn. My main reason is because Strayhorn is averaging 27.36 points a game and he's only 5'10. He's been averaging these points since his freshmen year. He led his team to the State Final Four his sophomore year, and was voted All State. He has received All-District and All-Region every year in high school, and he broke the record at Halls High School for the most points scored in one game (47). And he was only a Sophomore when he broke that record. If I'm not mistakened, for the career high, he's broke that record as well. I think he'll be a good prospect for these colleges to look at. He has offers from Arkansas, Memphis, Southwest, and Dyersburg State. I think he's focusing on Memphis.

When I vote for Mr.Basketball this year, this is who I'm gong to pick and why. Hope everyone agree's, and remember this is my opinoin!

1.) Jamar Jenkins- This player is exciting and fun to watch. He has led his team to an impressive record, and should lead them to their first state tournament apperacne. He is averaging around 20 ppg, 10rpg... despite having a box-in-one on him night in and night out.

2.) Jonathan Cook- He is a Winner. He does whatever it takes for his team to win. He led them to some impressive victories, and like Jamar should lead them to a state tournament birth. He's averaging around 21ppg, and 6asst.

3.) Dane Strayhorn- He is a Winner. He absolutly carries his team on his back and makes them better. He has a great supporting cast , that should carry them to the state. Averaging around 26 ppg... though he takes alot of shot to get that, he is defintaley one of my canidates.

All three of these players are going to be playing college D-1 College Basketball.

The Mr.Basketball Winner will be the player who takes his team the deepest in the postseason.

I say Jamar Jenkins will win the Mr.BAsketball award, I feel he will lead his team the deepest in the postseason, and in no way is he overrated.

Gene Holiday

i completely disagree with that last post. i think puckett is better than jenkins. i've seen them both play before and i feel that puckett has the edge. he just seems better. he knows the game in and out. personally i dont feel that jamar is that good. he will be one of the top three this year because there are just not that much talent in 1A. not trying to down him completely he can be a great ball player when he wants to, it's just when i've seen him he's been a little lazy. sorry forrest fans. also daniel puckett will be a better player at the next level.

as for the strayhorn kid, only seen him play once at state, pretty good then, haven't seen him since. this is the first time i have ever heard of jonathan cook. who does he play for maybe i just don't know the name.

Go Warriors

Having played against three of the players mentioned (Pucket, Jenkins, and Daniel) and with two of them at some point during AAU (Jenkins and Daniel), my pick would have to be Jamar Jenkins. I would go with Daniel as a second, and Pucket as third. Here are my reasons:

1) Jamar Jenkins Sr. Forrest High School: An all-around versatile player who provides for some of the most excitement in the state. I remember playing with Jamar when he couldn't even dunk, and even back then I thought he had the game to be Mr. Basketball by the time he was a senior. Now that he CAN dunk (with ease), he is...a monster. I don't care what some people say, this boy is in NO WAY overrated. When we played him, we threw everything we had at him: we put a post on him, he pulled them outside and used his stroke to kill us. So we put a forward on him. He posted him up and still scored at ease. The exclamation point was his dunk in the third quarter that just took the air out of us. The boy put up 18 points against my team (which averages about 30 ppg, so you know they didn't have too many possesions becasue of our slow dowm approach) and he still had 18 points and 12 rebounds. The boy is amazing, and will be a star Western Carolina.

2) Ryan Daniel Sr. Goopasture High School: A good post player with worlds of potential. His only knock, is that he has NO outside game. If you can keep him out of the paint, he won't score. He blocks shots like a madman, and is an intimidating force simply because of his 6'11 stature. He too will be a quality player at UTC. When it comes to these awards, while it may seem unfair, I don't like to see big men get it. This Mr. BASKETBALL, the best ALL_AROUND player in the game. To get this award, I think the player should have both an outside and an inside game. While Ryan is a dominat force, he is not the best all-around player in the game. You look at the past two years and Tim Duncan has won the MVP of the NBA. He has a great inside game, but can step outside and drain the J. Ryan is more of a Patrick Ewing type. He will kill you inside, but if he steps out more than 10 feet, he's rendered helpless.

