Why Students Shouldn't Celebrate on the Court...

MaryvilleRebels

ETHSATC....just to say that i will be going to the University of Tennessee a school that i will not cheer for in athletics! I have a few friends that play for UT, but i am a Florida Gator fan. I have been since i was born and it's hard enough for my parents to write that check to The University of Tennessee, but due to the fact that I can go to school here very cheap for basically the same education i'd be receiving at UF for $20k, I'm gonna stay here. Not to mention the fact this is the best area of the country! I will be at most of the games that UT plays in because i love athletics, but my heart is with the gators and LEE HUMPHREY (Just thought i'd throw that in since he's doing so well...even though the team isn't) so those are just a few reasons why someone would go to a school that they won't cheer for - but hey...atleast we both share the feelings that Maryvillerebels is a winner!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now sure college sports sell out more, but not because of the rushing of the court, its because of the passion. MaryvilleRebels

Now, oh child of ignorance you have just spoke the essence of why students / people rush the playing field after big contests. It's passion for the game. NOt because it fun to do when drunk

Well that may be true, but passion for the game does not mean that the fans have to take their passion into a mob mentality. I have passion for my team, but I don't have to run onto the court everytime they win. Passion does not have to be a frenzy. Like I said in my earlier post, Ashley Judd has enough passion for her team, UK, that she wouldn't wear a UNC jacket when she was cold. Another story of two UK fans...

A guy I know was visiting a friends house and he sat down to watch the UK game with his friend and his friend's father. UK lost a close game, the fans had been drinking and when UK lost the son threw his beer (half full) at the TV and shattered the tube. The father without missing a beat threw his half full beer into the tv and it clanged against the front. They have passion, but they didn't need to form a mob to show it.

Maryville[/url]Rebels' date='Feb 18 2004 - 02:34 PM']

A guy I know was visiting a friends house and he sat down to watch the UK game with his friend and his friend's father. UK lost a close game, the fans had been drinking and when UK lost the son threw his beer (half full) at the TV and shattered the tube. The father without missing a beat threw his half full beer into the tv and it clanged against the front. They have passion, but they didn't need to form a mob to show it.

Hey, I'm with you as a UK fan. Glad to see another Wildcat fan BUT that's not a great example. They didn't have to show a mob mentality they just destroyed a tv in a rage with half-full beer cans. Passion yes, but still misdirected passion.

Maryville[/url]Rebels' date='Feb 18 2004 - 02:34 PM'] Well that may be true, but passion for the game does not mean that the fans have to take their passion into a mob mentality.  I have passion for my team, but I don't have to run onto the court everytime they win.  Passion does not have to be a frenzy.  Like I said in my earlier post, Ashley Judd has enough passion for her team, UK, that she wouldn't wear a UNC jacket when she was cold.  Another story of two UK fans...

A guy I know was visiting a friends house and he sat down to watch the UK game with his friend and his friend's father.  UK lost a close game, the fans had been drinking and when UK lost the son threw his beer (half full) at the TV and shattered the tube.  The father without missing a beat threw his half full beer into the tv and it clanged against the front.  They have passion, but they didn't need to form a mob to show it.

have you EVER had fun in your life? i mean come on! i do not drink, but i have definetely stormed a court/field once or twice in my day and that's because of the energy, excitement, rivalry, and being in the moment of an exciting game! and you're right, passion does not have to be in a frenzy, passion can be following your team to a far away place to watch them play, keeping up with their every move, or supporting them in any way possible - there are many silent forms of passion, probably the passion you show, but many others like to voice their passion or show it through their emotions...you should try having fun sometime, it's probably not as awful as you think

oh and your example...HORRIBLE

Edited by yallalreadyknow248

Well that may be true, but passion for the game does not mean that the fans have to take their passion into a mob mentality.  I have passion for my team, but I don't have to run onto the court everytime they win.  Passion does not have to be a frenzy.  Like I said in my earlier post, Ashley Judd has enough passion for her team, UK, that she wouldn't wear a UNC jacket when she was cold.  Another story of two UK fans...

A guy I know was visiting a friends house and he sat down to watch the UK game with his friend and his friend's father.  UK lost a close game, the fans had been drinking and when UK lost the son threw his beer (half full) at the TV and shattered the tube.  The father without missing a beat threw his half full beer into the tv and it clanged against the front.  They have passion, but they didn't need to form a mob to show it. 

have you EVER had fun in your life? i mean come on! i do not drink, but i have definetely stormed a court/field once or twice in my day and that's because of the energy, excitement, rivalry, and being in the moment of an exciting game! and you're right, passion does not have to be in a frenzy, passion can be following your team to a far away place to watch them play, keeping up with their every move, or supporting them in any way possible - there are many silent forms of passion, probably the passion you show, but many others like to voice their passion or show it through their emotions...you should try having fun sometime, it's probably not as awful as you think

oh and your example...HORRIBLE

I agree with you yallalreadyknow248..... Thats about the stupidest comparison i have ever heard....It sounds like your two buddies (MaryvilleREbels) were acting like "the drunk Fans" at UT. Sounds like they have a bigger drinking problem that our fans. All we do is run out there and celebrate {Sober or not} and if we lose, you don't go see fans going and slashing tires or something stupid like that.

Edited by TnVols23

Maryville[/url]Rebels' date='Feb 19 2004 - 12:00 AM'] Breaking your own television set is a little different than storming the court and making a high school basketball player a parapalegic for the rest of his life. <_<

True but it doesn't show any self-control either. What happened to that player was a horrible, horrible acciedent and certeinly may raise some concerns about fans rushing the floor but what those guys did was just plain idiotic.

although i have my own thoughts on "rushing the floor", i would like to remind everyone that in the last several years this very subject has been discussed at various association and conference levels both college and high school.....

and it is still being discussed as to how best "prevent" that type of conduct.....

my inside information tells me that in the next 18 months, there will be rules at both the college and high school level to address fans rushing the court.......

I DO NOT KNOW what those rules will be, but i do know that in the past, some discussion has been about fines, game forfeitures, etc.....

what are your thoughts.... what should be the rule and how should it be enforced?

Edited by mg

Guest CheeseWheelJunction21

the reason students shouldnt celebrate on the court is that their might fall off. now they run just as good a chance to losing their if they do celebrate so i guess in conclusion you should celebrate because either way you are going to lose your s so wh

Careful how you express yourself if you want to remain on this board..Bballtn

Edited by BBALLTN