CLEVELAND @ MCMINN CENTRAL MONDAY

tngirl

Cleveland is definitely on a roll right now. They seem to be gaining strength and confidence while others are struggling as tournaments approach. Central got a wakeup call at Loudon and poor Polk evidently paid the price for it. I do not look for Cleveland to get 20 points ahead again and Central have to come roaring back. I look for a good, close game. I really like what the high schools have done in this area this year. The really "big" games are being played on Saturday or Monday to give other schools a chance to come in and watch. ex.-Walker Valley and Bradley last week, Cleveland vs. Central this week, etc. Helps all of us out that love great basketball and pads their gate and concession money too! :):):ph34r:

This game was not pretty at all. Cleveland is a very physical, very strong, very GOOD team. In all honesty, McMinn Central simply couldn't not compete with them tonight. Cleveland was clicking in each facet of the game including heart. McMinn Central, at times, seems to be going through the motions. They have great talent, but there seems to be a lack of leadership on the team that is exposed in games against agressive, strong defensive-minded basketball teams. A 42 pt. loss at home is not a good sign for the program, but the fact still remains that they are a strong AA basketball team who can be very weak on any given night. A team without a post player, like McMinn Central becomes very dependent upon turnovers caused by strong defensive pressure as well as a good shooting performance. When those two factors are falter or are equalized, then McMinn Central loses its advantage. It's happened in each of their 5 losses this season, but I do believe that as long as they play in Region 3, District 5-AA then they will compete for a district & region title, and this season is no different. When it comes time to meet District 6 in the Region Tournament, they will be prepared to play for a Substate birth and will probably recieve that birth. Though, they may not get beyond that stage into the State Tourney, I believe that is a pretty successfull season for a team who lost 3 starters. It's never easy to accept such a tremendous loss, but a mediocre Tennessee men's basketball team turned a 38 pt. loss to a ranked Florida team in January into a 3 pt. win only a month later. Therefore, anything can and will happen.