3) Daniel Pucket Jr. (I think?) McEwen High School: When I saw this boy play, to be honest, I was not impressed. I was surprised to see him handling the ball so much, and maybe if he had a real point guard to do that for him, he would be more of a consideration, but not now. He didn't seem to have THAT pure of a stroke, but continued to hoist up shot after shot behind the arc. He would slash occasionally, which he had great success at. I don't think he understrands what his strong points are, much like many bug men in high school basketball. Everybody wants to be Tracy McGrady, but not many have that type of game. I like Pucket's handles for his size, but I don't think he is of high enough quality for this prestigous award.

So there you have it, my picks. Granted I haven't seen Xavier Webb play, but I have heard great things about him. If I had a vote though, it would still go to Jamar Jenkins, who in my opinion, is the best player in class A this year.

Great post Gator25!

MHSwarriors: is the reason you don't believe Jamar is better than Daniel, due to the fact that Daniel is " YOUR BOY" or that you proabably are Mr.Puckett? Daniel, I feel is not a canidadate this year. I feel unfairly that he has to shoot the ball every time down the floor, and has to bring the ball up the floor.... bottom line is he needs help! It makes him look bad shooting the ball everytime and AVG 20 something points per game, anyone can take 30 shoots and have 20 points. Daniel would be the frontrunner with Webb next year, with my surprise pick Justin Bryant of Wayne Co. As far as Daniel being a better College player..... there is no possible way to tell if he will be a better college prospect!! Let's leave that up to Bob Gibbons and Gomab and people that are paid to make those prediction. ;) And as far as the lazy comment.. how can you tell lazy, from just flat out being tired and exhausted from playing hard. Are you sying that Daniel is never lazy? I'm sure every player in the sate has been lazy on the florr once. You don't get schlorship offer from being lazy. However; Daniel is a good player and it is difficult to see his talent cause he doesn't have much help.

Ryan Daniel: He has an attitude, I'll take an okay player with a good attitude before, a good player with a bad one.

And who is Jonathan Cook? Anyone who knows Class A Basketball know Jonathan Cook ;)

I know it's hard for someone to tell you your bestfriend is not a frontrunner for Mr.Basketball. It's okay he has next year, and since you care for him so much, do us all a favor and help him on the floor.

Gene Holiday

Edited by GeneP

yes he's "my boy" but is still truly think he is better(non-bias opinion). i don't want to keep arguing over this because he is the one that worked for this and not me, so if he does thats cool but i don't need to keep pumping his name up. about the father thing he's not my son hes one of my friends that i played ball with. i'm not trying to be a a-hole or nothing. so with that i will leave it up to him on the court to have a good season , be one of the candidates, maybe win it.

p.s. sorry bout dowing jamar jenkins. i really do feel you play great ball. it just seems to me daniel is better.

Go Warriors

Mr. Basketball is still up for grabs. The finalist will come down to who takes their team the deepest in the Postseason, or reputation. Every name that has been thrown in has a chance. Brandon Shane, and Xavier Webb are legit candidates based on numbers, but their teams dont have outstanding records. Shane would be a few votes ahead of Webb because of Statewide reputation. Jamar Jenkins is a clearcut finalist because of his teams success. Strayhorn does take alot of shots, but is clearly a leader. Take him from his team and they are probably not even playing above .500 basketball. His team has had success this year and he has statewide recogintion. He is a very legit candidate.

Jonathan Cook has a statewide reputation, and plays for the #5 team in the state.

If I had to pick today based on who Ive seen play it would be...

1. Brandon Shane- Everyone in the state knows his name, and his team will be in the thick of things in Feb.

2. Jamar Jenkins- good stats, good team(#4), good player. No Brainer!!

3. Dane Strayhorn- team was in final 4 two yrs ago, puts up huge numbers, MVP of district.

This is my opinion only, it could be many candidates. Remember that they usually come from the top ranked teams, unless they have a huge rep. I havent seen Gordonsville play but if this Austin kid is any good he can jump right in. Only if they keep their #1 ranking.