The Official Simpson-Hiller thread

stovepipe

irishdad Posted: Jan 27 2004 - 10:24 AM

Trainer

Group: Guests

Member No.: 52,367

You are right, and this how we set up the pit. We take the bleachers, split them and turn them to where they face one another. This puts you mere feet away from the action it also closes in the crowd. Making the noise level rise. No one has a bad view. At a past match Mr and Mrs Simpson sat in the middle of the mat at the far end. Thus they were not favoring either son or grandsons. It is gonna be a war!!!!!!!!!!

irishdad Posted: Jan 30 2004 - 11:16 AM

Trainer

Group: Guests

Member No.: 52,367

For those not in attendance our scoring table had its back to the MBA student section. They were no more than 2 ft behind me screaming like it was the Super bowl..Before we even got to that match I had stopped and ask them to move back to no avail.. It is over and done ..So if you still need to beat me up have at it...

did notice that there was not a "towel tapper" on the mat for the Hiller-Simpson match. After what happened at the end of that match, there was a "towel tapper' for the remainder of the evening. Its 20-20 hindsight, but it seems to me that for a match that big and crowd that loud, someone should have anticipated that the ref would have problems hearing the buzzer and had a "towel tapper" from the start . That would have helped the ref know when time had expired-------------------he would have felt the towel on his back----------and , if the reversal was late, stopped him from going through with the two point call. As it was, he made the call and then had to go over to the bench to see if time had expired before the call was made.

Also, I haven't seen anyone raise this yet, but if you look at the picture in the Nashville City Paper this morning, it appears that maybe William might have had an escape before the ref signaled that it was over. I was on the other side of the gym from the action and it appeared to me that William came out of the reversal pretty quick-----------almost instantly after the signal for 2 was given for Hiller. If the picture in the City Paper ( which even uses the word "escape" under the picture) is accurate, it doesn't look like the ref has waved off the match--------looks as if he is just starting to bring his arms up. If the reversal was in time, then the escape, if there was one, could have been too because it came almost right on the heels of Hiller's reversal. So maybe it should have been 4-4 and gone into overtime. That would have been the best way for this match to have been decided anyway.

Will sombody explain what exatly happened during the Simpson/Hiller match. I have read only a few comments about what happened, but, what is the real story? It sounds like it was a madhouse during the match.

Somebody help me with this. I did not see it; however, it sounds like it was wild.

Who was right, who was wrong and what needs to happen to ensure there is not this type of controversy again?

How did the crowds react and how did the wrestlers react? Did they handle it like professionals or what, or, was it like WWE??

Need your help on this.

Yeah hespinned, I was there and it was a mad house-in a good way. Packed house and everyone on their feet and loud. I'll tell you what I saw.

I was standing close to the edge of the mat during the match. As time was running out they were right in front of me. My view of the wrestlers was partially blocked by a bunch of NCW kids so I looked at the clock. I saw it hit 0.0 and looked down and saw Tim signal 2. They continued wrestling for maybe 5 seconds more before he noticed time had run out. Now, did he get 2 before time ran out and the signal was given just on or after, I don't know. And I can't comment on if he even got the reversal (in my mind) because I couldn't see 'em completely. Did Hiller establish control? Obviously the Ref thought he did. Who was right or wrong is immaterial now as what's done is done and there probably is no answer to that question. I think everyone would agree that an assistant ref needs to be utilized when MBA and Ryan get together. The crowd, of course, was evenly split between estatic and furious, but there was no name calling. Most I heard later were just walking around discussing the call. For what it's worth, no one I talked to thought Hiller got the reversal for sure. And that's on the Ryan side. But I've never figured out how you can watch the clock and the wrestlers at the same time and you sure couln't hear the horn.

Hiller and Simpson both handled it with class, no theatrics, shook hands and returned to their bench. Made me proud to know 'em. I will say that it was a very high level match with multiple NCAA type scrambles. Reminded me of March in that nothing was conceded and if you missed seeing it I feel sorry for you. You don't get to see matches like that often. It was an honor to witness it, really, and I hate to see them graduate but look forward to following their careers .